U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 04:08 PM

8 posts, read 16,015 times

Advertisements

In Georgia???????? what city do you live in? there are too many bitter people to count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 08:10 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,518,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
It is not a Southern Urban Myth! As I stated, when I first moved here, I was asked a few times (2 or 3) within the first week (when conversing with ppl about how we're new here)......"Have you chosen a Church?" Not to mention the multiple ppl suggesting 12 Stone to me. Not a problem. I just told them, "Sorry, we're Greek Orthodox, our Church is in Atlanta." Sure, maybe it's a suburban thing (Buford, Dacula area), maybe it's my age (38) and the fact that I have 2 kids (with me always), and the fact that I had just moved here. Let me also point out, that the gas station in Dacula on Braselton Hwy says, "Thank you and Have a Blessed Day," when you are finished pumping gas. There's also a Genesis hair salon down the road. Genesis?
It doesn't bother me. I am who I am. I love it here, the people are friendly, but in my opinion, religion absolutely is more pronounced here than where I am from.
That rock station, 96. something (I listen to it, just can't remember the exact dial position) even had a prayer before a race over the summer. Maybe it was more towards the fall. Can't remember. But I have never heard a local radio station, esp Rock, do a prayer on air before any event.
Haha, those 12Stoners...

There is a reason we were the 16th fastest growing church in the nation.

I've been asked many times where I go to church. Generally it happens in a corresponding conversation. Although when I moved into my house, started my job, etc. it was asked a little more frequently. In the end it doesn't bother me, as I do regularly attend church. However, as long as someone asked in a polite and nonjudgmental tone, I'm not sure why anyone would mind.

Have a blessed day, y'all!

Old 01-30-2011, 08:23 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,901,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
Haha, those 12Stoners...

There is a reason we were the 16th fastest growing church in the nation.

I've been asked many times where I go to church. Generally it happens in a corresponding conversation. Although when I moved into my house, started my job, etc. it was asked a little more frequently. In the end it doesn't bother me, as I do regularly attend church. However, as long as someone asked in a polite and nonjudgmental tone, I'm not sure why anyone would mind.

Have a blessed day, y'all!
LOL

Old 01-30-2011, 09:14 PM

256 posts, read 660,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
Couldn't agree more. The people here are the definition of un-cool. My advice is don't wait, get out now. The job isn't worth it. I've been to other cities out west and even the Taxi drivers said they felt the people here were the worst in the U.S.
Dude you are so full of s***.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:28 PM

650 posts, read 1,314,019 times
congrats, and welcome to atlanta.

Im gald to see, NOT everyone, claims they cant find a job..

Im glad to hear, BOTH you guys found jobs..

Old 01-31-2011, 01:21 AM

66 posts, read 113,752 times
Ya, I had no real problem finding a job. I mean, it wasn't overnight but if you can't find a job here, try Michigan... there's ten times as many here. As I said, my fiancee is still looking for a better job, she's not big on the part time thing. (Hard in her field without experience, she's at least getting experience right now. Plus, she does like the job, just wishes it was full time)

Again, we probably should have been better prepared. Either had more money or been better about not blowing it when we first got here, lol. But we're doing VERY well now. Plus, we both like the city. We just need to find a way to make some friends, outside of my coworkers and a guy I went to High School with who now lives 45 minutes out, I don't know anyone... my land lord is nice but a little older and not someone who I'm likely to become friends with. I need to meet people my own age with similar interests. (Film, writing, literature, art, video games, etc...) Any suggestions on that would be appreciated.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:44 AM

439 posts, read 717,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBison2007 View Post
Ok....

As a native Georgian...I've gotten asked what church I go to a time or two (not often though, maybe 5 times in my 18 years of being in GA?)...I have actually ASKED others though when I was in GA but I didn't mean to offend people (even after I stopped going to church) because so many people do it that you just assume. I'm not saying it's politically correct but You have to realize that most southerners were dragged come hell or high water to church almost every Sunday of their lives so it's pretty much ingrained in us. It's kinda like the southern version of asking "sooo...what bars do you hang out at?" ...but I don't think people should get sensitive about it...just stand your ground...I was a democratic, unreligious, liberal girl who likes the "honesty" of Georgia's people and I hope to move back..It's the only city I felt where I could actually talk about my views and get honest reactions. I don't want to talk to a person who listens to me but is secretly thinking "omg" . I want them to come right out and say what's on their mind so we can talk about it and I can educate them in the process. Alot of my friends are republican rednecks(yeah it suprises me even lol) along with my other Southern friends of other races/religions but they're the only people who've kept in touch with me, remember my birthday, sends their best wishes and support if I'm down....My friends in D.C.well.......They all disappeared as soon as I ran into financial difficulties. As soon as I wasn't "socially and financially mobile" I was dumped from their phones....

When I stopped going to church I would tell people 'yep I don't go to church" and yeah I would get the looks of 'SHE'S A HEATHEN" but if you just go "I don't go to church because I prefer to worship alone and with my family" you'll usually get the southern response of "Oh my goshh i knowww! I SWEAH-UH churches ain't what they used to be" and ya move on and might get an interesting tale or two from the encounter (or a friend)....if not, they're TRULY a religious fanatic and you have those in ANY city...or else if you're an atheist and don't believe in anything just tell em...I told people I was a Wiccan at one point which I was and they were cool....Heck, I even converted a few.

...so excuse the poor southerner for not knowing what else to say to make a pal or wanting to get to know more about a person.

Now there is a difference between the person asking 'so what church do you go to" with a cute smile on their face who doesn't know any better and the person who asks after you KNOW they already despise you 'OH, so what church do YOU go to" so that when you say "I'm not even religious" or "I go to hood Church B that is known for taking in prostitutes" they can gloat to all their friends about how sinful you are. The latter is just a jerk...plain and simple......again people in other cities do the same thing just with other social devices such as "oh so what country club do YOU attend?"...You just gotta learn what to do in a different culture and roll with the punches a bit and AGAIN stand your ground no matter what you believe in.....

BTW@October...I'll bet you 300 dollars that the awful woman you spoke with was trying to get your husband's job or was extremely jealous...just trying to find a way to make you all look bad. I would have told her where to stick her cross at right there on the spot!!!
This is Great! I be the same. There's a lot of rivalry between workers who have been in Ga. towards the ones tranferred to Ga.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:28 AM

124 posts, read 356,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing147 View Post
I need to meet people my own age with similar interests. (Film, writing, literature, art, video games, etc...) Any suggestions on that would be appreciated.
Since you mentioned you are interested in screenwriting, you should definitely join Atlanta Film Festival 365:
Atlanta Film Festival 365 - Home

It is pretty inexpensive, and the membership will pay for itself if you go to just a few of the screenings throughout the year. Besides the film festival and assorted screenings, they also have networking events and workshops for aspiring filmmakers.

You may also be interested in the 48 hour film project. You have to write and produce a film in less than 48 hours:
The 48 Hour Film Project: Atlanta

For viewing films, try:

Cinefest
Cinefest Film Theatre
GSU's on-campus theatre. Cheap. interesting selection of films.

Emory Film Studies
Events Calendar | in Atlanta, Georgia at the Department of Film Studies, Emory University
Mostly free screenings in White Hall.

The Cinema Club
The Atlanta Cinema Club
Screenings and discussions at Midtown Art Cinema. Audience skews older. Discussions are very high brow. Not everyone's cup of tea.

Decatur Docs
DecaturDocs
New documentary film series held at Decatur High School.

Landmark Theatres film club
Landmark Theatres - Film Club Subscription Center

Various film festivals
Besides Atlanta Film Festival, we have a Jewish Film Festival, Middle Eastern Film Festival, Latin American Film Festival, etc...

Also the High Museum and Woodruff Arts Center have occasional film screenings. Check Creative Loafing.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:32 PM

80 posts, read 249,608 times
houston is another southern city with a lot of rude transplants

Old 02-03-2011, 07:55 PM

267 posts, read 784,467 times
It's very interesting to me to see the differences people have living here in Georgia. I have stated in previous posts that I work in the heart of Downtown Atlanta and live way out in Rockdale county. I've experienced rude/nosey people in both places. Yet, some people say they've lived here their entire lives and never been asked what church they go to. Very interesting!

I guess I just sometimes feel like an outsider. I am not religious whatsoever and I am surrounded by tons of very religious people. Many of whom can be very judgmental (I only know this from conversations I've overheard). I feel like I cannot open up to these people (coworkers, husbands family...which, btw he feels the same as I do as he is not religious either) because I will be judged. Some may think, so what, who cares what others think? And to some degree, I don't. But I just feel like I don't fit in here. For people who are Christian and religious, I feel that Georgia would be a great place to live. But for agnostics and athiests, it's harder to feel comfortable.

I don't dislike Georgia. I think it's beautiful here. And I am planning to make the most of the time I live here. I just cannot see myself living here for more than a few years, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or