U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2008, 05:55 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,798,205 times

Advertisements

One reason is that many of the affluent African-American families either use private schools, enroll their kids in one of DeKalb's theme schools (check out those scores they are really good) or use connections to get their students into N. DeKalb schools.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 08:35 PM

43 posts, read 156,905 times
Can you specifically tell me what areas or neighborhoods in Lithonia and Stone Mountain are nice?

Also, I am looking to stay in a townhome.(a contemporary, modern townhome) do you know of any areas in Stone MOuntain or Lithonia with these kind of townhomes?

Old 10-11-2008, 08:02 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,540,794 times
Default I'd be glad to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2Georgia View Post
Can you specifically tell me what areas or neighborhoods in Lithonia and Stone Mountain are nice?

Also, I am looking to stay in a townhome.(a contemporary, modern townhome) do you know of any areas in Stone MOuntain or Lithonia with these kind of townhomes?
In Lithonia, check out the houses and subdivsions along the following streets:

1. The entire length of Panola Rd (south of I-20) to Snapfinger Rd.
2. The entire length of Brown Mill Rd. (from Snapfinger Rd. to the Henry County border)
3. Klondike Rd. (north of Browns Mill)
4. Snapfinger Rd (from Flat shoals Pkwy to the Henry County border)
5. River Rd. between Snapfinger and Flakes Mill
6. Turner Hill/Rock Chapel Rd. (north of I-20/Stonecrest) to the Gwinett County border.

The prices vary from inexpensive to high-end, but you get way more for your money across the board. If you're working with a smaller budget in Lithonia, you can get incredible deals in good neighborhoods along:

1. Young Rd. (from Covington Hwy to Redan Rd.) - covers Decatur, Lithonia, and Stone Monutain in like 5 miles)
2. Singer Way from (Marbut Rd. to Young Road)
3. Marbut Rd. (from Panola Rd. to Wellborn)
4. Wellborn (to Stone Mountain-Lithonia Rd.)

In Stone Mountain, check out:

1. South Deshon (from Wellborn to RockBridge Rd.)
2. Stephenson Rd. (from Rock Chapel to Rockbridge Rd.)
3. "Southland" Subdivision on Stone Mountain-Lithonia Rd
4. Rockbridge Rd. from Stone Mountain-Lithonia Rd. to 124.

The main places to avoid in Lithonia is:

1. Evan Mill near the City of Lithonia and the City of Lithonia itself.

The main places to avoid in Stone Mountain is:

1. N. Hairton (north of Memorial Dr.)
2. Basically, anything along Memorial Dr. from N. Haiston to I-285 can be a little shady.

Lastly, if you're specifically looking for townhomes, try:

1. The townhomes off Fairington Pkwy. ("Fairington Enclave")
2. Snapfinger Woods Dr. (Between Panola Rd. and Dekalb Medical Pkwy)
3. Covington Highway (between Panola Rd. and Evans Mill)
4. "Keystone Gates"
5. "Redan Square"
(There are several others that I can't think of right now, but once you get out start looking, more options should open up for you. What is your price range?)

These suggestions would require you to actually get out and ride around these areas. But regardless of what they say on this site, have an open mind. Put in "South Dekalb" for a search in this site and look at the commentary (also consider who has actually spent time there and who has not.) Ask the people who live in the commmunities you are interested in what they are like. Good Luck.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:43 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,798,205 times
In your other posts, you indicated you are looking for diverse schools. Keep in mind that the schools in Lithonia are not diverse and most of St. Mountain (with the exception of Smoke Rise) are not diverse either.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:33 AM

24 posts, read 82,574 times
I live in Lithonia, and though I had an incident when I first moved here, I haven't had a problem since. I do plan to move though because I like Newton County better and they have lower taxes. We'll stay here until we save enough to move into a house. I do like that it's not too far from Midtown where me and my husband work.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,456 times
Ok, as I am reading the comments I am so happy for my people stepping on the toes of the post of (BEWARE BLACK FOLK LIVE THERE). I AM SO VERY HAPPY THAT I RAN ACROSS THIS SITE BECAUSE I WANTED TO KNOW IF MY BLACK PPL EVEN LIVED IN THE MOUNTAINS??? I RECENTLY TOOK A TRIP TO ELLIJAY, GA FROM NC AND THE WHITE PPL LOOKED AT ME LIKE I WAS CRAZY.......MY SPOUSE AND I WERE CAUTIOUS IN CASE OF THIS 1950'S AREA WANTED TO LYNCH US WITHIN OUR THREE DAY STAY. ALTHOUGH THE MOUNTAIN WAS BEAUTIFUL I NOW KNOW THAT I CAN REVISIT THE BLACK MOUNTAIN(STONE MOUNTAIN AND BE AMONG MY BLACK PPL)!!!! NOT MAKING IT A RACIAL THING, BUT IF PPL EXPERIENCED THE SAME STARES AS I DID. YOU WOULD COMMENT ALSO!!!! STONE MOUNTAIN HERE US ******A'S COME!!!

Old 06-08-2011, 08:43 AM

426 posts, read 2,109,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches152001 View Post
Ok, as I am reading the comments I am so happy for my people stepping on the toes of the post of (BEWARE BLACK FOLK LIVE THERE). I AM SO VERY HAPPY THAT I RAN ACROSS THIS SITE BECAUSE I WANTED TO KNOW IF MY BLACK PPL EVEN LIVED IN THE MOUNTAINS??? I RECENTLY TOOK A TRIP TO ELLIJAY, GA FROM NC AND THE WHITE PPL LOOKED AT ME LIKE I WAS CRAZY.......MY SPOUSE AND I WERE CAUTIOUS IN CASE OF THIS 1950'S AREA WANTED TO LYNCH US WITHIN OUR THREE DAY STAY. ALTHOUGH THE MOUNTAIN WAS BEAUTIFUL I NOW KNOW THAT I CAN REVISIT THE BLACK MOUNTAIN(STONE MOUNTAIN AND BE AMONG MY BLACK PPL)!!!! NOT MAKING IT A RACIAL THING, BUT IF PPL EXPERIENCED THE SAME STARES AS I DID. YOU WOULD COMMENT ALSO!!!! STONE MOUNTAIN HERE US ******A'S COME!!!
^^Why more and more black people are starting to desire diverse communities instead of 100% black communities.

And FYI, the N. GA mountains are historically white. Those communities have NEVER had a large or significant black population. And yes, they do have a racist reputation among the black community, I would attribute it more to their ignorance(not knowing) though than anything else since they have very limited interactions with black people on a day to day basis. I go up to Jasper all the time, am black, have seen the stares you are talking about, but for the most part, it's really not that bad.

If you want the mentality of the mountains to change so bad, move up there and give them some diversity. Since your answer to that is no, as it is for most blacks in N. GA(obviously) then don't get mad they they live in a non diverse area when you praise your abililty to live in south Dekalb to achieve the same thing.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,218 times
Has anyone noticed how African Americans (I'm AA by the way) are quick to say, "Jeesh, I want to live in a diverse community, with many different races" but.... You NEVER hear white people saying that. As a matter of fact, I have never heard a white person complain about there being too few blacks in their neighborhood. My point is this: I think we as blacks need to stop perpetuating the negative stereotypes that black communities are bad.

With that being said, I want to move to an area outside of Atlanta (no more than 40 min drive time to ATL on weekends). Here are my requirements:
- my community must be near a Publix
- a variety of restaurants (not just Mickey D's and a Chili's) within a 5min drive
- Target and other shopping areas nearby
-a mall within 15 mins of my home

I would like to spend between $150000-$200000. I like the east side of Atlanta from what I read, but I don't know!!!

Help...please?!?

Thank you.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:29 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,429,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Is there a particular reason you want just that area? Neither is really considered "great", and Stone Mountain has been sliding downhill slowly for the last few years. Crime is not exactly low in either of those areas.

"Pine Lake" is a nicer small town in that general area that is surrounded by those not-so-great areas, but inside of Pine Lake is nice. ( Their web site: The Official Website of Pine Lake GA, Pine Lake GA ). Also a bit closer intown, the city of Decatur has some nicer areas in it as well. If you want to live on that side of town, those would be two better alternatives over Lithonia or Stone Mountain.

Sliding down hill from what? From back in the day when the Klan used to burn crosses (some even say people actually got hung) at the base of Stone Mountain? Or when the first black residents to that area in the late 70's didn't exactly meet friendly smiles from the white families that ended up moving to Snellville and then later Loganville. Yeah the Memorial Dr part of Stone Mountain has it share of crime, but show me an area with a bunch of apartments, motels and low income people that doesn't. The majority of Stone Mountain/ Lithonia is full of nice houses in real nice subdivisions that are real quiet and to take it a step further that area is full of working class and white collar black people now whereas if I remember correctly Stone Mountain was full of lower income blue collar white people back in the day. My Aunt moved to Stone Mountain from Michigan in the early 80's and she was one of the first black people to move into her subdivision, and I remember clearly seeing broken down cars in front yards, overgrown grass and toothless drug addicts and winos walking around and let me just say that they weren't of the black or ghetto variety.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:54 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,320,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunShine1410 View Post
Has anyone noticed how African Americans (I'm AA by the way) are quick to say, "Jeesh, I want to live in a diverse community, with many different races" but.... You NEVER hear white people saying that. As a matter of fact, I have never heard a white person complain about there being too few blacks in their neighborhood. My point is this: I think we as blacks need to stop perpetuating the negative stereotypes that black communities are bad.

With that being said, I want to move to an area outside of Atlanta (no more than 40 min drive time to ATL on weekends). Here are my requirements:
- my community must be near a Publix
- a variety of restaurants (not just Mickey D's and a Chili's) within a 5min drive
- Target and other shopping areas nearby
-a mall within 15 mins of my home

I would like to spend between $150000-$200000. I like the east side of Atlanta from what I read, but I don't know!!!

Help...please?!?

Thank you.
Douglasville might be a good fit for you. It's actually on west side of the metro, which is the less developed part of the Atlanta area, and thus, it's one of the least popular suburbs. I liked it out there, though, and it seems to fit all of your requirements.

If you have kids and are concerned about the schools then there may be better options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or