U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-18-2011, 12:36 PM
 
1,301 posts, read 1,136,786 times
Reputation: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
How do you expect to learn if you choose to surround yourself only with people who share your point of view?

I respect your desire to do that, but would find it rather limiting intellectually. My own beliefs have changed quite a bit over the past few decades, mainly due to exposure to other peoples' beliefs and experiences.
It's simple I educate myself. I listen to a ton of talk radio on the left and on the right. I also watch MSNBC & FoxNews to get the opposing takes on things. I also reguarly read Liberal leaning columnist like Cynthia Tucker and Jay Bookman at the AJC. I take a look at the Daily Kos and The Huffington Post while I am at work.

Bottomline is that I know enough Liberal/Democrats and keep myself informed on what they and the mainstream Left has to say on things that are important to me. It is through this I have shaped my opinions and it is why I feel so strongly that I have very little in common with these people in any sort of a social context.

You need to look no farther than the Left blaming any and every Conservative out there for the Tucson shooting when NO evidence was there and before the bodies of the dead were even cold. Yet I am supposed to have a reasoned conservation with someone who thinks this way. NO THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2011, 12:48 PM
 
13,779 posts, read 8,159,124 times
Reputation: 3227
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberMoon View Post
I am not leaving Georgia because people are conservative minded. I am leaving because this place does not feel like home to me. Home for me is a place where people are diverse and open-minded and democrats and republicans can get along and actually be friends. I'm sure, in this fairly large state, there are plenty of people like that out there. But I haven't come across many of them and therefore, this place just doesn't feel like home.
I can understand that. In fact there are a lot of diverse and open-minded people living here but it's easy to get the impression there are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2011, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Midtown Atlanta
4,110 posts, read 2,421,471 times
Reputation: 1441
OctoberMoon - I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for you here. I have found that my intown friends are generally open minded folks - conservatives and liberals alike, black and white alike, straight and gay alike - who all (for the most part), despite their differences, are able to respect that we are all humans, that we are here for a short time, and that divisiveness and segregation are intellectually untenable in a healthy society. Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2011, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
9,913 posts, read 13,529,180 times
Reputation: 2713
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
It's simple I educate myself. I listen to a ton of talk radio on the left and on the right. I also watch MSNBC & FoxNews to get the opposing takes on things. I also reguarly read Liberal leaning columnist like Cynthia Tucker and Jay Bookman at the AJC. I take a look at the Daily Kos and The Huffington Post while I am at work.
You do realize that many (if not most) talk radio hosts on both sides are more interested in pushing buttons than in discussing real issues? And that writers are hired because they bring in readers, not necessarily because they are capable of insightful commentary (although some might be)?

What is the "mainstream Left"...? I think you'll find that beliefs come in many shades of gray, not black and white so much.

Quote:
You need to look no farther than the Left blaming any and every Conservative out there for the Tucson shooting when NO evidence was there and before the bodies of the dead were even cold. Yet I am supposed to have a reasoned conservation with someone who thinks this way. NO THANKS
How could anyone come to that conclusion until after the motivations of the person doing the shooting are actually analyzed? And you assume that folks like me believe this?

Sounds like some people are going off before the facts are in ... regardless of their political persuasion, that isn't a responsible thing to do.

You believe all liberals believe the above ... Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2011, 01:21 PM
 
1,301 posts, read 1,136,786 times
Reputation: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
You do realize that many (if not most) talk radio hosts on both sides are more interested in pushing buttons than in discussing real issues? And that writers are hired because they bring in readers, not necessarily because they are capable of insightful commentary (although some might be)?

What is the "mainstream Left"...? I think you'll find that beliefs come in many shades of gray, not black and white so much.


How could anyone come to that conclusion until after the motivations of the person doing the shooting are actually analyzed? And you assume that folks like me believe this?

Sounds like some people are going off before the facts are in ... regardless of their political persuasion, that isn't a responsible thing to do.

You believe all liberals believe the above ... Really?
No I dont believe all Liberals feel that way but some do. Do a simple Google search to see that before the bodies of the dead were even cold they were blaming Palin. She had to come out with a response to state how sickened she was about it.

Now to be fair I understand that only the most radical out there would place blame within 24 hours of this tragedy without knowing the shooters motives but one thing I do know is that no one on the right was doing it.

What many on the left dont get is that FAR more people that have a bully pulpit speak for you than for those of us on the right. In reality all the right has is talk radio, FoxNews and some websites and blogs like Redstate. Now consider your allies which I list below in comparison.

The mainstream left would be as follows(in my opinion):

Hollywood from top to bottom!
ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC
MOST major news papers like the New York Times and the AJC.(On the editorial side)
NPR
The Huffington Post
The Daily Kos
Media Matters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2011, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
625 posts, read 508,266 times
Reputation: 227
I think that numbers mean little. It's contributions to society and taxes that only matter, and conservatives are the ones that do all the work and pay all the taxes. You don't even need a GED to become a reporter on news. A newspaper columnist is more educated than a TV news reporter, and that's pretty pathetic in and of itself...

All the big time republicans are the leaders of the corporations, whereas all the big time dems are all in hollywood. Bunch of uneducated actors and former drug addicts and "artists"... and "career politicians" like Obama and Clinton, desperately vying for attention to the non-tax-paying lower fringe of society...

Sh*t I bet the whole Clinton family is in Atlanta right now since it's MLK week..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2011, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Midtown Atlanta
4,110 posts, read 2,421,471 times
Reputation: 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
No I dont believe all Liberals feel that way but some do. Do a simple Google search to see that before the bodies of the dead were even cold they were blaming Palin. She had to come out with a response to state how sickened she was about it.

Now to be fair I understand that only the most radical out there would place blame within 24 hours of this tragedy without knowing the shooters motives but one thing I do know is that no one on the right was doing it.

What many on the left dont get is that FAR more people that have a bully pulpit speak for you than for those of us on the right. In reality all the right has is talk radio, FoxNews and some websites and blogs like Redstate. Now consider your allies which I list below in comparison.

The mainstream left would be as follows(in my opinion):

Hollywood from top to bottom!
ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC
MOST major news papers like the New York Times and the AJC.(On the editorial side)
NPR
The Huffington Post
The Daily Kos
Media Matters
I am not blaming Palin or anyone else out there for the shooting, other than for the shooter himself. However, I believe that someone prone to emotional disturbance and violence can be incited to act by vitriolic speach. Heavens, the school bully was more easily provoked by words than the school wimp. I think that is the point here. And, it's neither a Republican nor Democrat, conservative nor liberal, problem. It's a societal problem and we have to accept that words have consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2011, 02:29 PM
 
903 posts, read 821,023 times
Reputation: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post

What many on the left dont get is that FAR more people that have a bully pulpit speak for you than for those of us on the right. In reality all the right has is talk radio, FoxNews and some websites and blogs like Redstate. Now consider your allies which I list below in comparison.

The mainstream left would be as follows(in my opinion):

Hollywood from top to bottom!
ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC
MOST major news papers like the New York Times and the AJC.(On the editorial side)
NPR
The Huffington Post
The Daily Kos
Media Matters
You're neglecting The Wall Street Journal, the Washington Times, and a number of conservative leaning papers throughout the U.S. in major cities.

Plus, Fox News has higher ratings than all other news networks. I'm waiting for their viewers to realize the "poor little old us" alternative news routine is a sham since they have been dominating for a few years now. And they're now contributing directly to the Republican Party. They're beyond establishment now, but whatever.

ABC News can be pretty conservative at times. And talk radio has a significant listenership that is almost completely dominated by the right wing. Again, people need to stop pretending like this stuff isn't mainstream.

I don't see how CNN is all that liberal, especially when compared to MSNBC and Fox.

Most mainstream media isn't all that liberal, IMO, except for reporting on global warming and discrimination issues (gay marriage, race relations, etc.) They are pro-sensationalist more than anything else--i.e,, they report whatever stories will get them the highest ratings. And they're extremely pro-big business/pro-Wall Street, which is much more of a conservative bias anyway.

The bottom line is that over the last two decades, conservatives have worked hard to try to convince the public that "the media" is liberal in order to make outfits like Fox News and Rush Limbaugh somehow look more moderate and middle-of-the-road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2011, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
625 posts, read 508,266 times
Reputation: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
The bottom line is that over the last two decades, conservatives have worked hard to try to convince the public that "the media" is liberal in order to make outfits like Fox News and Rush Limbaugh somehow look more moderate and middle-of-the-road.
Middle America is tired of hearing the opinions of uneducated stupid "reporters". Middle America works for a living. They don't fly around and interview people all day and call that "work".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2011, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
9,913 posts, read 13,529,180 times
Reputation: 2713
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
I think that numbers mean little. It's contributions to society and taxes that only matter, and conservatives are the ones that do all the work and pay all the taxes. You don't even need a GED to become a reporter on news. A newspaper columnist is more educated than a TV news reporter, and that's pretty pathetic in and of itself...

All the big time republicans are the leaders of the corporations, whereas all the big time dems are all in hollywood. Bunch of uneducated actors and former drug addicts and "artists"... and "career politicians" like Obama and Clinton, desperately vying for attention to the non-tax-paying lower fringe of society...

Sh*t I bet the whole Clinton family is in Atlanta right now since it's MLK week..
Sure ... fiscal conservatism makes sense when one already has a lot of gold in one's pockets, and religious conservatism tends to help keeps the proles from questioning their betters. That isn't surprising.

But ... conservatives do all the work? Wow. I can't even address that with a straight face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top