U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 08:47 AM
JPD

7,741 posts, read 7,890,685 times
Relative to other parts of Metro Atlanta, City of Decatur has extremely high property taxes.

I'm sure they're worth it, since the schools, police and most other tax funded services are top notch, but I don't think that fact should be overlooked. It could be a dealbreaker for many homebuyers, and deserves to be taken into consideration before one falls in love with the area only to find out that it puts the area out of one's reach financially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 09:00 AM

2,827 posts, read 2,374,600 times
Yeah, I'll go ahead and do some negatives of Decatur since everyone (including me) is gushing over it. These are just my personal observations:

- High taxes--highest in the state from what I've heard
- Very liberal. Depending on your leanings, this could be an issue..
- Somewhat insular. It's kind of a bubble over there. This is the part that keeps me from living there.

If you don't live in the Decatur city proper, to get into the schools you can always pay tuition for your kids. It comes out to roughly $6k/year if I recall. The schools are extremely good and diverse--probably a more or less ideal learning situation for a kid in an open-minded family. This is a good alternative to paying for private school, like many people in intown neighborhoods do.

All in all, Decatur is great, but it's worth checking out the other intown neighborhoods to get a comparison, particularly those on the northeast side of downtown and midtown.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:32 AM

6,496 posts, read 6,618,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
Decatur people are passionate (probably because it's the best place to live in Atlanta). Seriously, as far as I'm concerned Decatur is totally unique for Atlanta. I don't know of any other part of the city that has everything Decatur has. It's highly walkable (and not just to bars -- you can walk to shops, restaurants, grocery stores and speciality markets, parks, schools, MARTA bus and rail, government offices, concerts and festivals on the courthouse square, etc.).
While Decatur is great, it is hardly the only neighborhood in Atlanta/ITP that has all of that. Midtown, Downtown, Inman Park, Candler Park, Cabbagetown, East Point, College Park, the West End, Brookhaven, the Peachtree Corridor in Buckhead, Lindbergh, and a dozen other places I won't go into.

Of course, there are significant differences in culture and vibe among them.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:49 AM

8,687 posts, read 11,921,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
While Decatur is great, it is hardly the only neighborhood in Atlanta/ITP that has all of that. Midtown, Downtown, Inman Park, Candler Park, Cabbagetown, East Point, College Park, the West End, Brookhaven, the Peachtree Corridor in Buckhead, Lindbergh, and a dozen other places I won't go into.

Of course, there are significant differences in culture and vibe among them.
Amen.

Especially the bolded ones.
(I didn't bold the others because the school situation is inconsistent--but with some jewels and lots of improvement+increasing interest!)

Last edited by aries4118; 02-10-2011 at 12:34 PM..

Old 02-10-2011, 12:26 PM

1,498 posts, read 1,650,253 times
I have another potential negative for Decatur. It has a very large lesbian population that can be very "in-your-face" at certain times and in certain places. It has earned Decatur a nickname, which I won't mention here, that some would say is well-deserved.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:34 PM

8,687 posts, read 11,921,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I have another potential negative for Decatur. It has a very large lesbian population that can be very "in-your-face" at certain times and in certain places. It has earned Decatur a nickname, which I won't mention here, that some would say is well-deserved.
In the 90's maybe, but do you think it's still like that?

Old 02-10-2011, 12:38 PM

461 posts, read 562,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I have lived in Oakhurst for 5 years and never had an encounter such as this.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:43 PM
JPD

7,741 posts, read 7,890,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
In the 90's maybe, but do you think it's still like that?
Yeah, that's an outdated stereotype.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:19 PM

700 posts, read 772,411 times
Yes: beware of the tatted up, Doc Marten wearing, mullet sporting, men hating d**es in Decatur.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:20 PM

14,592 posts, read 9,174,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakhurstlauren View Post
I have lived in Oakhurst for 5 years and never had an encounter such as this.
There's no telling where all those lesbians went. Back before Decatur they used to congregate in Buckhead, but they are probably all over the place now. It wouldn't surprise me if I've run across one without even knowing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta