U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 03:25 AM

62 posts, read 151,638 times

Advertisements

Have you ever wished you made more money, married rich or was due to collect on a large inheritance? Not for the sake of being cast on one of the reality tv housewives shows, but so you could have access to the best money can buy? Since researching the Atlanta area for a nice place for my family to live, I am constantly reminded in every way imaginable that our money is just not good money. Simply put- we don't make enough money for our family to live the type of lifestyle we feel we've worked extremely hard for. Now, I'm certainly not looking for a mansion on a hill by any stretch, but we should be able to afford a nice home in a safe neighborhood with great schools without having to commit to a 2-hour commute to work everyday. Please stop me, if I'm starting to sound like a cry baby, but all of the more desirable homes have either a hefty price tag or crappy schools to complete the deal, and we simply can't afford private school with all of the other activities we'd like to do with our family. While it would be nice if everyone could afford this same access, I especially feel that when you graduate college, get married and do all that is expected of you, the pay-off should be a happy life with access to some of the best that life has to offer. When will things level out? I apologize for ranting. I guess I'm finding it a little disheartening to show up at the store with 15 cents only to discover that everything in it costs $1 .

Last edited by taphest; 02-05-2011 at 04:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 03:31 AM

13,169 posts, read 9,264,725 times
You have merely experienced the inequitable trade for your labor coupled with the obligation to support the faceless horde of bureaucrats, drones, and dead beats.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
You have merely experienced the inequitable trade for your labor coupled with the obligation to support the faceless horde of bureaucrats, drones, and dead beats.
And so it goes...

Old 02-05-2011, 08:18 AM

19 posts, read 58,433 times
Try adding an MBA to the mix and deleting the kids...

That's just reality setting in. Unfortunately, it is reality for so many hardworking, well-educated Americans.

Welcome to the club!

Last edited by SATXNY; 02-05-2011 at 08:42 AM..

Old 02-05-2011, 11:04 AM

2,206 posts, read 5,961,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taphest View Post
I especially feel that when you graduate college, get married and do all that is expected of you, the pay-off should be a happy life with access to some of the best that life has to offer.
taphest, I think perhaps Americans enjoyed something like what you're describing for a brief period in the decades after WW II. However, the expectation you describe has never been remotely true for the vast majority of the world's population, throughout history. It's becoming less and less true for most Americans today, although ironically, the lifestyle available to you right now would still look pretty fabulous to most of the planet's population -- even the smart and hard-working people.

Your kids will be competing for jobs with people all over the planet, many of whom are currently in school studying much harder than young Americans. What kinds of income and lifestyle opportunities will be available to your kids? Will being American automatically provide them with the planet's best standard of living? These are some questions worth thinking about before voting for our representatives.

Meanwhile, best wishes on your decision-making process. I agree with the advice others have given you on other threads: metro Atlanta is so spread out, with bad commuter traffic and, like everywhere, a tight job market. First find jobs, then work out where to live.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:59 AM

397 posts, read 702,090 times
Quote:
I especially feel that when you graduate college, get married and do all that is expected of you, the pay-off should be a happy life with access to some of the best that life has to offer. .
I'm not sure what that 1st part, that I bolded, means. What does getting married have to do with earning more money to buy more things or experiences?

What else are you talking about that was "expected of you"?

I think for some reason our culture tends to generate a lot of people who always want more. More clothes, better cars, nicer houses, bigger tv - whatever. And I do this myself to varying degrees BUT I do NOT think that I should have all of it beacause I have checked off a few boxes - college - check
married - check
kids - well not yet.

Your money and standard of living are probably good compared to many people in the world as was mentioned above.

If you think you deserve more, demonstrate that you have the skills that warrant a bigger paycheck.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdawk View Post
I'm not sure what that 1st part, that I bolded, means. What does getting married have to do with earning more money to buy more things or experiences?

What else are you talking about that was "expected of you"?

I think for some reason our culture tends to generate a lot of people who always want more. More clothes, better cars, nicer houses, bigger tv - whatever. And I do this myself to varying degrees BUT I do NOT think that I should have all of it beacause I have checked off a few boxes - college - check
married - check
kids - well not yet.

Your money and standard of living are probably good compared to many people in the world as was mentioned above.

If you think you deserve more, demonstrate that you have the skills that warrant a bigger paycheck.
My sense of entitlement comes from pulling myself up by the bootstraps and taking carefully calculated steps to set up for my future. It's a no-brainer that getting married puts me in a higher income bracket so I was simply saying that two incomes are better than one and should give me more buying power. As far as doing what was expected of me...I believe that hardworking people who do their best to plan out their lives, take responsibility for themselves and whose only crime is wanting the best for themselves and their family, should be able to find it without having to sell their soul to get it. For the most part, I was just ranting. However, I know I speak for the majority of mediocre-educated folk when I say trying to make a decent life for my family is becoming more and more difficult with very little return. As far as proving my skills deserve a bigger paycheck, that was my precisely my point. How much does it take to buy a slice of that good ole apple pie?

While I don't have a Harvard degree (or anything remotely close for that matter), I still believe that my hard work and achievements warrant a better lifestyle than my current money can buy. Wanting a nice home in a nice neighborhood with great schools should be accessible to ordinary Americans like myself. Don't you agree?

Last edited by taphest; 02-05-2011 at 02:30 PM..

Old 02-05-2011, 01:41 PM

42,336 posts, read 50,019,797 times
When you have less money, it's time to prioritize, not cry about it.

You said there were other activities your family likes to do...how important are they? Compared to the schools? How much do you value space?

If 'more money' is what you want, what can you do to earn it? Can you create your own work? People who make jobs rather than fill positions...those are the ones who will really get ahead.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:04 PM

397 posts, read 702,090 times
Quote:
It's a no-brainer that getting married put me in a higher income bracket so I was simply saying that two incomes are better than one and should give me more buying power.
More income - sure maybe, if both are working- but oftentimes more expenses too.
My marriage for example leaves me with less disposable income.

Quote:
While I don't have a Harvard degree (or anything remotely close for that matter), I still believe that my hard work and achievements warrant a better lifestyle than my current money can buy. Wanting a nice home in a nice neighborhood with great schools should be accessible to ordinary Americans like myself. Don't you agree?
Nice is relative. Without having your finances, I would still guess that some people would say the nieghborhood, schools etc that you can afford would be nice.

Tell a recent immigrant that having nice things in the US is not an accessible goal.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
When you have less money, it's time to prioritize, not cry about it.

You said there were other activities your family likes to do...how important are they? Compared to the schools? How much do you value space?

If 'more money' is what you want, what can you do to earn it? Can you create your own work? People who make jobs rather than fill positions...those are the ones who will really get ahead.
While I appreciate the dialogue, this really isn't a conversation about prioritizing or managing my money b/c (in my opinion) I do that quite well. As for the rest of your comment...what makes you think I'm crying?

Last edited by taphest; 02-05-2011 at 02:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta