Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 02:14 PM

21 posts, read 82,594 times

Advertisements

Anybody has some factual input on the Metro area housing market. Mortgage rates are up, but prices are the same as they were 1 year ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 05:07 PM

985 posts, read 5,758,218 times
Actually, some houses I was looking for last year increase price (Johns Creek, Duluth and Suwanee) by quite a bit since last year. On the other hand, some less desirable neighborhoods decrease the price.

I probably didn't answer your question. Real estate market is really depended on local specific market.

Last edited by jxu66; 07-18-2007 at 08:23 PM..

Old 07-18-2007, 06:36 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,212,493 times
I agree, it really depends on the town. Places like Eastern East cobb, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, etc are definitely not going down in price. There is always demand from people to live there. From what I hear, prices are going down in the distant suburbs where a lot of new construction has gone up in the past few years.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:57 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
I think it depends on what type of house and where. If you are looking in an area with lots of new construction -- subdivision after subdivision of new homes-- prices are probably dropping. I suspect the same is true for condos and townhomes across the metro area.

I think that in all areas homes are sitting on the market for longer. There have been some deals in normally hot areas cause people need to sale. Otherwise, they are giving up and waiting.

Realtors are being impacted by this -- if you can't sell, you probably won't be buying.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:22 AM

22 posts, read 90,262 times
Default Atlanta Housing Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'thaDOME' View Post
Anybody has some factual input on the Metro area housing market. Mortgage rates are up, but prices are the same as they were 1 year ago.
The National Association of Realtors publishes market data each year for the Atlanta Metro area. The last report was in July of 2006. Another is due any time now. Keep an eye out for it later this month or early next. Here's last year's summary:

Metro Atlanta Home Price Analysis Reports

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following reports are published by the National Association of REALTORS® on a periodic basis. NAR does an analysis on each of the 120 largest metropolitan markets across the country. These reports focus on the greater Metro Atlanta area. Among the most recent findings:

Home prices in the region rose at a respectable 6% in the first quarter of 2006 following a 7% rise in 2005. But there are few concerns about a price bubble or a large price correction given the highly affordable conditions in the region - particularly in relation to other large-sized metro markets.
Rising mortgage rates - roughly one percentage point increase in the past 12 months - have not significantly deterred homebuying. That is not surprising since the affordable markets are less sensitive to interest-rate changes and more dependent on job market conditions.
Job growth attracts additional potential homebuyers to the market. Furthermore, a strong positive inmigration pattern into the region suggests that any price decline will likely be short lived.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:24 AM

826 posts, read 3,120,972 times
Ditto the pp's, it depends where you are looking and what you are looking at. You will most likely get a better deal on a re-sale as opposed to a new construction.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:53 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,212,493 times
Interesting blog entry about the real estate slowdown in Atlanta. Says it's primarily in homes under $500k:

Subprime Lending Causes Slowdown in Atlanta | Atlanta Real Estate Blog (http://www.ryanwardrealestate.com/WordPress/subprime-lending-causes-slowdown-in-atlanta/#more-72 - broken link)

Old 07-21-2007, 05:45 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
We ate dinner with friends last night and their oldest daughter and her husband are looking for their first home. They have narrowed their price range and geographic area. They are still totally overwhelmed because there are so many choices.

My friend called it paralyzing to have so many homes to choose from. It truly seems to be a buyers market and I think lots of buyers simply can't decide or think if they wait a little longer they can get a better deal.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:06 AM

21 posts, read 82,594 times
Just took a homebuyer coarse this weekend to receive georgia down payment assistance funds. I spoke with a mortgage broker and which they recommended to skip that program and go with a 80/20 loan. Now just by running simple numbers i see absolutely no advantage to going with an 80/20 loan essentially skipping out on 'free money'. any opinions on this. if it matters fico is above 700.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:14 AM

138 posts, read 623,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'thaDOME' View Post
Just took a homebuyer coarse this weekend to receive georgia down payment assistance funds. I spoke with a mortgage broker and which they recommended to skip that program and go with a 80/20 loan. Now just by running simple numbers i see absolutely no advantage to going with an 80/20 loan essentially skipping out on 'free money'. any opinions on this. if it matters fico is above 700.
Can you be more specific about the payment assistance funds? What is the difference between the 80/20 and the other program you were looking at? 20% down? 5% down?

More details please.

As far as the market I agree with what most have said here. It really depends on your price range and specifically where you are looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta