U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-17-2011, 04:02 AM

704 posts, read 581,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
We've discussed the issue pretty well here and I would hope it is being discussed as thoroughly in the legislature.
I'm sure it'll be cussed, and dis-cussed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 05:35 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,554,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
I'm sure it'll be cussed, and dis-cussed.
It still sounds like a referendum might not be a bad idea. I'd really like to hear more about why that wouldn't work.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:26 AM

7,681 posts, read 9,722,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
This issue exemplifies the sad hypocrisy of many conservatives, who in my observation pay lip service to American devotion to "freedom" but in their actions show immense zeal for controlling the behavior of their fellow citizens to conform with their personal moral standards, preferences and prejudices. They try to whitewash this as "community standards" but it's freedom be damned, really.
RRD...I want to agree with you but also point out the broad brush your painting with here.

The word "conservative" is being used to mean anyone who is not a liberal. While that's a general definition, there are many different types of conservatives. There are fiscal conservatives (such as the Tea Party) and there are social conservatives.

In the south, people who are conservatives tend to be social conservatives. That is NOT the case in many other parts of the country. In states like New Hampshire, Connecticut, New York, Massachusetts, people are much more like me, libertarian. They are consistent with keeping the gov't out of our lives in all facets. Keep them out of our wallets, and keep them out of our bedrooms, and essentially keep them out of anything that does not infringe on the rights of others or cause bodily harm to others. Many are atheists or keep their religion as a personal part of their lives and don't wear it on their sleeve. The worst you may see are some of the devout Catholics who are opposed to abortion, but beyond that, religion is a non-factor in the northeast.

If you look at a recent study done by Gallup, it's no surprise that the south was the most religious region in the US. New England was the least religious. I think you have experienced the bible thumping of the south and associated it with "conservatives" but that's not the case nationwide.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/114022/St...-Religion.aspx

Old 02-17-2011, 06:27 AM

704 posts, read 581,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
It still sounds like a referendum might not be a bad idea. I'd really like to hear more about why that wouldn't work.
There was a sound bite from Seabough this morning on the radio, said the legislature regulates liquor sales now and should continue to do so. He doesnt favor the state becoming a referendum state. If they'd do the right thing there would be no need for referendums. I dont agree with regulating to eliminate one day out of the week for sales.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
There was a sound bite from Seabough this morning on the radio, said the legislature regulates liquor sales now and should continue to do so. He doesnt favor the state becoming a referendum state. If they'd do the right thing there would be no need for referendums. I dont agree with regulating to eliminate one day out of the week for sales.
I read that comment yesterday. I am not politically astute enough to know why it is better that the legislature regulate liquor sales. Example---Some counties/cities allow the sale of alcohol by the drink on Sunday and some don't--leading me to believe that this was decided by referendums?

Right or wrong?

I further believe that aside from objections from conservative Christians there must be other reasons ---If grocery stores/convenience stores were allowed to sell beer and wine on Sunday then this affects the owners of liquor stores?

Surely there are broader considerations than just the religious/moral aspects.

Boortz started on this yesterday--he is stuck on the conservative Christian factor and I just stopped listening. That is exciting---but I feel sure there are more mundane reasons which those involved in business understand and I do not.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:49 AM
JPD

7,741 posts, read 7,890,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
If you think these government folks are going to miss out on a tax windfall like this you are crazy. This is as good as it gets for sin taxes. Now folks can smoke AND drink right through the entire weekend....should make Monday morning traffic a bit more interesting.....personal injury attorneys, get ready....one more big feast before people put you on the bottom of the ocean once and for all.....

Wow. Sunday goes from a Coma to the 3rd best day for sales of booze and cigarettes. And while I enjoy neither I can see why the State is licking it's chops over this one. Christ, it's like a busy Friday night in Buckhead with some drunk hot chick singing the proverbial Georgia mating call: "I'm so druuuuuuuuuunk".......boooya!

A laid-off worker has a better chance of landing a dream job than this tax feast going fallow. No way. What better time to sell this than when everyone is on edge and miserable. The bars and Patel's convenience stores are going to have to work real, real hard to keep up! Hopefully, the Saturday night robberies won't keep anyone from their favorite coolers.

Couple this with the windfall in DUI's, lawyer fees and other general malfeasance and you can go this an economic recovery all by itself! Whoa! Makes Sunday drives all that much more interesting. Nothing like keeping folks livers swollen until Monday to take that edge off of them. If you are an employer you can have to move those proverbial Monday morning meetings back an hour.

Hey, look at the bright side. Most employees will be so worn out they won't be able to bark back when you ask them to do something for a change. And wouldn't THAT be nice. Espeically that broad at the front door. Like a Pit Bull without the leash. Just throw her a bagel or piece of meat or whatever else you have going stale at home and that ought to shut her up for a few hours.....

Stock up on the coffee. Boom days are ahead of us now!
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:07 AM

2,205 posts, read 4,198,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
RRD...I want to agree with you but also point out the broad brush your painting with here.

I think you have experienced the bible thumping of the south and associated it with "conservatives" but that's not the case nationwide.
Good post, Neil, thanks. I had pretty much got that although of course, having only lived in the south (within the US), I sometimes have trouble maintaining awareness/belief that "conservative" in other parts of the country doesn't necessarily mean "social conservative". In the Georgia legislature I'm afraid the two are pretty much synonymous, and any legislator that isn't a social conservative apparently needs to tread very lightly for fear of provoking the vote-destroying censure of powerful lobby groups such as the Christian Coalition.

The anti-freedom aspect of the local version of conservatism really annoys me (if you hadn't guessed!) As a new American, I notice that Americans consider freedom to be one of our most important core values. I'm offended by how hypocritical social conservatives are about this. In my experience, liberal societies like Sweden or Canada have a much stronger commitment to live-and-let-live in regard to peoples' personal conduct and lifestyle. Social conservatives seem to believe, at heart, that the only freedom they value is freedom from taxation. I'm not saying freedom from taxation is not a good value (I'm sure you're in favor of it!) but really, having that as your only idea of freedom is pathetically shallow.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:13 AM

Pro & Con: Should Georgia allow retail alcohol sales on Sundays? *| ajc.com

'No'

<Opponents include the churches, adult living centers, PTAs, sports associations, anti-alcohol-for-any-reason folks, and the most vigilant, the voters who know Sunday ought to remain a Christian Sabbath. And yes, I realize these are the same people who populate the malls on Sunday. But that is not our issue.

Courts are closed on Sunday, governments don’t work, bills due on Sunday are on time the next Monday, schools are out. Sunday is, indeed, a special day. Just try to get your driver’s license on Sunday. Or do banking, or mail a package.

My response to a question, “Why do you oppose Sunday sales?” is, “Why do you support it?” Do you want Sunday to become another Saturday with its increased abuse of alcohol by drivers and family members? Would those barely legal decide on impulse to have a few — or many — since they are not at work, or in class or in adult associations? Would buyer age be monitored?>

I can only imagine how the discussions will go behind closed doors.

Would buyer age be monitored.

What do they say when someone points out that alcohol is sold by the drink on Sunday---I wish that had been included.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 02-17-2011 at 08:23 AM..

Old 02-17-2011, 08:15 AM

6,650 posts, read 20,784,475 times
RRD-
Are you sure your not confusing fiscal conservatism with social conservatism?

Old 02-17-2011, 08:36 AM

7,681 posts, read 9,722,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
As a new American, I notice that Americans consider freedom to be one of our most important core values. I'm offended by how hypocritical social conservatives are about this.
As a lifelong American, I am just as offended, hence my passionate reaction to issues like this one. I like to think that I'm consistent in my own thinking, and that I only seek to influence the actions of others when their actions have a direct impact on my life or limb.

I think many other conservatives share my values and thought process. Just look at current pols like Mitt Romney, Rudy Giuliani, and much of the current House Leadership in DC, like Paul Ryan...who I respect quite a lot. They are conservatives, but not southern conservatives, so their emphasis is on fiscal issues and defense issues, not private matters like religion. Traditional southerners...not all...but many...are deeply religious (which is fine) but they are also very provincial and narrow in their thinking. They just can't get their heads around the fact that people may not share their beliefs, and they just can't get their heads around the fact that people have other religious beliefs...or worse to them....no religious beliefs. They feel an obligation to show us (those with no beliefs or other beliefs) the "error" of our ways....that is arrogance at the utmost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta