U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:40 PM

2 posts, read 14,984 times

Advertisements

considering buying a home in either lithonia or stone mountain. haven't heard many good things about either city. is there good schools near by? could anyone recommend good areas to raise a family near those cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 09:45 AM

9,190 posts, read 29,578,014 times
Is there a particular reason you want just that area? Neither is really considered "great", and Stone Mountain has been sliding downhill slowly for the last few years. Crime is not exactly low in either of those areas.

"Pine Lake" is a nicer small town in that general area that is surrounded by those not-so-great areas, but inside of Pine Lake is nice. ( Their web site: The Official Website of Pine Lake GA, Pine Lake GA ). Also a bit closer intown, the city of Decatur has some nicer areas in it as well. If you want to live on that side of town, those would be two better alternatives over Lithonia or Stone Mountain.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:51 PM

985 posts, read 5,218,514 times
There is an area of unincorporated part of Stone Mountain belongs to Gwinnett. That area is zoned to Parkview high school, a highly respective school in Atlanta area. Many Indian and South Asian families live in that area even though many of them have shops in Dekalb county.

Last edited by jxu66; 07-21-2007 at 06:07 AM..

Old 07-19-2007, 12:16 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,452,214 times
Default That would be the only place...

I would live in Stone Mountain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
There is an area of unincorporated part of Stone Mountain belongs to Gwinnett. That area is zoned to Parkview high school, a highly respective school in Atlanta area. Many Indian and South Asian families live in that area even though many of them have shops in Dekalb county.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:25 PM

49 posts, read 208,055 times
Stone Mountain and Lithonia aren't as bad as people say it is. I live in Decatur right by them and they are really nice areas with beautiful sub-divisions. They have a majority black population, so I GUESS when a place even though it's a suburb has a lot of black people it's considered a " not so nice area". Trust me, Lithonia and Stone Mountain are usually safe areas.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:07 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,452,214 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
I would live in Stone Mountain.
The reason being is not that I don't want to be around just all Black people, I am BLACK myself! But I'm from California where I'm used to more diversity in all walks of life. I went to Santa Monica High School and the racial breakdown when I graduated in 1998 was; 40% White, 20% Hispanic, 15% Black, 15% Asian, 5% Pacific Islander/Native American, 5% Arabic. I like to live in communities that mirror that or close to It & most communities in Atlanta just don't do it for me.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:32 AM

23 posts, read 140,005 times
This also may not be PC, but I'm posting. I notice many people tend to steer people away from Stone Mountain and Lithonia claiming they are "not good" or crime ridden areas. However the more I see these generalizations the more I realize that for some people those terms are code words for many black people live there.

Outside of Prince Georges County, MD...Stone Mountain is the most affluent African American area in the United States. What you are going to get there, and in Lithonia are a lot of middle class and upper middle class people who work, stay to themselves and go about their business. Are their crime pockets there? Sure. Could some residents be keeping up their homes better in smaller areas there? Sure.

But its basically any suburban town USA. Except the majority of your neighbors will be African American.

Old 07-21-2007, 05:25 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,799,557 times
Veronica

I can't speak about the Prince George County Schools -- but DeKalb schools are not as strong (as a whole) as most other metro systems.

I live in DeKalb and several weeks ago stumbled upon a show on the local government TV where an African American advocate was speaking about the embarrassingly high drop out rate in DeKalb schools as it correlates to the wealth of the community. (About 50 percent) He even compared it to Prince George and it wasn't favorable for DeKalb.

Also if you want your children to attend diverse schools, you won't find that in St. Mountain and Lithonia.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:43 PM

23 posts, read 140,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom;
Veronica

I can't speak about the Prince George County Schools -- but DeKalb schools are not as strong (as a whole) as most other metro systems.

I live in DeKalb and several weeks ago stumbled upon a show on the local government TV where an African American advocate was speaking about the embarrassingly high drop out rate in DeKalb schools as it correlates to the wealth of the community. (About 50 percent) He even compared it to Prince George and it wasn't favorable for DeKalb.

Also if you want your children to attend diverse schools, you won't find that in St. Mountain and Lithonia.
yes but diversity is hard in schools in many parts of Atlanta because it is one of the most segregated cities from what I've seen EVER. Like Atlanta is really trying to test out "separate but equal" Dekalb schools may not be the best I will give you that. I honestly don't think Atlanta schools are on par with other places in general, but I think that's another story.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:31 AM

2 posts, read 14,984 times
Thanks for everyones input. I'm concerned about schools number one and property value number two. Don't care a thing about black or white or mixed community. My company name is family first investments and we try to find homes for lower income families with children. The properties are at 6150 KENTON OAKS COURT LITHONIA and 566 ABERDEEN DRIVE STONE MOUTAIN.
Our client likes both and i was wondering which has the better school system and would be most desirable for a small family with two children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or