Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:41 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I'm just trying to keep it real. Unless there is a breakthrough in fusion energy (which we've been chasing for decades), the only realistic alternative to fossil fuels is nuclear fission and that possibility drives liberals insane. Wind and solar can only generate a small amount of our energy needs and wind mills are surprising doing serious damage to birds and bats allowing insect populations to flourish.
A scientist once "proved" that it was impossible to break the sound barrier. How's that working out for him? Furthermore, the cost of wind power is coming down, the price of petroleum is going up, and the true cost of coal is highly underestimated. I recognize that there is an economic roadblock to green energy, but it is not as high as the naysayers think.

Quote:
I really do think the green aspects and collective nature of rail travel thrills liberals. Reduce that "carbon footprint", remove individual travel, and shoot down corporate jets!
See, you're just trolling now. I honestly don't know if you know how to have an actual debate.

Quote:
Easy, hit me up!
Say something rational and I just might hit you up, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 12:56 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
A scientist once "proved" that it was impossible to break the sound barrier. How's that working out for him? Furthermore, the cost of wind power is coming down, the price of petroleum is going up, and the true cost of coal is highly underestimated. I recognize that there is an economic roadblock to green energy, but it is not as high as the naysayers think.
I don't think scientists back then claimed to have proven that breaking the sound barrier was impossible. It was just speculated given the difficulties of wings shearing off at such speeds.

It's not so much the cost of wind power, but rather its availability and amount of energy that can be generated. Plus, windmills are wreaking havoc on the environment in terms of birds and bats killed which are needed to keep the insect population in check for our food supply.

Quote:
See, you're just trolling now. I honestly don't know if you know how to have an actual debate.
No, I really think liberals have an extreme love for "green" stuff. They hate SUVs and love to depict their owners as uncaring and self-centered.

Stan driving his SUV into stuff - YouTube

They want our world to revolve around small homes, solar power, tiny cars, and mass transit.

Quote:
Say something rational and I just might hit you up, too.
Hey, some have repped me with a snide comment. Guess there are good and bad reputations.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:03 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times
OK I'm going to respond to the one comment actually worth responding to...Don't underestimate the power of research to find new, clean fuels, to make the ones we have cleaner, and to make the clean ones cheaper. Never doubt science's ability to do what seems virtually impossible, limited only by time, money, and human will.

Case in point: Thorium. Remember that name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta