Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 11:04 AM

17 posts, read 31,322 times

Advertisements

ok so would like to know of decent areas outside of Atlanta, that would be good for two college students who would be living on their own for the first time...looking for possible public housing/based on income housing...or affordable apartments [$400 to $600]

also any advice/suggestions on good two year colleges that allow you to transfer credits to a four year college in the Atlanta area

DO NOT Want to live in the METRO AREA because of Traffic but college suggestions would be ok thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 11:24 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
There can be more traffic in the suburbs than in the city

Old 01-28-2011, 11:30 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
fwiw--When you create a thread in the Atlanta forum you really don't need all caps and exclamation points. If anyone has any advice they will respond if they don't they won't--no matter how urgently you need it.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
fwiw--When you create a thread in the Atlanta forum you really don't need all caps and exclamation points. If anyone has any advice they will respond if they don't they won't--no matter how urgently you need it.
ok...thanks appreciate how you had helpful advice about my question thanks!

Old 01-28-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
There can be more traffic in the suburbs than in the city
True but I've heard Atlanta's metro area has horrible traffic and drivers lol

Old 01-28-2011, 11:36 AM

65 posts, read 181,253 times
The Kennesaw area is outside of the perimeter, but there is still some traffic. Kennesaw has Kennesaw State. There is Clayton State which is a little south of Atlanta, but I would not suggest living there because the area is run down (my parents still live there).

Technically both colleges are still considered in the Metro part of Atlanta and there will be traffic. If you want to get away from most of the traffic you may want to look at UGA, but it's a 4 year university.

Have you applied to FAFSA? You may be able to get some grants/scholarships based on income. Good luck!!

Old 01-28-2011, 11:37 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c00ki3sNcream2011 View Post
ok...thanks appreciate how you had helpful advice about my question thanks!
I honestly don't have any exceptionally good advice. Try Carrollton--there is a university there--I attended it a million years ago.
http://www.westga.edu/
College students can live there fairly inexpensively. How you might like that I cannot say--it worked out fairly well for me.

Not a fast paced life--but you can get a degree--if that is your priority.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:43 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c00ki3sNcream2011 View Post
True but I've heard Atlanta's metro area has horrible traffic and drivers lol
traffic is not bad in atlanta unless you live on the north side of town

Old 01-28-2011, 11:52 AM

66 posts, read 182,857 times
Georgia Perimeter College has a well-established transfer program with many four-year schools from neighboring states.

Schools to Choose From

And they have a few locations

Campus Locations :: Georgia Perimeter College

the only one that could be considered outside the metro area is the Newton campus, but I have no idea about the covington,ga area.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:58 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
This is one of the oddest requests I've seen. Why would you move here for a two year school? Do you honestly expect to get subsidized housing (given that you presumably have a car in which to get stuck in traffic)? Traffic is that big a deal to you that it is the one thing that determines whether you live within the metro or not? Also, traffic is a dealbreaker for living in Atlanta during two year school, but you plan to move to Atlanta for four year school despite the traffic?

I'm sorry, but this plan doesn't make much sense. Think through your plans carefully--if you are living at home in another part of the country, it might be worth sticking to a nearby 2 year school while saving money, then transfering to whatever four year college in Atlanta you'd prefer.

Outside of the metro area, you can definitely get by on $600/mo for the two of you for rent. There are numerous colleges around that can allow you to transfer in to another college in the metro area. West Georgia (Carrollton) is a good one to look at, although it's still within the metro.

Otherwise, just suck it up and go to something like Georgia Perimeter or Clayton State. The traffic is bad, I guess, but not that bad. It's not like you'll be commuting into downtown every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta