U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 03:26 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,617,699 times

Advertisements

All groups vying to build a mega-transit hub for the Georgia Department of Transportation will remain in the running, the agency said Friday.

DOT shortlists three developers for transit hub *| ajc.com

The lead developers and advisers are:

Atlanta-based Jacoby Development, with the John Buck Co. Technical advisers: Norcross-based Moreland Altobelli Associates, Perkins + Will, and SYSTRA Consulting.

Atlanta-based Cousins Properties and the Integral Group, with FC Asset Services. Technical advisers: Atlanta-based Cooper Carry and Urban Collage, plus FXFOWLE, Kimley-Horn & Associates and Parsons Brinckerhoff.

Atlanta-based H.J. Russell and The Dawson Co., with Hines. Technical advisers: HOK and URS Corp.

The agency will chose a master developer by mid-summer. First, the groups will submit more detailed proposals by Feb. 28
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 03:31 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,617,699 times
I'm hoping Jacoby will win this contract.

This would be so big for Atlanta. This actually might have more of a impact than SOB and AS. I'm sure security will be in place to keep the thugs around 5 points from screwing this project up

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 01-21-2011 at 03:57 PM..

Old 01-21-2011, 04:03 PM

4,364 posts, read 6,034,762 times
I'm assuming, we have to wait till Feb. 28 to able to see the proposals?

Old 01-21-2011, 04:20 PM

7,909 posts, read 12,164,912 times
I can't believe this actually going to happen after 20+ years of hamming and hawing about it.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:55 PM

6,562 posts, read 7,670,366 times
The Public-Private laws on the state books are kinda funny and interesting...

They allow a private developer a level of secrecy at first on the notion that it takes a private company capital to research, design, and engineer a proposal. If it were released too early a competing firm could piggy back off what the original firm did for less, because it is cheaper to imitate. It also keeps a competitive playing field.

There is a public review period... what I'm not sure about in this situation... is if the public review period comes before or after the DOT selects a company to work/negotiate with.

If it is only after... it wouldn't be until this summer details come out.

Either way... I can't wait to see what it is. I would really like to see all 3 proposals.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:35 PM

7,112 posts, read 8,365,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I can't believe this actually going to happen after 20+ years of hamming and hawing about it.
My feelings exactly. I'm unsure about the timing. It is a bad economy but financing should be low and when complete, an economic recovery might be in full swing. But will this attract tenants? Amtrak is not a major mode of travel, and buses, Greyhound and MARTA, don't attract high-end travelers. GTRA provides the higher-end travelers, but will GRTA go there or still use Civic Center? Are we romanticizing this project's effects? Is this nexus point a developer's dream in terms of the foot traffic passing through?

Old 01-21-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
My feelings exactly. I'm unsure about the timing. It is a bad economy but financing should be low and when complete, an economic recovery might be in full swing. But will this attract tenants? Amtrak is not a major mode of travel, and buses, Greyhound and MARTA, don't attract high-end travelers. GTRA provides the higher-end travelers, but will GRTA go there or still use Civic Center? Are we romanticizing this project's effects? Is this nexus point a developer's dream in terms of the foot traffic passing through?
I think that is kind of the reason for attracting private developer's to develop the site, especially the retail, office, and potential hotel space. It gets developers on board to build what they think they can sell and gets them to assume that risk, while lowering the cost to the state compared to building the station without and private development attached to it.

Also, keep in mind the primary function of the station is commuter rail. It's commuters will be more equivalent to GRTA bus commuters (and in some ways potential to be better).

This is still early in the process... The earliest a developer could even be selected is this summer.... It will still take time for the final engineering and construction. I think the state of the economy would be much better by then. Once this is rewarded... we are still talking years... not months until any kind of completion. I also wouldn't be surprised to see GDOT apply for federal transportation funds to help pay for part of the transportation station.

The good thing though... If they get a good proposal from a private developer and want the public-private partnership to work... it will put a time pressure on the state to follow through with their side of the bargain and stop dragging their feet on commuter rail so much.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:18 AM

29,359 posts, read 26,306,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I think that is kind of the reason for attracting private developer's to develop the site, especially the retail, office, and potential hotel space. It gets developers on board to build what they think they can sell and gets them to assume that risk, while lowering the cost to the state compared to building the station without and private development attached to it.
That was the strategy in getting the arena (Phipps/Omni), the Omni complex, GWCC, and the various federal, county and city buildings etc., built in south downtown 35 years ago. Everyone decried the Gulch and downtown promoters argued that downtown needed new development to in order bring people back into downtown.

It's been a tough battle, really going back to the 1950s. Despite enormous infusions of capital from all levels of government, powerful boosting from developers and civic leaders, empowerment zones, TADs, major planning initiatives, and other forms of support, the city nexus somehow seems to have inexorably shifted northward.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That was the strategy in getting the arena (Phipps/Omni), the Omni complex, GWCC, and the various federal, county and city buildings etc., built in south downtown 35 years ago. Everyone decried the Gulch and downtown promoters argued that downtown needed new development to in order bring people back into downtown.

It's been a tough battle, really going back to the 1950s. Despite enormous infusions of capital from all levels of government, powerful boosting from developers and civic leaders, empowerment zones, TADs, major planning initiatives, and other forms of support, the city nexus somehow seems to have inexorably shifted northward.
I hear you on that.

The new version of the state public-private initiative law is completely new and goes to another level though.

It isn't just contracting with a private developer to find the most competitive builder or using any type of private management... It literally will be creating privately owned space as apart of the project. For example, A private hotel or office tower could literally be built over the transit station and be sold off after it is developed.
The process also has less to do with trying to make downtown a lively space and more to do with funding the transit station. Although, increased transit connection would likely help.

Say it costs $100 to build the transit station, $100 to build an office tower on top of it, and that office tower can be sold for $150. The state is hoping they can end up with $35 to help fund the transit station's construction and have it cost taxpayers $65. However, to go further... in case the office building (or whatever is built) isn't sold for $150 the private developer assumes the risk and the state only pays $65 up front during development.

I kind of see Midtown as one of the more accessible places in the region. More people live north of town and the connector gets congested when you run two interstates together, whereas midtown can be accessed from I-75, I-85, GA 400 via buford Highway connector, and the connector coming from the south. To me it is more accessible to more suburban commuters.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:35 PM

37 posts, read 75,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
But will this attract tenants? Amtrak is not a major mode of travel, and buses, Greyhound and MARTA, don't attract high-end travelers. GTRA provides the higher-end travelers, but will GRTA go there or still use Civic Center? Are we romanticizing this project's effects? Is this nexus point a developer's dream in terms of the foot traffic passing through?
The point of an intermodal hub for any city is to bring different modes together with the intent of improving travel for someone traveling on any of those modes. No mode is exclusive. Making transfers between modes easier improves the use of those modes. This is why Atlanta Hartsfield built a new rental car facility, why hotels have shuttles, and why MARTA stations provide access or space for buses, taxis, personal vehicles, and walkways. These amenities/connections make it simpler for residents and vistors alike to move around Atlanta, improving the overall livability of the city. Making the hub a destination unto itself solidifies these connections. The gulch is a destination already with the GWCC, Georgia Dome, and Phillips Arena. Adding retail, hotels, office buildings builds on this precedent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or