Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 05:23 AM

75 posts, read 233,749 times

Advertisements

We have an opportunity to relocate, but the company does not have a relocation plan that includes a backstop offer in the event our home doesn't sell quickly. They are offering a large lump sum to cover all of these costs instead. I guess a home can always sell if you price it low enough, but we are a young family, and cannot afford to lose our shirt on our house. We have only owned it for under 3 years, so I do not expect a ton of price appreciation and given realtor fees, we are worried about even breaking even on a sale if we price it low enough to sell quickly (we have two kids and do not want to live in a corporate rental for more than a month or two).

Does anybody have any experience with the current market in east Cobb? The house is located in Walton HS district, is a 4BR 2 1/2 BA, and has a large bonus room above the 2 car garage. Are quick sales possible in this market (i.e by quick I am saying in less than 2 or 3 months)? Would anybody out there be courageous enough to go ahead and move and take the risk they will break even on the house? Obviously, the potential employer wants an answer and we need to move fast. Thanks for your opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 06:52 AM

4 posts, read 12,196 times
Dear Gnatty:
You should always follow your realtor's advice on how to maximize your home's saleability. Hopefully you will select a realtor that is all about East Cobb. If you go HSBO, then you know the ropes, right?
I sold my last home in less than 7 hours because it had new carpet, fresh paint, and the frontal image was enhanced. Polish your brass, paint the front door, landscape tastefully, board the pets, put on some smooth jazz, a touch of seasonal scent, some fresh houseplants, crisp linens on all the beds, bathrooms cleaner than the Ritz Carlton, Fresh flowers on the entry way table, put all your extraneous stuff in a storage facility nearby, remove all the magnets off the fridge, send the kids to camp and beg the neighbors to cool it. Think positively. If you can't sell a 4/2.5 in Walton district, East Cobb right now, then something is terribly wrong.
However, never move to a new job, new city for just the money. If you positively absolutely have to go, just remember that buying back into East Cobb after you've come to your senses will be very costly.
Good Luck !!!

Old 06-23-2007, 04:25 PM

14 posts, read 39,911 times
I think, if you price it fairly, it will move pretty quickly in that market. I agree with the other poster, follow your agent's advice about how to price it to get it to sell in the first 30 days. And also follow his or her advice about how to spruce up the house (fresh, neutral paint, etc) to help it sell quickly. Find an agent who sells a lot of homes in your neighborhood/area. Walton school district should sell quickly in the summer months if you price it right.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:37 AM

Thanks to you both, that's very encouraging. I plan on using a staging company to maximize the house's appeal. We have almost new carpet in the bedroom areas (very neutral color, about a year old), slate tile in the foyer and laundry room, and just had the kitchen redone last year, so hopefully that will help us out.

I can't see us moving back here. We gave the metro area a chance for about 4 years and it just didn't do it for us, so we are moving back to New England. I know that January and February can be a little tricky, but I have always foudn it easier to dress for cold weather than for hot weather, and the pollution and traffic here is awful. Anyway, thanks again, I am encouraged by your points. We see a realtor today so I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Old 06-24-2007, 08:34 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,212,916 times
Gnatty- please let us know what your realtor says, thanks. We are thinking about buying in the Walton school district later this year, and are curious about the state of the housing market there. I assume it is hot during the summer because parents want to be there by the start of school.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:50 AM

My wife tells me we are actually in the Pope HS district. Wonder if this will make a large difference?

Old 06-25-2007, 02:47 PM

62 posts, read 436,402 times
Still in a good district. If priced correctly for neighborhood and shape, you will be fine as long as it is on the market asap. Most people buy and want to get moved before August due to school.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:20 PM

Realtor came to our house and feels confident she can have a contract on it within 3 to 4 weeks, mainly because of the extensive remodeling we have done (almost everything is new: paint, flooring, appliances, kitchen, hot tub, light fixtures, bathroom), but I am still skeptical. I have seen houses on the market for months and months, but maybe they were not cared for or updated? Anyway, will let you know what happens, we plan on listing tonight.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:09 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,212,916 times
Good luck Gnatty. Houses are staying on the market for months during the summer in the Pope district? That seems surprising to me.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:22 PM

1,123 posts, read 6,538,018 times
It could be poor pricing - some people are still stuck in 2005/2006, not realizing that buyers are really hesitant to take the plunge now. It's usually people who either bought 2-3 years ago and are still trying to make a big profit or, like Gnatty guessed, they have no upgraded their house like their neighbors, but still think they can command that price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: