U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 07:21 PM

16 posts, read 54,331 times

Advertisements

If you are interested at looking at a study of a breakdown of schools across the nation check out this listing from Newsweek. It is mostly based on high schools but it will at least give you something to work from. The 1,200 Top U.S. Schools - Newsweek America's Best High Schools - MSNBC.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12532678/site/newsweek/ - broken link)

As someone who lives in the Lithonia/St. Mtn area, its pretty nice. Both areas have there ups and downs. It's not a cultural and racial haven but what area in GA is. It would be nice if there was more of a mix but I think that will come in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 07:31 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,453,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niab View Post
If you are interested at looking at a study of a breakdown of schools across the nation check out this listing from Newsweek. It is mostly based on high schools but it will at least give you something to work from. The 1,200 Top U.S. Schools - Newsweek America's Best High Schools - MSNBC.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12532678/site/newsweek/ - broken link)

As someone who lives in the Lithonia/St. Mtn area, its pretty nice. Both areas have there ups and downs. It's not a cultural and racial haven but what area in GA is. It would be nice if there was more of a mix but I think that will come in time.
Nice to see my alma mater Santa Monice High School in Santa Monica, CA checking in at #203!

Old 01-09-2008, 10:14 PM

8 posts, read 19,086 times
Hello everyone,
I am currently residing in New York and am considering moving to Stonemountain or Decatur.The reason why I chose these two places is because I have familiy that lives in both and want me to be near them.I was considering moving to The Park at Hairston complex in Stonemountain and as for Decatur not sure yet?I have 3 children ages 10,8,and 6,and 2 of my kids needs extensive medical care.I also noticed that Stonemountain is near a good medical facility that can treat my kids.Does anyone have any advice or suggestions.I don't want to move anywhere two expensive but I do want a neighborhood that is nice,with good schools and a good hospital for my children.Any information is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:36 AM

109 posts, read 427,714 times
Visit this link to view Dekalb school information... http://www.doe.k12.ga.us/ReportingFW.aspx?PageReq=111&PID=62&PTID=213&CountyId=644

I'd take some of the opinions about Dekalb with a grain of salt. Based on some of the descriptions of Stone Mountain/Decatur/Lithonia you would think there were gang shootouts and prostitution on every corner... nothing could be further from the truth. There is plenty of affordable housing and safe areas in Stone Mountain. Some of the opinions about this area are just flat out wrong.

If you need more info, just let me know.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:33 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,803,698 times
If it were me, and I don't know specifics about the area, I would try and look in the Tucker area -- specifically the Smoke Rise, Brockett, and Midvale areas, if the apartments are nice enough. It isn't far to Decatur or St. Mountain or Egleston's children hospital.

These are stronger schools, in many ways, than many of the schools further south. To start with, they are smaller, which is great for elementary schools.

May I ask how your children's health care needs are covered? Georgia has become a very difficult state for families that need assistance with health care.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:10 AM

317 posts, read 685,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
The reason being is not that I don't want to be around just all Black people, I am BLACK myself! But I'm from California where I'm used to more diversity in all walks of life. I went to Santa Monica High School and the racial breakdown when I graduated in 1998 was; 40% White, 20% Hispanic, 15% Black, 15% Asian, 5% Pacific Islander/Native American, 5% Arabic. I like to live in communities that mirror that or close to It & most communities in Atlanta just don't do it for me.
Don't feel bad because I know where you are coming from. I have so much respect for the wealthy blacks in lithonia/stonemountain and what they have accomplished but I could not live around blacks only. I prefer diversity which is what I grew up. I had white, asian, mexican, and black neighbors and that is how I would prefer it for life.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:43 AM

55 posts, read 259,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
The reason being is not that I don't want to be around just all Black people, I am BLACK myself! But I'm from California where I'm used to more diversity in all walks of life. I went to Santa Monica High School and the racial breakdown when I graduated in 1998 was; 40% White, 20% Hispanic, 15% Black, 15% Asian, 5% Pacific Islander/Native American, 5% Arabic. I like to live in communities that mirror that or close to It & most communities in Atlanta just don't do it for me.
Umm, you do realize you are in Atlanta? While I understand and admire your preference, your odds of finding an area like that are as good as finding me at Bulldogs.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:46 PM

8 posts, read 19,086 times
Thanks JAYROCKTEAM for that,I was actually starting to have second doubts about moving at all.I have 3 kids and I just want a better life for them and myself.Like stated I chose those two place because of family.I actually have someone who lives in The Park at Hairston and she loves it,that's why I wanted to hear another opinion on it.The complex is a affordable housing complex that was named Lake Pointe.when i read about Lake Pointe I heard terrible things about it but I can't seem to find anything on it now with its new name.I will definetly check out the other areas.what about Snellville or Lawrenceville?

Old 01-15-2008, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,716 times
After family issues are out of the way, the next thing to consider is the commute to work and location of your place of worship - because shopping centers are about every 5 miles or so. Grayson/Loganville/Walton county area has a lot to offer as far as space, value and diversity. Lots of growth. Good mix of people and they are embracing diversity - unlike many of the surrounding areas how are just reacting...... (my 2 cents) It's quiet and family oriented. Appox. 45 min commute to downtown Atlanta. A good indication of the make up and temperment of the community for diversity is to check out their Chamber of Commerce and types of community activities.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:29 PM

3 posts, read 10,294 times
Default Sad story

If you are looking the for the "black thing" then you will find it out there. I dont know another area that is so far from the city, has as much wealth and yet the schools are horrible. I mean horrible. Please go to schooldigger.com and check them out for yourself. This school ranks in the bottom 10th percent in a state that ranks second to last in the nation. I mean I have alway been told that supidity had nothing to do with race, it was all about money and "inter-city" life. But I still dont get why with the money and "education" these people cant get it right. Come on, what else do you need?? Please stay in your area and good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or