U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-13-2011, 09:37 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,287,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post

actually though, i'm surprised big boi's latest hasn't made a bigger splash yet; been out for over half a year and i still don't hear it on the radio, and it's even been nominated for a grammy. best new hip-hop track i've heard in quite awhile.
I agree... call it what you may, but i think somewhere along the line, the entities that control what is played on the radio do this on purpose... I think certain people/powers would rather dumb down the young, passive listeners of rap/hip-hop music rather than give them some lyrical, vocabulary-bending, thematically-evolving, potentially revolutionary alternatives...

BTW, In a recent interview, Waka said that he was "acting stupid" in order to break into the music industry because that is what they wanted. Now, he says he plans to show us his intelligent side...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-13-2011, 09:52 AM

12,562 posts, read 7,170,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
LMAO. That joint had me in tears..

I didn't get the inside joke on the line about "Catch me in the kitchen dog whippn' up the babies." What's that about?

That Big Boi video is great. Love the muppet guitar player with the talk box tube.

Unread 02-13-2011, 09:53 AM

reposted jewels...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxKVKMcPOXU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8yHBmnFxWU

Can't find part 3...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHYRY...eature=related

Unread 02-13-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I didn't get the inside joke on the line about "Catch me in the kitchen dog whippn' up the babies." What's that about?

That Big Boi video is great. Love the muppet guitar player with the talk box tube.
"Whippin up babies" refers to mixing (whipping) baking soda and cocaine with water on a stove in order to make crack... However, in the parody, he is actually talking about whipping (spanking) a baby...

Unread 02-13-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
"Whippin up babies" refers to mixing (whipping) baking soda and cocaine with water on a stove in order to make crack... However, in the parody, he is actually talking about whipping (spanking) a baby...
Ah, thanks. Yeah, I saw him whacking the kid but wasn't getting the pun.

Is crack still a big deal? For some reason I was thinking that was an 80s thing.

Unread 02-13-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Ah, thanks. Yeah, I saw him whacking the kid but wasn't getting the pun.

Is crack still a big deal? For some reason I was thinking that was an 80s thing.
Oh yes it's definitely still a big thing... I think it is promoted more now publicly than it ever has been (while in the 80's, it was largely admonished). However, the impact seemed more severe in the 1980's because it came out of nowhere like overnight and ravaged large portions of the black community... The effects are still felt to this day...

There are entire sub-genres of hip-hop/rap music that exclusively and intimately discuss the intricacies of selling crack and cocaine... Think "Trap Music" or "Crack Rap"... (Unfortunately, it is often touted today as a surefire method for a poor kid to get rich... I wonder why this type of music is promoted moreso than the Big Boi that was previously posted? )

Unread 02-13-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Oh yes it's definitely still a big thing... I think it is promoted more now publicly than it ever has been (while in the 80's, it was largely admonished). However, the impact seemed more severe in the 1980's because it came out of nowhere like overnight and ravaged large portions of the black community... The effects are still felt to this day...
Interesting. I'm way out of touch but I would have guessed folks had moved on since the cocaine heyday of the 80s. Back then it was also a fad in the white community but for some reason it seemed to lose popularity, or at least its glamor.

Unread 02-13-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Interesting. I'm way out of touch but I would have guessed folks had moved on since the cocaine heyday of the 80s. Back then it was also a fad in the white community but for some reason it seemed to lose popularity, or at least its glamor.
I think recreational cocaine use may have lost its popularity. But crack is a whole different story... I don't think it was ever "popular", just extra cheap and incredibly addictive (a recipe for disaster).

For many, the phrase "cocaine addict" may conjure a certain image. But a "crackhead" conjures a whole different, usually more sad, disturbing image. (Think Johnny Depp in "Blow" vs. Chris Rock in "New Jack City" or the guy that Larenz Tate shot for propositioning him in "Menace II Society"...)

I guess they are both similar, but crack is like cocaine stripped of all it's luster and concentrated in the poorest of American communities. Conversely, I believe in its heyday, cocaine was used by a more affluent crowd while i think crack has always been regulated to the slums and poorest communities...

Also the profit margin is higher for those who sell crack vs cocaine... So in the poorest communities, the kids who sell the crack (the cheapest and most potent and addictive form of cocaine) continue to sell it within their own communities (often to hopeless and impoverished adults) in order to "make something out of nothing" and the cycle continues...

The "Trap Music/Crack Rap" that I mentioned earlier is simply the soundtrack to this lifestyle...

Unread 02-14-2011, 11:16 PM

341 posts, read 351,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
Wacklanta represents the worst in hip hop at the moment hands down. In stark contrast, New Orleans is making a buzz among real heads nationally at the moment. With artists like Dee 1, Curren$y, Jay Elect, Nesby Phips, K Gates, The Show, Ceasar Parkway, Dappa, Dizzy, Slangston Hughes, Lyrical Genius, Jeaux, Kidd Kidd Truth Universal etc... among the up and comers, you can argue that New Orleans is very much poised to turn the tide against the trash that has infected hip hop in recent years.
Forgot about Trademark da Skydiver and Young Roddy from N.O. who form the JETS with Curren$y.

Unread 02-15-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
The "Trap Music/Crack Rap" that I mentioned earlier is simply the soundtrack to this lifestyle...
Thanks for explaining, equinox.

I agree with your earlier post that "Unfortunately, it is often touted today as a surefire method for a poor kid to get rich... I wonder why this type of music is promoted moreso than the Big Boi that was previously posted?)

There is so much creative power out there. I hate to see it used to make the things that cause serious problems seem cool.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta