U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:57 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,855,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post

Then, whats the point?
I read that 2x myself. If the bill passes then counties/municipalities can vote on the issue.

'Local city councils and county commissioners would have to decide whether to put the issue to voters in the same way they are now allowed to ask voters to approve alcohol sales at restaurants and bars on Sundays.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 12:00 PM

10,026 posts, read 9,360,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
The legislation is only to allow us to vote. The vote that would take place as a result of the legislation, and not the current piece of legislation, is what would allow alcohol to be sold (or to keep things as they are).
The point is (in my very jaded view of things) to allow the legislators to pass the buck and avoid any backlash or political consequences.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:09 PM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,086,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
The point is (in my very jaded view of things) to allow the legislators to pass the buck and avoid any backlash or political consequences.
And in MY jaded view of things, even if this bill passes, who's to say the various local governments are going to put it on the ballots? They may decide not to, or not be competent to remember to, or they might refuse to and prefer a legal battle.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:24 PM

Indeed. I think the only safe bets here (on ultimate approval of Sunday sales) are the localities within 285. I'm fine with local decisions, but this still boils down to a church and state issue at the end of the day. No other honest explanation.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:33 PM

4,373 posts, read 6,047,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I read that 2x myself. If the bill passes then counties/municipalities can vote on the issue.

'Local city councils and county commissioners would have to decide whether to put the issue to voters in the same way they are now allowed to ask voters to approve alcohol sales at restaurants and bars on Sundays.'

I forgot about that part of the option, folks .

Old 02-09-2011, 12:42 PM

13,424 posts, read 16,998,794 times
This will happen. Finally. Of course, as the bill is written it only allows for communities to have local referendums on the issue -- it doesn't change the law statewide. So Sunday sales won't happen just like that (snap!).

Old 02-09-2011, 12:43 PM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,086,705 times
Quote:
Indeed. I think the only safe bets here (on ultimate approval of Sunday sales) are the localities within 285. I'm fine with local decisions, but this still boils down to a church and state issue at the end of the day. No other honest explanation.
Of course, and now they aren't even hiding that fact, like they did during Perdue's years.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:46 PM

6 posts, read 5,597 times
Let's be real here, we all know that the football loving southerners who back the GOP love this new sunday law proposal. But realistically, GA has a lot of backwards laws and costly laws for petty marijuana possession (which BTW causes less death than alcohol). This new thing is nothing to brag about IMO... Certainly not a decision based upon intelligent insight... and I think that this law is more about Georgians letting go of their pride and joining the rest of the educated country... Kudos to ya'll

Old 02-09-2011, 01:03 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,627,205 times
Quote:

It will pass outside of 285. Most people drink. Ga has a lot more drinkers verses people who dont drink.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
It will pass outside of 285. Most people drink. Ga has a lot more drinkers verses people who dont drink.
Of course, you're right. It will pass in other areas. I grew up in deep south Georiga, and many there still maintain a very strong "Sunday is the Lord's Day" attititude about this (no one go nutso on me, I'm not saying that attitude is wrong) and would never vote for Sunday sales, even though they will happily drink (a lot) after Sunday School and Church. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta