U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 07:33 PM

2,114 posts, read 1,440,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinthe808 View Post
hi everyone,

i'm from cali/oregon and have been on oahu for about 4 years now. i love it here, but i also want to explore some new places before i potentially have a family/career. i'm a single, caucasian, female, in my twenties, finishing up my bachelor's degree.

i've been thinking about relocating to atlanta as it seems like an awesome place with a unique and diverse culture so different from the one here. however, i'd be moving on my own, and i don't know anyone in the whole state of georgia. anyone from hawaii in atlanta? how do you like it compared to the islands? advice from anyone else? are people from hawaii welcomed?

aloha
It's been many years since I lived in Hawaii but, I can remember it vividly. You simply can not compare the two. Other than island fever, there is little reason to leave that at your age. The islands are some of the nicest on the planet. You will find nothing like that here. Hawaii (I'm assuming you are on Oahu) is simply gorgeous. If you are an outdoors type and love to dive, sail, swim, snorkel, or hike, it doesn't get better than where you are. The other islands, as you know, are a hop, skip, and short flight away.....after being there 2 years though, I needed a break. I'm sure you must be feeling a bit of that now.

At least Atlanta will be less expensive. Nothing like what you are used to. Gas is now $3.00 a gallon so I guess in Hawaii it's probably hovering either side of 4 bucks? Food, housing, and transportation are less. It does get cooler here in the winter than you may think but, it's an easy state to commute around, Atlanta's traffic notwithstanding. There are hills/mountains to our North, open rolling terrain to the SE and history in spades. Florida is a quick jaunt as are the beaches of Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. You will not feel as much "aggression" here as you do there. It's a bit of an easier pace.

You will miss, however, the pleasant breezes on your lanai as you enjoy breakfast, 365 days a year. You will not miss having your neighbors on top of you. Hey, give it a try. If you don't like it, you can always go back. You can do much worse than Atlanta when considering your stateside move.

Best wishes on your decision
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 07:35 PM

844 posts, read 1,335,346 times
Is there a particular crowd you want to be more associated with? That is the only reason I can fathom. You're doing it wrong.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:27 PM

8,372 posts, read 6,752,310 times
I think that if more people had the attitude of 808 this country -- and the C-D web site especially -- would be a much healthier, happier place!

Old 02-17-2011, 03:00 AM

6 posts, read 4,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
Is there a particular crowd you want to be more associated with? That is the only reason I can fathom. You're doing it wrong.
doing what wrong?

Old 02-17-2011, 03:02 AM

6 posts, read 4,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I think that if more people had the attitude of 808 this country -- and the C-D web site especially -- would be a much healthier, happier place!
i agree! thank you for the feedback.

haha by 808 i thought you meant the state, not me, but thanks!

Last edited by hinthe808; 02-17-2011 at 03:03 AM.. Reason: oops
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta