U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 01-26-2011, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Nashville, Tn
7,917 posts, read 11,365,845 times
Reputation: 5294
I happened to see the title so I thought I'd add my two cents. I live in Tennessee which also has some unusual laws. Liquor stores have to close on Sundays and holidays and beer can't be purchased until noon on Sunday. Another odd thing is that liquor stores are not allowed to sell the non alcoholic mixers like tonic water that you might use for a mixed drink so that requires a separate trip to another store which is ridiculous. I lived in Arizona before I moved here and you can buy alcohol at a typical supermarket and I don't think this has caused civilization to crumble there, it's simply more convenient.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-26-2011, 11:38 AM
 
8,863 posts, read 8,535,895 times
Reputation: 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I happened to see the title so I thought I'd add my two cents. I live in Tennessee which also has some unusual laws. Liquor stores have to close on Sundays and holidays and beer can't be purchased until noon on Sunday. Another odd thing is that liquor stores are not allowed to sell the non alcoholic mixers like tonic water that you might use for a mixed drink so that requires a separate trip to another store which is ridiculous. I lived in Arizona before I moved here and you can buy alcohol at a typical supermarket and I don't think this has caused civilization to crumble there, it's simply more convenient.
Tennessee--I can only imagine the reasoning that went into allowing a liquor store to sell alcohol on Sunday but not the mixers. It might be time for them to consider a revised version of that law.



If a GA legislator proposes something like that I wouldn't be surprised. shrug--Then that boosts sales of alcohol in the grocery stores.

There should be some intense debate in the dry counties.

Georgia
•Georgia prohibits the sale of alcohol on Sundays at retail locations, and has limits on the sale of alcohol at bars/restaurants.
•Brooks County prohibits the sale of alcohol except beer and wine, with no sales on Sunday. The city of Quitman, within Brooks County, has allowed the sale of alcohol other than beer and wine in restaurants only since 2005. The new law was passed by Quitman voters despite fierce opposition from local religious and community leaders.
•Bulloch County was previously a partially dry county, but a referendum in 1998 removed the ban on alcoholic beverages.
•Coweta County is a partially dry county.
•Dawson County, was historically noted for being a heavy Moonshine county but was a dry county until recently with the first package store opening on July 27, 2007.
•Effingham County, near Savannah, Georgia, is a partially dry county. Sale of liquor is prohibited, but the sale of beer and wine is allowed.
•Fannin County is a partially dry county, allowing for the sale of beer in restaurants only.
•Franklin County is a dry county, though several towns within the county are not.
•Murray County, in northwest Georgia, is a dry county, although the city of Eton allows the sale of liquor at a local level.
•Hart County in northeast Georgia is currently a dry county which prohibits the sale of liquor, yet a referendum was voted on in the general election on November 6, 2007 to allow the sale of liquor by the drink.
•Union County is a dry county.
•Upson County is a dry county.
•White County, in northeast Georgia, is a dry county except in the city limits of Helen, Georgia and beer and wine outside of the city limits of Cleveland, Georgia (effective January 1, 2009). In Helen alcohol can be served and sold, and is known to be a DUI trap, as there is only a single route into and out of town, along Georgia State Route 75.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 01-26-2011 at 12:00 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Midtown Atlanta
4,556 posts, read 2,828,985 times
Reputation: 1606
Can you, in South Carolina, still only by the hard stuff in those little airplane bottles? I always thought that was mildly humorous.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
9,913 posts, read 14,182,107 times
Reputation: 2732
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Women did not have the right to vote in this country during the slave era.
I know that perfectly well. I was asking if any other countries allowed women to vote.

If not, it seems the US was simply in line with the normal behavior in western society at the time. This makes sense given the history of the US, since it was largely founded by people from western Europe.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 11:51 AM
 
2,827 posts, read 2,368,731 times
Reputation: 1241
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I know that perfectly well. I was asking if any other countries allowed women to vote.

If not, it seems the US was simply in line with the normal behavior in western society at the time. This makes sense given the history of the US, since it was largely founded by people from western Europe.
Yep, I totally agree--we were advanced in some ways, and a laggard in others (like slavery).

But normal behavior for western society (as demonstrated by the founders) should most certainly not be used as a benchmark for what things should and shouldn't be allowed today, as another poster argued. Nor should historical precedent.

We should judge what's right and wrong based on our modern ideas of human rights and equal protection under the law.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
9,913 posts, read 14,182,107 times
Reputation: 2732
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
We should judge what's right and wrong based on our modern ideas of human rights and equal protection under the law.
I strongly agree.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 12:16 PM
JPD
 
7,728 posts, read 7,873,979 times
Reputation: 3492
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post


If a GA legislator proposes something like that I wouldn't be surprised. shrug--Then that boosts sales of alcohol in the grocery stores.
Not really. Grocery stores only sell beer and wine. That won't be changing. Beer and wine don't require mixers. The sale of club soda, margarita mix, bloody mary mix, etc. at grocery stores, even if that is the only place you can get it, has little to no impact on the amount of beer and wine sold in a grocery store.

Barring liquor stores from selling mixers does nothing other than cause inconvenience for consumers.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 12:50 PM
 
14,564 posts, read 9,141,099 times
Reputation: 3440
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Not really. Grocery stores only sell beer and wine. That won't be changing.
I personally wouldn't care too much about buying hard liquor on Sunday, since we usually stock up on that in bulk. However, we do enjoy a leisurely trip to the market on Sunday and it would be great to be able to do some wine shopping.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 01:22 PM
 
8,863 posts, read 8,535,895 times
Reputation: 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Not really. Grocery stores only sell beer and wine. That won't be changing. Beer and wine don't require mixers. The sale of club soda, margarita mix, bloody mary mix, etc. at grocery stores, even if that is the only place you can get it, has little to no impact on the amount of beer and wine sold in a grocery store.

Barring liquor stores from selling mixers does nothing other than cause inconvenience for consumers.
ok--I am lost in the maze--the haze--of religion and politics. Obviously a person who doesn't need to be buying alcohol on any day.

In my low carb, sugar free life there are bigger issues. As long as Publix can continue to sell its own brand of diet sodas--including diet root beer and black cherry I think I will be fine.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 01:56 PM
 
14,564 posts, read 9,141,099 times
Reputation: 3440
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
ok--I am lost in the maze--the haze--of religion and politics. Obviously a person who doesn't need to be buying alcohol on any day.

In my low carb, sugar free life there are bigger issues. As long as Publix can continue to sell its own brand of diet sodas--including diet root beer and black cherry I think I will be fine.
One of the benefits of most alcoholic beverages is that they are natural foods derived directly from nature's bounty. Grapes, hops, grain and other goodness from the earth.

That is why the Good Lord provided them to us, and, as I mentioned in an earlier post, commended them to our use.

The Bible teaches us, "Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for God has already approved what you do."
Ecclesiastes 9:7.

I'm not knocking diet sodas and artificial sweeteners, but I will have to say they don't seem as close to our natural world.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top