U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-11-2011, 12:54 PM
 
3 posts, read 2,342 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm moving my family to ATL (from Buenos Aires) since I was required to work there for no less than 3 years for my company.

Our main concern is how our 12 years old kid is going to be handling his insertion in a new Educational System -even when he can communicate good enough in English, he would be a Limited English Proficient (LEP) student. Our main goal is to make things easier for him and I would like to settle in a neighborhood with a good middle school where he can gain confidence and improve his language skills until he can perform as usual.

We would like to settle near my office in NE Atlanta (30306) to avoid driving too much and high expenses in car and fuel, but we can sacrifice this if there is no good school around and we need to move further.

We are looking for a family-friendly neighborhood with good middle school. We have no preference in terms of race, religion or culture; we would like to integrate with the community regardless any of these subjects.


I’m providing the information suggested in one of the sticky posts in this useful forum so you can have an idea about our situation/needs.

1. Budget: ~50k
2. House/Condo/Townhome: House is preferred; but it won't hurt to be in the other two.
3. Renting/Buying: Renting.
4. Employment Status(commute/work from home): Flexible schedule. Sometimes required to be in the office, but can work from home too.
5. Workplace: Atlanta, 30306 GA.
6. Children(public school vs. private): Public
7. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: We are used to a urban lifestyle, but it won’t hurt trying the subs, but just if necessary. (I would like to avoid spending too much in fuel, if possible).
8. Easy access to public transit, important or not?: It would be good, but not a must.
9. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood: No preferences; as far as it is not violent/insecure.

Thanks in advance!
RRL.

Last edited by baatl; 02-11-2011 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: Format
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2011, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Decatur
461 posts, read 583,271 times
Reputation: 244
Inman Middle School (http://srt3.atlantapublicschools.us/inman/site/default.asp - broken link) is an excellent middle school and in the 30306 zip code, rentals can be expensive though. Not sure what your monthly rent allowance is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2011, 01:10 PM
 
8,862 posts, read 8,926,444 times
Reputation: 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by baatl View Post
Hello,

I'm moving my family to ATL (from Buenos Aires) since I was required to work there for no less than 3 years for my company.

Our main concern is how our 12 years old kid is going to be handling his insertion in a new Educational System -even when he can communicate good enough in English, he would be a Limited English Proficient (LEP) student. Our main goal is to make things easier for him and I would like to settle in a neighborhood with a good middle school where he can gain confidence and improve his language skills until he can perform as usual.

We would like to settle near my office in NE Atlanta (30306) to avoid driving too much and high expenses in car and fuel, but we can sacrifice this if there is no good school around and we need to move further. We are looking for a family-friendly neighborhood with good middle school. We have no preference in terms of race, religion or culture; we would like to integrate with the community regardless any of these subjects.


Iím providing the information suggested in one of the sticky posts in this useful forum so you can have an idea about our situation/needs.

1. Budget: ~50k
2. House/Condo/Townhome: House is preferred; but it won't hurt to be in the other two.
3. Renting/Buying: Renting.
4. Employment Status(commute/work from home): Flexible schedule. Sometimes required to be in the office, but can work from home too.
5. Workplace: Atlanta, 30306 GA.
6. Children(public school vs. private): Public
7. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: We are used to a urban lifestyle, but it wonít hurt trying the subs, but just if necessary. (I would like to avoid spending too much in fuel, if possible).
8. Easy access to public transit, important or not?: It would be good, but not a must.
9. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood: No preferences; as far as it is not violent/insecure.

Thanks in advance!
RRL.
zipcode 30306
Zip Code 30306
Intown--Druid Hills, Morningside, Va Hi area--there are some expensive homes here and some good schools

If your budget for housing is 'around $50,000'--there is no possibility that you can live anywhere near this area.

If, by chance, you meant 'around $500,000' then you should have many options in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2011, 01:16 PM
 
8,713 posts, read 12,337,772 times
Reputation: 1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by baatl View Post
Hello,

I'm moving my family to ATL (from Buenos Aires) since I was required to work there for no less than 3 years for my company.

Our main concern is how our 12 years old kid is going to be handling his insertion in a new Educational System -even when he can communicate good enough in English, he would be a Limited English Proficient (LEP) student. Our main goal is to make things easier for him and I would like to settle in a neighborhood with a good middle school where he can gain confidence and improve his language skills until he can perform as usual.

We would like to settle near my office in NE Atlanta (30306) to avoid driving too much and high expenses in car and fuel, but we can sacrifice this if there is no good school around and we need to move further.

We are looking for a family-friendly neighborhood with good middle school. We have no preference in terms of race, religion or culture; we would like to integrate with the community regardless any of these subjects.


Iím providing the information suggested in one of the sticky posts in this useful forum so you can have an idea about our situation/needs.

1. Budget: ~50k
2. House/Condo/Townhome: House is preferred; but it won't hurt to be in the other two.
3. Renting/Buying: Renting.
4. Employment Status(commute/work from home): Flexible schedule. Sometimes required to be in the office, but can work from home too.
5. Workplace: Atlanta, 30306 GA.
6. Children(public school vs. private): Public
7. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: We are used to a urban lifestyle, but it wonít hurt trying the subs, but just if necessary. (I would like to avoid spending too much in fuel, if possible).
8. Easy access to public transit, important or not?: It would be good, but not a must.
9. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood: No preferences; as far as it is not violent/insecure.

Thanks in advance!
RRL.
What exactly do you mean by ~50K for your budget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2011, 09:21 AM
 
3 posts, read 2,342 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
What exactly do you mean by ~50K for your budget?
I meant around $50,000 a year... I can stretch our rent budget up to $1000 a month if that would put us near a good school.

If there is no way we can be near a good school with this budget, what are my chances? Leaving the city and looking in other areas outside 285 where rent is cheaper and schools are better?

Thanks everybody!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2011, 09:36 AM
 
8,862 posts, read 8,926,444 times
Reputation: 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by baatl View Post
I meant around $50,000 a year... I can stretch our rent budget up to $1000 a month if that would put us near a good school.

If there is no way we can be near a good school with this budget, what are my chances? Leaving the city and looking in other areas outside 285 where rent is cheaper and schools are better?

Thanks everybody!
Do you plan to rent?

If you need a 3/4 BDR home I would say your chances would be better further out--zipcode 30306 is located in the financial district of Atlanta--expensive.

You might want to consider NE Gwinnett--Lilburn/Parkview high school cluster. The schools are good--diverse population, etc. Even with that $1,000/mo for a home would be a challenge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2011, 09:44 AM
 
3 posts, read 2,342 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Do you plan to rent?

If you need a 3/4 BDR home I would say your chances would be better further out--zipcode 30306 is located in the financial district of Atlanta--expensive.

You might want to consider NE Gwinnett--Lilburn/Parkview high school cluster. The schools are good--diverse population, etc. Even with that $1,000/mo for a home would be a challenge.

Yes, my plan is to rent for at least a year until we get to know the city better and we can choose the right place to be... 2B is ok for us to get started...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2011, 09:52 AM
 
8,862 posts, read 8,926,444 times
Reputation: 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by baatl View Post
Yes, my plan is to rent for at least a year until we get to know the city better and we can choose the right place to be... 2B is ok for us to get started...
Here's a thread with some FYI on Lilburn/Parkview High School area>>
Lilburn

Actually you could find a smaller, older home to rent closer to the intown area--North Decatur/Toco Hill--about 5-10 miles from the 30306 area. This would be in DeKalb County, unfortunately there are currently some critical problems with the school district. The middle school is Druid Hills Middle --presently one of the better schools in the district.

A longer commute from the Lilburn area might be a better choice, jmo.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 02-13-2011 at 10:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2011, 01:04 PM
 
Location: East Cobb
2,205 posts, read 4,314,251 times
Reputation: 873
baatl, are you saying your company posting in Atlanta will provide you with an income of only about 50K per year? That's on the low side. Before or after tax? If it's before tax, really, I'd expect someone on international assignment to be making around double that, or even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2011, 01:28 PM
 
8,862 posts, read 8,926,444 times
Reputation: 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
baatl, are you saying your company posting in Atlanta will provide you with an income of only about 50K per year? That's on the low side. Before or after tax? If it's before tax, really, I'd expect someone on international assignment to be making around double that, or even more.
Was $50K his housing budget?

I thought he said he wanted to spend about $1,000/mo to rent a home.

At any rate--good schools, diverse population and around 45 minute commute to 30306 could be found in Lilburn. At one point in time it seemed like Tucker Middle School was scheduled to offer the IB program --who knows what may have happened to that.

ETA: It seems that they are in the process>>
http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/tuckerms/
Whether that would support his academic goals for his child I can't say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:26 PM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top