Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
this is something people have speculated for a while.im just surprised its a canadian banks that might be interest.
canadian banks may buy suntrust, zions in
where did you get your info from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 07:43 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,727,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwinsumloosesum62 View Post
where did you get your info from?
Atlanta Business Chronicle .I posted the link on the first post.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:03 PM

397 posts, read 840,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Yup. A company is getting relatively large, is fairly well run, has fairly happy customers, and seems to have a good future. Time for a larger fatter company to eat it.
They didn't even repay their almost $5,000,000,000 of TARP money did they?

I'm not sure I consider that well run at all.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:08 PM

31,995 posts, read 36,552,285 times
Quote:
Suntrust is the biggest of those banks that could be a target.I think BB&T would be more of a target because it could be a easier target for several reasons.(Cheaper,less opposition(maybe),still a good strategic position in the market)
Maybe this is something Suntrust would welcome. I'm certainly no businessman, but don't these things basically come down to whether a merger/takeover is a good deal for the shareholders? While I realize there are egos involved, if you're working for a publicly owned company your first duty has to be to the owners (i.e., the shareholders).

Who knows?

Old 01-20-2011, 08:14 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,699,857 times
My problem is my main account if with BoA... I'm not really a huge fan, but at the end of the day I travel alot and they are in most every major city I go to.

The other big banks that keep coming in... are ... well I dunno annoying in that they are big enough to lose the service you get, but not big enough to give the same near universal reach/access BoA has.

and yes Chase did buy Washington Mutual... It comes in close... but there are still more BoAs.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:22 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,870,269 times
Quote:
I had a RBC(Royal Bank of Canada) account a couple of years ago here in Atlanta.I went to visit friends as I often do in Montreal.An issue arose with my account and I went to a branch in Montreal and I was told that it could not be resolved as the banks were not fully integrated so certain things could be done as I needed.I don't know if things have changed but the way the representative of the bank talked, there were no plans to change .
Right. My comment that a Suntrust takeover by BMO would be handy for me was facetious, really.

I think that banking regulations in both the US and Canada probably preclude any significant cross-border integration. This sometimes seems annoying from the customer perspective - like when the RBC in Montreal couldn't help with your US account, and when I moved down here and my excellent credit ratings in Canada (with the Canadian subsidiaries of our US credit agencies) counted for exactly zero with the US parent agencies down here.

However, from a broader perspective, would we really want bank or credit agency employees in another country to be able to access our records? In general, that doesn't sound like a good idea.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:54 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,988,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdawk View Post
They didn't even repay their almost $5,000,000,000 of TARP money did they?

I'm not sure I consider that well run at all.
Seem to be par for the course for Georgia banks:

Georgia banks have yet to repay TARP funds | Atlanta Business Chronicle

It also sounds like the choice isn't completely theirs, however.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:30 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,799,851 times
Suntrust = Coca Cola.

The bank holds millions of Coke shares, going back to the days when it was Trust Company of Georgia and the underwriter for most all of Robert Woodruff's historic expansion. I even think the original Coke formula is locked in their vaults. I have always understood THAT is the reason they're still in ATL and nobody has been able to touch them. Acquisition by a Canadian bank seems highly problematic on that alone. Just as ATL's biz community rallied to keep Delta, I see the same thing happening to keep SunTrust.

As a very satisfied Suntrust customer, I'd hate to see them go anywhere. It's a GREAT bank. with fantastic customer service -- one of the last true Atlanta insitutuions (R.I.P. Rich's).

Old 01-21-2011, 12:39 AM

625 posts, read 1,143,994 times
8 years in Atlanta and hundreds of interactions with tellers, and never a problem, except sometimes they give you an attitude if you don't fill the form out right. The form has not changed in the 8 years so that helps, but it is kind of nonsensical to me..

Old 01-21-2011, 08:56 AM

397 posts, read 840,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Seem to be par for the course for Georgia banks:

Georgia banks have yet to repay TARP funds | Atlanta Business Chronicle

It also sounds like the choice isn't completely theirs, however.
The choice is not completely theirs?

Quote:
Banks must first receive approval from regulators before repaying their TARP balances. Georgia’s banks have not yet obtained the go-ahead because they are still saddled with bad loans, said Jim Wheeler, a banking attorney with Morris, Manning & Martin LLP.
“Georgia banks are still in bad shape and there is still a lot of work to do,” Wheeler said.
It was their choice to make the bad loans in the first place. Their bad choices and decisions put them in this less than favorable position.

The terms were known when they chose to take the money.

The responsibility is completely theirs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: