Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 10:57 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,998,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Oh, the moral police. I suppose Christians aren't allowed to have a say in their government, then, are they?
Anyone who is a citizen of the US has a say. That's what voting is for.

Don't like the proposed changes ... go vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 06:01 AM

470 posts, read 1,273,585 times
that person is probably someone who stays home during the week and with free time on their hands.. Us working people that has both people working during the week finds this law very inconvenient.

I still dont understand the argument christianity wise. America is full of christians and the other states dont do this. Are you saying that the rest of america's christians are really not christians? again, u are painting a double standard and the christian you tout you are really conviently trying to alter them to serve your purpose. ridiculous...

Old 01-26-2011, 06:59 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,228,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
The Founding Fathers, by and large, were Christians. In fact, the vast majority were. Many of them spoke that only a Godly people could uphold a constitutional republic form of government, and I think that they were correct.

Alcohol is a DRUG. It's not about limiting rights, etc. It's plain crap, bad for the mind and body. It's completely worthless, by and large. It should be banned.

Political Thought is what is not to be silenced. Silencing political thought is unconstitutional, not limiting access to a death agent drug.
The founding fathers loved to drink alcohol.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:12 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,509,481 times
Jesus's first miracle was changing water into wine (Wedding Feast at Cana). I think he'd approve.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:16 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,419,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
The founding fathers loved to drink alcohol.
Yes, they did. They were men of some kind of 'Faith'--I have no idea what Thomas Jefferson's thoughts on alcohol might have been and I have heard an infinite amount of theories on what he thought about religion and government. I know Benjamin Franklin believed in 'personal responsibility'--common sense, etc and might be considered a 'Libertarian'.

I have to believe that the Founding Fathers would prefer that their efforts to establish a nation not be entirely wasted.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:21 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,509,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Yes, they did. They were men of some kind of 'Faith'--I have no idea what Thomas Jefferson's thoughts on alcohol might have been and I have heard an infinite amount of theories on what he thought about religion and government. I know Benjamin Franklin believed in 'personal responsibility'--common sense, etc and might be considered a 'Libertarian'.

I have to believe that the Founding Fathers would prefer that their efforts to establish a nation not be entirely wasted.
Actually Thomas Jefferson was pro wine and beer in moderation. He was big on moderation and personal responsibility. He was against hard alcohol from a health perspective. Just a random fact I picked up living in Charottesville VA for several years. I took about 20 tours of Monticello with friends and family visiting frequently.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
Jesus's first miracle was changing water into wine (Wedding Feast at Cana). I think he'd approve.
Possibly--although that wasn't the real message of that story. The 'wine' was symbolic.

The interpretation of the Bible--the most misunderstood book in the world.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
Actually Thomas Jefferson was pro wine and beer in moderation. He was big on moderation and personal responsibility. He was against hard alcohol from a health perspective. Just a random fact I picked up living in Charottesville VA for several years. I took about 20 tours of Monticello with friends and family visiting frequently.
Good to know. So we were founded by Libertarians---not Conservatives or Liberals. Let's just honor that tradition and get on with our lives before it's too late.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:37 AM

3,699 posts, read 5,948,940 times
Other awesome things the "The Founding Fathers Did It!" argument can be made to advance:

- Holding/raping slaves
- Preventing women from voting

Need I go on?

I'm not equating banning Sunday sales to these horrible things, but you just cannot come on here and act like these are valid arguments when the exact same logic would indicate that holding slaves is kosher.

Don't even get me started with the horrible implications the "This is our dominant culture and belief system" would have if applied uniformly across the world. That very argument is used all the time when justifying horrific violations of human rights that occur routinely in other countries; you'd best not start using it here.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:47 AM

705 posts, read 1,106,739 times
The bottom line is, who's business is it anyway if someone buys liquor on sunday. Whose business is it if someone drinks on sunday. Like I said, many of us view sunday as just another day, I fish on sunday, I work in the yard on sunday, I work on sunday when I'm scheduled to, as do many others. This should be a non-issue, if it's allowed on a particular day, it should be allowed every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta