U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:48 AM

7,846 posts, read 14,893,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
More BS from Christian Coalition spokesman. Virtually every sentence either a bald faced lie or pure fantasy.
Religion, lies, and fantasy? Say it ain't so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 07:57 AM

705 posts, read 944,551 times
Quote:
More BS from Christian Coalition spokesman. Virtually every sentence either a bald faced lie or pure fantasy.

Pro & Con: Should Georgia allow retail alcohol sales on Sundays? *| ajc.com

From the Jerry Luquire piece;

"My response to a question, “Why do you oppose Sunday sales?” is, “Why do you support it?” Do you want Sunday to become another Saturday with its increased abuse of alcohol by drivers and family members? Would those barely legal decide on impulse to have a few — or many — since they are not at work, or in class or in adult associations? Would buyer age be monitored? "

I dont feel "support it" is the issue. The issue is do they support people's rights??? It's a matter of people having a choice and the right to choose. No one HAS to buy liquor on a sunday. But not giving the citizens the right to choose is the real issue. And it's the religious fanatics that are all about having the power to limit the citizens' right to choose through influencing the government to do just that. One more example of government limiting freedom.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:06 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,082,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Not sure about that. I don't think too many people are seeking out moonshine on Sunday, at least here in the metro area.
Of course not. I was referring to the Hazzard Counties of Georgia, which is where these Christian Coalition loudmouths live.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:08 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
Is it petty and childish of me to think it's funny that this joker's last name sounds a lot like liquor?

Old 02-15-2011, 08:35 AM

705 posts, read 944,551 times
Quote:
Is it petty and childish of me to think it's funny that this joker's last name sounds a lot like liquor?
I was thinking the same thing.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:45 AM

2,642 posts, read 7,375,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post

"My response to a question, “Why do you oppose Sunday sales?” is, “Why do you support it?” Do you want Sunday to become another Saturday with its increased abuse of alcohol by drivers and family members? Would those barely legal decide on impulse to have a few — or many — since they are not at work, or in class or in adult associations? Would buyer age be monitored? "

I dont feel "support it" is the issue. The issue is do they support people's rights??? It's a matter of people having a choice and the right to choose. No one HAS to buy liquor on a sunday. But not giving the citizens the right to choose is the real issue. And it's the religious fanatics that are all about having the power to limit the citizens' right to choose through influencing the government to do just that. One more example of government limiting freedom.
And my response to that is, honestly, "Because I want to enjoy the freedom of buying a legal product 7 days a week. Yes. Potentially. It already is."

Sure, he's trying to force his morality on me by implying that supporting Sunday sales is the same as abdicating my basic humanity towards the suffering of others. But that's HIS problem. I don't find exercises in futility to be a good way of helping my fellow man. I prefer more efficacious methods.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:07 PM

29,413 posts, read 26,372,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Having grown up in rural Georgia, this isn't really surprising. Religion holds sway of many things public. Behind closed doors, however, it's vastly different.
Well, that's very true.

I would have guessed that some legislators might have been okay with a local option bill and defended their position to the folks back home by saying "It's just for those Atlanta people." But maybe even that is going too far.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:29 AM

10,026 posts, read 9,355,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, that's very true.

I would have guessed that some legislators might have been okay with a local option bill and defended their position to the folks back home by saying "It's just for those Atlanta people." But maybe even that is going too far.
I do think that what you suggest will ultimately happen. But intimidating our legislators into backing down is the first arrow in the quiver. This tactic gives them two shots.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:52 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,852,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I do think that what you suggest will ultimately happen. But intimidating our legislators into backing down is the first arrow in the quiver. This tactic gives them two shots.
Earlier today there was a headline on the AJC--something about a private poll being taken today in the Senate to determine if it was worth pursuing this piece of legislation.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:00 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Earlier today there was a headline on the AJC--something about a private poll being taken today in the Senate to determine if it was worth pursuing this piece of legislation.
There is also a Bob Barr editorial in today's AJC about what a bunch of a** -clowns our state legislators are for keeping blue laws in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta