U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 01:59 AM

390 posts, read 354,499 times

Advertisements

"Atlanta-based Chick-fil-A has found itself drawn into a fight over gay rights in Pennsylvania."

Chick-fil-A locked in a Pennsylvania fight over gay marriage | Political Insider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 07:46 AM

12,875 posts, read 19,571,159 times
Sounds like a tempest in a teapot to me. It cannot come as a surprise to many Atlantans that Chick-Fil-A has a Conservative Christian ethos built into it's corporate mission. I don't see that anyone's civil rights are being violated here; if you are in disagreement with their policies, you are free to vote with your feet, and Chick-fil-A should be prepared for the economic fallout of such decisions.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:21 AM

1,301 posts, read 1,235,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
"Atlanta-based Chick-fil-A has found itself drawn into a fight over gay rights in Pennsylvania."

Chick-fil-A locked in a Pennsylvania fight over gay marriage | Political Insider
Bottomline, Gays and THEIR intolerance for ANYONE who disagrees with their agenda loose and Chick-fil-a wins. Chick-fil-a wont feel the economic impact of any of this and will most definetely see thier bottomline increase because of the attention that this ridiculous story is generating.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:03 AM

9,129 posts, read 21,709,711 times
CFA had a couple of lawsuits going against them by management trainees a couple of years ago. Apparently at the end and/or beginning of a training session, the trainers "required" people to say a prayer. There were some trainees who were not Christian who did not bow their heads and pray and supposedly they were given grief for it. Lawsuits were filed and the last I heard of it, the courts had told CFA they were violating laws and to cool it. But I didn't hear anything after that so not sure of the final result.

I'm not a particularly religious person, nor am I an atheist. I keep an "open mind" to all things. However, I'm not crazy about businesses that do mix religion and business (regardless of the religion) and I've actually never spent one dollar at a Chick-fil-A for the sheer fact they're not open on Sundays. I really don't care about their stance on gay stuff, war issues, prayer or whatever, but mixing religious beliefs with tossing fast food over a counter to me, isn't cool. Many people are off of work on Saturdays and Sundays - and it's their only time to eat out. If a restaurant is closed on Sundays obviously I can't eat there then, but I won't give them my money any other day of the week, either. It's within their right to be open or closed whenever they want, but it's also my right to not spend my money there, too.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:09 AM

1,576 posts, read 1,393,327 times
Lightbulb Scoob...Two Points Come To Mind Here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Bottomline, Gays and THEIR intolerance for ANYONE who disagrees with their agenda loose and Chick-fil-a wins. Chick-fil-a wont feel the economic impact of any of this and will most definetely see thier bottomline increase because of the attention that this ridiculous story is generating.
But before I get to them, let me say this---I ain't gay...never been gay...don't have a desire to BE gay...don't know much of what it's like to be gay...but gay folk are just as much a part of the fabric of American life as conservative you and moderate-centrist me, even if you don't necessarily agree with their 'agenda'.

Now to my points...

1) Isn't 'intolerance' a bit strong? Let me give you an example...you and Bullbear are two of my favorite 'sparring partners' here...I know both of you guys are rock-solid conservative in your views, and that we aren't always gonna agree with each other...but wouldn't it be 'intolerant' of me if one day, I just decided that I was gonna just stop being rational and just start screaming and yelling (in my posts LOL) at you guys, and shoot down in flames every reasoned argument you might make?

Here's where I stand...I have friends, co-workers, neighbors, even a stray relative or 2, who are gay...I don't practice/subscribe to the gay lifestyle, but I will not ostracize these people, and close 'em out of my circle, simply because of their sexual/lifestyle preference...same as I'm not gonna stop dialoguing with you and Bullbear, just because we come down on opposite sides of the poltical spectrum...I'd consider myself a rank dumba** if I did something like that...see where I'm going with this?

2) Finally, why is the story 'ridiculous'? I happened to see a well-done clip about this on TV, and I see the point of BOTH sides...I'm not gonna ostracize gays for THEIR choices, and I'm not gonna stop eating Chick-Fil-A products because of THEIR beliefs...I do that, and EVERYBODY loses in some way, shape, or form...

Old 01-31-2011, 09:41 AM

5,098 posts, read 4,670,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
However, I'm not crazy about businesses that do mix religion and business (regardless of the religion) and I've actually never spent one dollar at a Chick-fil-A for the sheer fact they're not open on Sundays. I really don't care about their stance on gay stuff, war issues, prayer or whatever, but mixing religious beliefs with tossing fast food over a counter to me, isn't cool. Many people are off of work on Saturdays and Sundays - and it's their only time to eat out. If a restaurant is closed on Sundays obviously I can't eat there then, but I won't give them my money any other day of the week, either. It's within their right to be open or closed whenever they want, but it's also my right to not spend my money there, too.
That's sort of arbitrary, though, isn't it? Does the religious ethos of Chick-fil-A affect your own personal beliefs? Hell, does it affect the quality of the food? Would you have the same attitude towards giving your money to a company that was owned by atheists?....I think it's so unfair that society is pressing the religious (mostly Christians) to "hide" their beliefs for their own sake.

And I would hardly call CFA "eating out" food. It's more like "lunch break" or "pick some up on the way home from work" food.

People saying that they won't support CFA because of their religious beliefs is like saying they won't buy a batch of cookies from that little, old, Lutheran lady down the street....who's closed on Sunday so she can go to church.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:01 AM

15,040 posts, read 9,805,129 times
To me this sounds like a difference of opinion. The management of CFA clearly has the right to give money to anti-gay causes, and others (including CFA employees and customers) clearly have the right to applaud or criticize them for that. That's just plain old free speech.

It might be different if CFA was refusing to serve gay customers, but that's not the situation here. In Georgia there really aren't any laws prohibiting discrimination against gays anyway.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:18 AM

7,739 posts, read 10,023,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I'm not a particularly religious person, nor am I an atheist. I keep an "open mind" to all things. However, I'm not crazy about businesses that do mix religion and business (regardless of the religion) and I've actually never spent one dollar at a Chick-fil-A for the sheer fact they're not open on Sundays. I really don't care about their stance on gay stuff, war issues, prayer or whatever, but mixing religious beliefs with tossing fast food over a counter to me, isn't cool. Many people are off of work on Saturdays and Sundays - and it's their only time to eat out. If a restaurant is closed on Sundays obviously I can't eat there then, but I won't give them my money any other day of the week, either. It's within their right to be open or closed whenever they want, but it's also my right to not spend my money there, too.
Greg...your right to spend your money anywhere you feel is best. I respect that choice.

As I mentioned in the Sunday alcohol thread, CFA choosing to voluntarily close on Sunday is something that doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I respect that they are willing to put their money where their mouth is and follow their beliefs. No one is forced to buy into a franchise, and everyone knows that CFA is closed on Sunday. They do not try to force other businesses to close on Sunday, nor do they preach to customers or print bible verses on chicken wrappers.

Folks who dislike CFA's politics are always free to take their business elsewhere, but I find it ironic that the gay lobby and others who typically protest and preach for tolerance are the ones who are intolerant of any opinion that doesn't agree with theirs, and to the point of demanding the company not be allowed to even do business on college campuses. Why not let the market decide? If students disagree with CFA and boycott them, they'll disappear pretty quickly.

For the record, I have no problem with gay marriage and lived in the only state at the time where it was legal. I just can't stand the bully tactics used by the gay lobby to try and bulldoze over anyone who has any kind of diverging opinion. I thought diversity was good?

Old 01-31-2011, 10:19 AM

9,129 posts, read 21,709,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
And I would hardly call CFA "eating out" food. It's more like "lunch break" or "pick some up on the way home from work" food.
I know people who live on the stuff. But I agree, "fast food" to me is not a main meal whenever I can avoid it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
People saying that they won't support CFA because of their religious beliefs is like saying they won't buy a batch of cookies from that little, old, Lutheran lady down the street....who's closed on Sunday so she can go to church.
No comparison. An old woman isn't a "business".

And it doesn't matter what their particular religious beliefs are. I just have a "thing" about what businesses should be open on Sundays is all - and it's just my thing. No one is expected to share that thing... it's just my personal opinion. But like many people, I work Monday through Friday. I only have two days to do my "stuff" (errands, shop, eat out, etc). I'm not alone - more people have a M-F schedule than those who do not. So it makes no sense for a business like a restaurant to not be open on a Sunday (or a car log... or an apartment leasing office... etc). If they're not, then I'll take my money elsewhere on that day, and most likely the other days as well because I'll get into the sheer habit of spending my money at the places that are open convenient to me and my schedule and on the days I have off to spend my money.

Honestly, if people want to close their doors on Sunday (or Saturday), burn incense or open any prayer book from any religion and sing "lalalala" all day long due to their own beliefs, they have the right. It's America - more power to them. Just don't knock those who choose to do their business with the non-lalas, though. I give my $$ to those who are open when I walk up to their door, and am not going to reschedule my day due to others' personal beliefs. So for me it has nothing to do with their stance on gay issues. Most likely they also have big issues with divorce, people living together, wanting prayer in schools... tons of other things. Once again - imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Greg...your right to spend your money anywhere you feel is best. I respect that choice.

As I mentioned in the Sunday alcohol thread, CFA choosing to voluntarily close on Sunday is something that doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I respect that they are willing to put their money where their mouth is and follow their beliefs. No one is forced to buy into a franchise, and everyone knows that CFA is closed on Sunday. They do not try to force other businesses to close on Sunday, nor do they preach to customers or print bible verses on chicken wrappers.
This reminds me of a "standoff" once between CFA and the mall back home in my home town, though. The area is a relatively religious area, but it's not the deep South "Bible Belt"ish area, either. Well, CFA wanted to open in the food court in the mall, but management told them they HAD to be open during the mall's regular hours, which included Sunday. Of course, CFA refused, so the mall refused to allow them to open within the mall. Same went for a Christian book store that wanted to be closed on Sundays. The mall was accused of discrimination, but in fact, they were only saying that all businesses that opened within the mall itself were required to be open during the mall's hours to accommodate patrons equally. CFA pulled out, but I think the book store opened on Sundays so they could be in the building. That was years ago so I'm not sure how things panned out as time went on but it was an interesting "show down" between a facility that operated "by the book" with business, as opposed to those who operate a business based on personal beliefs.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 01-31-2011 at 10:29 AM..

Old 01-31-2011, 10:27 AM

15,040 posts, read 9,805,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
As I mentioned in the Sunday alcohol thread, CFA choosing to voluntarily close on Sunday is something that doesn't bother me at all.
For what it's worth, I feel exactly the same way about liquor stores. If you own one (or a chain of them) and don't want to open on Sunday, that's fine.

But the government has no business sticking its snout in and forcing everyone to close based on a religious custom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta