Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 07:56 PM

747 posts, read 1,543,703 times

Advertisements

You know what I'm talking about: weird roof angles, diagonal wood siding, funky shaped windows. I know there's a ton of these neighborhoods in Cobb County, and I suspect elsewhere in the metro.

My question for anyone alive during that time period is, "What were you guys thinking?!" LOL Were these really a hot commodity back in the day?

To be fair, each decade has its trend. I just find it interesting that there was a time in GA when modern homes were being mass produced such as they were. There really hasn't been anything like that since then. Of course there are plenty of modern single family homes in Atlanta and the metro today, but they tend to be singular occurences, not whole neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 08:28 PM

876 posts, read 2,277,415 times
That style you are describing, I believe, is generally referred to as shed. I think they were even built into the mid-1980s in some areas in metro Atlanta. I tend to like them, but I can see how they don't appeal to the average buyer as they have a very dated look to them on the exterior.

In Roswell, the large subdivision called Martin's Landing comes to mind as having a mix of contemporary homes, and you are right, they were just 1 of several floor plans available back then.

Last edited by SW30303; 01-18-2011 at 08:41 PM..

Old 01-18-2011, 08:37 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,106,349 times
They also built a few in Peachtree Corners, Roswell, Dunwoody and Sandy Springs. Basically any locale that was developed in the 1970s will have some contemporary homes. But in those areas, I am unaware of whole neighborhoods of contemporary houses. Usually they are mixed into subdivisions that are predominately traditionals or ranches.

They are extremely ugly to me. Obviously more people found them attractive back then, but I am sure there were just as many who were saying, "WTF?" It was the tail end of that whole modernism trend that dominated architecture from the 50s-70s. Supposedly they are very spacious inside and let in a lot of sunlight.

I could never live in one, and I would suspect that if "tear-downs" ever become popular in 70s-vintage suburbs, they will be a prime target.

Also, what were they thinking with split levels? Those are just as bad.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:40 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Some of them are crap but the good ones are quite wonderful.

And yes, I have lived in one. In some areas there was an excellent use of space and natural light, and the big panes of glass really brought the landscape inside. The house had an H-shaped atrium with a pool, which theoretically was a very cool idea. However, it was set too close to the house on one end and we had to reconfigure the roof overhang. Houses back then tended to be a little chopped up with too many rooms, so we took out some interior walls and opened up the kitchen/great room/library.

I wouldn't mind having that place back. It was a nice size, about 3500 sf all on one floor, and the lot was gorgeous. A great location, too.

Last edited by arjay57; 01-18-2011 at 08:51 PM..

Old 01-18-2011, 09:09 PM

747 posts, read 1,543,703 times
Cobain: I've seen quite a few contemporary tear downs in East Cobb. The nouveau riche McMansions seem to look down their noses at the surrounding more funky neighbors lol.

I wonder if they'll become fashionable again in the way Mid-Century ranches have. A decade or two ago, 50s/60s houses were shunned, but spiffed up and furnished the right way, many of them are quite nifty . Plus, you get the benefit of mature landscaping.

Last edited by koko339; 01-18-2011 at 09:22 PM..

Old 01-18-2011, 09:35 PM

16,676 posts, read 29,495,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
You know what I'm talking about: weird roof angles, diagonal wood siding, funky shaped windows. I know there's a ton of these neighborhoods in Cobb County, and I suspect elsewhere in the metro.

My question for anyone alive during that time period is, "What were you guys thinking?!" LOL Were these really a hot commodity back in the day?

To be fair, each decade has its trend. I just find it interesting that there was a time in GA when modern homes were being mass produced such as they were. There really hasn't been anything like that since then. Of course there are plenty of modern single family homes in Atlanta and the metro today, but they tend to be singular occurences, not whole neighborhoods.
I like the contemporary-style homes. The ones built in the 1970's are the best quality. The later ones built in the early 80's are usually of lesser of quality.

I think contemporary-style homes could be a smart purchase. They are usually about the same size/square footage of the traditional 5-4-and-a-door homes built in the same general areas in the 1970's and 1980's. Many (if not most) are also in really good school districts. The cost of the contemporary-style homes is usually less than the traditional homes. It is a great way to be in a good school district, with a nice family-sized home, and in a wooded neighborhood--but at a more affordable price.

Contemporary-style homes/neighborhoods are all over East Cobb, for example--especially in the Pope, Lassiter, Sprayberry, and Kell districts.

Here are some nice all (or nearly all) contemporary-style neighborhoods in tony East Cobb (take a tour of them sometime, y'all, and see for yourself!):

Loch Highland (Lassiter)
Lake Fjord (Walton)
Holly Springs (Sprayberry)
Holly Springs East (Pope)
Holly Springs Crossing (Pope)
Kings Crossing (Kell)
Post Oak Springs (Pope)
Pine Springs (Pope)
Pine Shadows (Pope)
Rising Sun (Pope)
Winter Chase (Pope)
Country Woods (Lassiter)
Shadow Woods (Pope)
Cedar Forks (Pope)
Piedmont Bend (Sprayberry)
Lake Latimer (Kell)
Bentwood (Pope)
Benthill (Pope)
Country Crossing (Pope)

Last edited by aries4118; 01-18-2011 at 10:21 PM..

Old 01-18-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:

I re-read your post. You seem to think they are a novelty--for people that live or grew up in most parts of East Cobb, they are really a fairly significant part of the housing stock. Loch Highland, for example, is one of the main neighborhoods of the Lassiter district (and in my opinion, it is the contemporary-style neighborhood). Look up the neighborhoods I listed above (and there are more) and just drive around and tour them.

Plus there are other East Cobb neighborhoods that have significant (but not entirely) contemporary-style housing stock:

Chimney Springs
Chimney Lakes
Indian Hills
Indian Springs
Oak Creek Estates
East Spring Lake
Liberty Ridge
Hembree Hills
Jamerson Forest
Country Plantation

--and several more...

Last edited by aries4118; 01-18-2011 at 10:19 PM..

Old 01-18-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
I wonder if they'll become fashionable again in the way Mid-Century ranches have. A decade or two ago, 50s/60s houses were shunned, but spiffed up and furnished the right way, many of them are quite nifty . Plus, you get the benefit of mature landscaping.
I definitely think they will. One could bet on it. You get a lot of house--and too many are located in stellar school districts and convenient metro locations.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:45 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,106,349 times
Quote:
Cobain: I've seen quite a few contemporary tear downs in East Cobb. The nouveau riche McMansions seem to look down their noses at the surrounding more funky neighbors lol.

I didn't realize teardowns had hit East Cobb, or that contemporarys were so common. I haven't been on that side of town since high school though, and I was a Dunwoody kid, so I never had a reason to venture on that side of the river.

But personally, I would feel the same way if I was a McMansion owner. I used to run through River Bluff, in the Dunwoody Panhandle, and I would count how many contemporary houses were mixed in with the 5-4-doors to see how easy it would be to eradicate them entirely from the subdivision. I bet those McMansion owners feel the same way--"Honey, great news! That contemporary on the corner was sold to a builder! One less we have to stare at..."

I see them going more the way of extinction, until 30 years from now, when someone starts a "Save Atlanta's Contemporarys" campaign.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I see them going more the way of extinction, until 30 years from now, when someone starts a "Save Atlanta's Contemporarys" campaign.

Many of y'all just don't realize how many contemporary-style homes/neighborhoods there are in fashionable East Cobb...

Last edited by aries4118; 01-18-2011 at 10:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta