U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 491 times
Hello All,

I'm planning to relocate to Georgia and I am looking for the most Diverse kid friendly neighborhoods along with top schools. My son is eleven and attends private Christian school that is very diverse, more than just black and white. Also, how is the weather during winter season, that's another concern. I live up North and I can't take the cold anymore. Please let me know your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 11:40 AM

1,028 posts, read 608,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayvon View Post
Hello All,

I'm planning to relocate to Georgia and I am looking for the most Diverse kid friendly neighborhoods along with top schools. My son is eleven and attends private Christian school that is very diverse, more than just black and white. Also, how is the weather during winter season, that's another concern. I live up North and I can't take the cold anymore. Please let me know your thoughts?
We will be happy to help you but you need to start a new thread. Read the sticky. We will need you to be much more specific.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:55 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,454,690 times
Columbus,GA

Old 02-25-2013, 01:13 PM

21 posts, read 12,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Look, for a couple hundred bucks you can catch a plane to Atlanta, rent a car, and check out the Kennesaw area for yourself.

Since YX (Midwest Express) is based in Milwaukee, you can take one of their Signature Service flights down here and enjoy the large leather coach seats and warm cookies on the way. :-)

Believe me, it's a lot different actually SEEING the place than it is doing research via the internet.
I have to agree,... so many people on these boards have their own perspectives, some true, some bias, some (Or should i say Many)racial, some just guessing. Your better off flying to Ga and see first hand. That's what I'm going to do.

In my Opinion, when you talk about diverse with folks from Ga, they are limited. It's not like your asking people from NewYork city, Chicago, or LA....just saying its The South!! Segregation as its Finest.

Wish u and ur family the Best.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:06 PM

4,276 posts, read 3,678,475 times
Here's the problem: Everyone has their own idea of "diversity."

The trend on this board seems to be that if an area is more than 15% black, it counts as diverse. Of course, that is nonsense.

So, the best thing to do is ignore opinions and what people think and rely on data. The good news is, the data is readily available and the numbers don't lie!

Spend some time with this interactive map. It will definitely answer the question as to which areas are truly diverse and which ones just have a lot of black people.

Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Old 02-25-2013, 04:31 PM

This thread is from 2007. They have moved by now.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:50 PM

70 posts, read 39,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayvon View Post
Hello All,

Trayvon I would recomend Atlanta we're the top city attracting black folk from all over the country back to the South. Stay away from the northern suburbs because they are not diverse. Everywhere else you will be ok though.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:03 PM

522 posts, read 256,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mela world View Post
I have to agree,... so many people on these boards have their own perspectives, some true, some bias, some (Or should i say Many)racial, some just guessing. Your better off flying to Ga and see first hand. That's what I'm going to do.

In my Opinion, when you talk about diverse with folks from Ga, they are limited. It's not like your asking people from NewYork city, Chicago, or LA....just saying its The South!! Segregation as its Finest.

Wish u and ur family the Best.
With that kind of opinion, are you sure you want to move here with these ignorant folks you describe? In my opinion, what you just said is extremely rude, especially for someone who had to come on this forum to ask about Atlanta (meaning you don't know it well enough to make these kinds of broad statements). While Atlanta isn't perfect, I wouldn't define it or the south as "segregation at its finest". Yes, there are areas that are primarily African American, and others primarily white, but there are also a lot of areas that have a mix of both races, as well as a mix of many other races and cultures. This is just like every other city...it's not unique to Atlanta or the south. Also, in my opinion, NYC is NOT the melting pot everybody thinks it is. NYC is a city of neighborhoods, each "segregated" by culture. You don't find many people who aren't Chinese in Chinatown, who aren't Mexican or Puerto Rican in Sunset Heights, or aren't African American in Bedford-Stuyvesant. I actually took a sociology class in college that described how the Melting Pot of NYC is actually one of the most segregated cities in America, but a different kind of segregation than what one thinks of when thinking about America's history. And there, as in every other city, there are also neighborhoods that are a healthy mix of cultures and races.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:09 PM

258 posts, read 452,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAttack30314 View Post
Trayvon I would recomend Atlanta we're the top city attracting black folk from all over the country back to the South. Stay away from the northern suburbs because they are not diverse. Everywhere else you will be ok though.
I wouldn't move somewhere just because it attracts a lot of a particular race, to me that's just outright stupid, It would make better sense to move to an area that is better for you, maybe you are black but you have better opportunities in say Seattle or Boise than Atlanta, would you still move here and settle for less, I'm black and personally I wouldn't want to live in a all black or all white area, I like diversity, if I could get my home to sell in Newton Co. which is almost 50/50 leaning white over black, I would more than likely move to Gwinnett which is the most diverse county in the state if you ask me.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAttack30314 View Post
Actually they are leaving the city and moving to the suburbs. Also, Atlantas most diverse areas are north of the city. Ever hear of Buford Highway? Can we end this six year old thread now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta