U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 12:08 PM

2,525 posts, read 2,761,241 times
I mean, we are still ranked in the top 10 so big deal we aren't ranked as high as NYC or DC.

Anyhow, I've noticed since the economy has tanked, travel on the east side of town has gotten better. 20 @ 285 used to be a parking lot during the evening rush all the way to Panola.

Now, at times, its slow to Wesley Chapel then, its clear afterwards with a tad bit of slowing to Panola but its no longer solid bumper to bumper. Same on 20. It used to jam up from Columbia and sometimes, Candler Rd but now, its usually just at 285 that the jam starts.

Same with my morning commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 12:16 PM

13,758 posts, read 8,148,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
i live at lindbergh and cheshire bridge, and traffic on lindbergh between 85 and cheshire CRAWLS. cheshire itself crawls. plenty of surface streets east of me, i wouldn't dare to venture anwhere in NE atlanta (clairmont, n druid hills, briarcliff, lavista etc) between 4:30 and 7p. some of the worst traffic i've been in in my life, second only to some of the stuff i've experienced up in johns creek/duluth.

You've got a point. That is one of the worst bottlenecks in the city. My condolences on that one.

Maybe these new ramps will relieve some of the congestion in your area. Don't you think a fair amount of that traffic is related to people trying to get to or from I-85 and 400, and attempting to negotiate that big mess around Lenox/Sidney Marcus/Buford Hwy, etc.?

Old 01-21-2011, 04:14 PM

6,401 posts, read 6,216,643 times
I hoped it would go without saying, this report isn't saying that traffic here isn't bad. It's just saying that it's not as bad as everyone thinks it is.

However, I didn't need to read this report to know this. Go get stuck in traffic in a big city in a developing country somewhere in Asia. That's traffic that truly sucks and makes ours look like child's play.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:42 PM

257 posts, read 540,388 times
Atlanta traffic isn't nearly as bad as I used to hear it was. People told me that it was along the lines of Los Angeles, and even worse in some areas.

I know most of the traffic is in the more Northern areas of the city, and typically along where the 285 merges with other freeways. Even at 4:30-6pm on a Friday the traffic in those areas is NOTHING compared to even sidestreets in L.A.

I think traffic here is relative. To people who haven't lived in places like L.A. or New York, it probably seems pretty bad. To people who have, the traffic here is nothing!

Now in comparison to Phoenix, it's pretty bad. And Atlanta has a much better public transportation system than Phoenix and still has more traffic. But then again, Phoenix is MUCH more spread out, so that might have a lot to do with it.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:00 PM

2,273 posts, read 3,009,213 times
Completely agree, especially for intown traffic is not that bad. And most the studies I've read in the last few years has Atlanta barely breaking the top 10. Of course many in in the outer suburbs will dispute this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I agree. That whole "Atlanta traffic is horrible!" is a meme that has somehow taken on a life of its own. In reality, except for some of the freeways at rush hour, Atlanta traffic isn't bad at all. That's especially true in the intown areas.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:10 PM

641 posts, read 1,372,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I've always said you guys over-exaggerate the traffic here. Anyone who has ever lived in NJ, CA, DC, etc., knows that the traffic here is nothing by comparison.
Sorry but I was born and raised and worked for about 30 years in NJ and I never experienced traffic like here on any sort of consistent basis unless there was an accident.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:52 AM

6,401 posts, read 6,216,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberMoon View Post

I think traffic here is relative. To people who haven't lived in places like L.A. or New York, it probably seems pretty bad. To people who have, the traffic here is nothing!
That's the key here that's missing.

If you are from another big city, as in you actually lived in the city or inner burbs, no big deal.

If you are from a small town or a exurban Anytown USA, then yes, Atlanta traffic is big deal.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:32 AM

7,652 posts, read 9,269,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I've always said you guys over-exaggerate the traffic here. Anyone who has ever lived in NJ, CA, DC, etc., knows that the traffic here is nothing by comparison.
Quote:
100% correct. I'd add Boston to the list, especially before and during the big dig.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:38 AM

8,758 posts, read 7,830,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I agree. That whole "Atlanta traffic is horrible!" is a meme that has somehow taken on a life of its own. In reality, except for some of the freeways at rush hour, Atlanta traffic isn't bad at all. That's especially true in the intown areas.
Atlanta freeway traffic may be overblown, but the worst traffic I've ever been in, in Atlanta, wasn't even on the freeways, but the side streets. That's why the freeways are so wide in the ATL, because the secondary roads are poorly planned (following old Indian trails, etc.). I've said it before, if you think traffic on Atlanta freeways are bad, wait until you get off of them.

Quote:
Atlanta traffic isn't nearly as bad as I used to hear it was. People told me that it was along the lines of Los Angeles, and even worse in some areas.

I know most of the traffic is in the more Northern areas of the city, and typically along where the 285 merges with other freeways. Even at 4:30-6pm on a Friday the traffic in those areas is NOTHING compared to even sidestreets in L.A.

Now in comparison to Phoenix, it's pretty bad. And Atlanta has a much better public transportation system than Phoenix and still has more traffic. But then again, Phoenix is MUCH more spread out, so that might have a lot to do with it.
Phoenix is NOT more spread out than Atlanta. It is easily more compact. The county it is in may be large, but that's it. Western metros tend to have more compact neighborhoods than Eastern ones. It's why the Los Angeles urban areas has a couple of thousand more people per square mile than New York's urban area. Plus, Phoenix is in a huge grid, which makes it a lot easier to funnel traffic when people exit the freeways. Go look at the urban areas of both Phoenix and Atlanta (Phoenix will come out denser and more compact).

Old 01-22-2011, 06:47 PM

800 posts, read 916,606 times
Atlanta's Rush Hour is infamous mostly because of the huge distances people travel to work. Over the years I've worked with people commuting from Dacula to Midtown, Newnan to Norcross, etc. I-85 is a sea of lights at 5:00am every weekday morning.

I like how they reward those special crews for clearing tractor-trailer accidents quickly.

The ramp meters are also effective, at least they were in Los Angeles when I lived there.

I've said it many times, but they must build an alternative to the downtown connector. It's at a crawl for most of the day. I think the easiest and least expensive solution is to "double-deck" the downtown connector since they already own the right-a-way.

I believe this chokehold is affecting the metro area's and state's economies. The I-75/I-85 Connector was built back when metro Atlanta's population was 2-2.5 million. Currently they're planning to take two of its existing lanes and make them HOT lanes.

How many millions of cars does everyone think this one road can handle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta