U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 10:01 AM

7,846 posts, read 14,882,910 times

Advertisements

If I'm reading correctly, now some of the Senators are suggesting that the bill should decide for the state, rather than authorize home rule at the local level. While that would be great, I have no problem with some po dunk county in South Georgia deciding they'd prefer not to have Sunday package store sales.

If the legislators don't have the backbone and gonads to just outright eliminate the blue laws, then I'll take a local solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 10:12 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,839,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
If I'm reading correctly, now some of the Senators are suggesting that the bill should decide for the state, rather than authorize home rule at the local level. While that would be great, I have no problem with some po dunk county in South Georgia deciding they'd prefer not to have Sunday package store sales.

If the legislators don't have the backbone and gonads to just outright eliminate the blue laws, then I'll take a local solution.
Philosophical differences within the GOP--OK. Then I predict no further progress will be made.

I mentioned this topic to a member of my family--staunchly in favor of not allowing the Sunday sales--as predicted I was told that I am obviously not a Christian and someone who did not realize the inherent dangers of alcohol. Case closed. I understand this individual's position --with alcoholism in the family and all the problems that go with that it will never be a topic that can be discussed.

Still wondering how the other 47 states dealt with this.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:22 AM

10,024 posts, read 9,337,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Philosophical differences within the GOP--OK. Then I predict no further progress will be made.

I mentioned this topic to a member of my family--staunchly in favor of not allowing the Sunday sales--as predicted I was told that I am obviously not a Christian and someone who did not realize the inherent dangers of alcohol. Case closed. I understand this individual's position --with alcoholism in the family and all the problems that go with that it will never be a topic that can be discussed.

Still wondering how the other 47 states dealt with this.
Their legislators were a bit more, shall I say, "enlightened"? Or had a pair, not sure which. Probably both.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:27 AM

7,846 posts, read 14,882,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I do not understand that position....it's not as if alcohol is banned on Sunday now. You can go get smashed anywhere you want at a restaurant or bar. The difference is then you have to get home, whether you do it DUI, you spend money on a taxi, or force someone to be a DD. Either way, you are at risk or inconvenienced. How does buying a bottle of wine at the grocery store on Sunday increase or impact on the dangers of alcohol? I just don't get it.

On top of all that... why Sunday? If we're concerned about the "dangers" of alcohol, then why not ban it completely as we did back in the 1920s? How is restricting citizens to going to a bar to drink going to lessen any of the ills of alcohol? That thinking is absurd and frankly people who espouse that thinking are one brick shy of a load.

Bottom line for me is that I don't drink all that much, but I do resent the arrogance of the religious bible thumpers who insist on trying to ram their social values and religion down my throat. I'm a libertarian and that makes me see red.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I do not understand that position....it's not as if alcohol is banned on Sunday now. You can go get smashed anywhere you want at a restaurant or bar. The difference is then you have to get home, whether you do it DUI, you spend money on a taxi, or force someone to be a DD. Either way, you are at risk or inconvenienced. How does buying a bottle of wine at the grocery store on Sunday increase or impact on the dangers of alcohol? I just don't get it.

On top of all that... why Sunday? If we're concerned about the "dangers" of alcohol, then why not ban it completely as we did back in the 1920s? How is restricting citizens to going to a bar to drink going to lessen any of the ills of alcohol? That thinking is absurd and frankly people who espouse that thinking are one brick shy of a load.

Bottom line for me is that I don't drink all that much, but I do resent the arrogance of the religious bible thumpers who insist on trying to ram their social values and religion down my throat. I'm a libertarian and that makes me see red.
I know Neil, I know. As far as my family is concerned--it is best to listen to the opinions and say 'nothing'. We agree on a few things--and have to stick with that. A discussion on the separation of church and state might be too much. They wouldn't drink on the other 6 days and are productive people --'I have a right to believe as I choose.' I don't need to be told again.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:53 AM

29,362 posts, read 26,322,855 times
Quote:

I hear you. No disrespect to anyone intended, but religion has often focused on issues that don't make logical sense. You just have to accept certain things, whether you can articulate the exact reason for them or not.

I've got a brother-in-law who's a preacher and every now and then we'll get into a discussion. I'll try to pin him down on one of those big questions that pop into your head when you're a little kid, such as, "If God loves all the children and he can do anything, then why does he let 25,000 a day die from malnutrition?" My BIL just says, well, everything happens for a reason and we humans will never know the answer.

Honestly, I have to scratch my head on certain religious positions because I think they are based on faith rather than what we humans call facts and rationality.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:05 AM

1,498 posts, read 2,616,560 times
The opposing Senators are likely the same hypocritical evangelicals that condemn those who drink yet won't hesitate to take a swig of the devil's punch whenever they get the chance. I'm Christian myself but I drink and I support Sunday alcohol sales 100%. Maybe that's cause I'm Catholic though--we don't think getting drunk is a sin. Either way, they should at least compromise and allow sales past 2:00. But like others have said, these hypocrites love to preach and impose thier beliefs on others. What's the old saying--the difference between your Presbyterian neighbor and your Southern Baptist neighbor is that the Presbyterian will say hello to you in the liquor store.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I hear you. No disrespect to anyone intended, but religion has often focused on issues that don't make logical sense. You just have to accept certain things, whether you can articulate the exact reason for them or not.

I've got a brother-in-law who's a preacher and every now and then we'll get into a discussion. I'll try to pin him down on one of those big questions that pop into your head when you're a little kid, such as, "If God loves all the children and he can do anything, then why does he let 25,000 a day die from malnutrition?" My BIL just says, well, everything happens for a reason and we humans will never know the answer.

Honestly, I have to scratch my head on certain religious positions because I think they are based on faith rather than what we humans call facts and rationality.
lol--Omnipotence. I don't participate in that discussion. Mankind is supposed to strive to improve eternally--my best guess.

For alcohol there are some logical reasons. Having heard more than I ever want to hear I know I stand solidly on --'It is not my place to dictate to anyone else --only to make choices that are appropriate for myself.'

Old 02-16-2011, 11:45 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,068,373 times
Can these guys see any color other than black and white? Every issue? Really?:

GOP caucus could gauge support on Sunday alcohol sales Wednesday *| ajc.com

"Others, such as Sen. Mitch Seabaugh, R- Sharpsburg, said he believes it is the responsibility of the General Assembly to decide for the state. Georgia should not be a state where every issue is decided by referendums, he said."

Old 02-16-2011, 11:57 AM

29,362 posts, read 26,322,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
"Others, such as Sen. Mitch Seabaugh, R- Sharpsburg, said he believes it is the responsibility of the General Assembly to decide for the state. Georgia should not be a state where every issue is decided by referendums, he said."
These are your duly elected representatives. Don't you trust them to do the right thing? When they are ready for you to start buying booze on Sunday I am sure they will let you know.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta