U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-20-2011, 06:44 PM

326 posts, read 421,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
When people are talking about Atlanta and Georgia's main sport being college football, why is that being characterized as a bad thing? Fanaticism for college football in the south easily rivals that of the big pro teams up north. And it generates lots of tourism for our bowl games, championship games, and kickoff games, so that's a big plus for the college game; I wrote a very long post on this once. Also, the Falcon's attendance is healthy, and the Braves are middle-of-the-road.

People are saying the Steelers have great attendance and that's true, but the Pirates are terrible in attendance and performance, so it's not like Pittsburgh is some bulletproof sports town.

Atlanta is middle of the road for fan support. Not the best, not the worst. If you compare us the the storied franchises of the northeast, then yeah, we are lacking. But compared with the rest of the sunbelt, we are doing fine.
Me personally I view college as amatuer. It would be like rooting for the Gwinnett Braves instead of the pro team. Plus most college players careers are only 4 years or shorter so you don't like a Joe Montana with a long storied career. Yes I know college players have their own legacies and what not. But again, that would be like celebrating Chipper Jones tenure on the AAA team. That's just my 2 cents and I'm a southerner.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 10:00 AM

227 posts, read 265,572 times
Source: Sale of Atlanta Thrashers to True North completed - ESPN

Old 05-31-2011, 10:03 AM

227 posts, read 265,572 times
Bottomline: 11 years in Atlanta, third worst attendance in the NHL, one playoff appearance, 0 playoff wins

Old 05-31-2011, 10:19 AM

6,494 posts, read 6,609,191 times
Jeff Shultz gives a good summation of the events that led up to today:

Thrashers, Atlanta were never given a chance by NHL, Spirit | Jeff Schultz

Quote:
This isn’t about the fans or the market or certainly Gary Bettman’s fictional “covenant” with fans, which I believe he left in the same sock drawer with his conscience. It’s about greed and abandonment, plain and simple. It’s about a disingenuous ownership group, which had long lost any semblance of credibility, serving up fans swill and gruel and then wondering why the turnstiles sleep at night.

They’ll tell you they care. They don’t. They’re walking away with a fat check. While you mourn the loss of a franchise, they’re waving goodbye with one middle finger.

There are hockey teams in Tampa and San Jose and Raleigh, and I could go on. There’s still one inexplicably in Phoenix, which the NHL is floating for another year, maybe because Bettman plans to retire and open up a pawn shop there one day. Is Atlanta an inferior market to any of those cities? Or does product have something to do with it?

There was no reason to do this now. When the Phoenix-to-Winnipeg deal fell apart, the NHL (which owns the Coyotes) was out $170 million. Bettman panicked. So he crossed out Phoenix and wrote in Atlanta. But why couldn’t he have waited a year to see if another owner for the team emerged?

Old 05-31-2011, 11:05 AM

19,694 posts, read 15,432,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by society619 View Post
Could Thrashers Leave Town? - 11Alive.com | WXIA | Atlanta, GA

Could the Atlanta Thrashers end up leaving Atlanta? That's what some fans think could happen. But one season ticket holder said he's not going to let it happen while sitting down. Chris Ciovacco, a Thrashers season ticket holder, is calling on civic leaders to step up before it's too late.

Its now officially too late..

Old 05-31-2011, 11:15 AM

1,942 posts, read 2,256,432 times
Incredible article by Jeff. So true, greed greed greed.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:35 AM

6,663 posts, read 4,059,310 times
Best buys for a team to replace the Thrashers? Phoenix, after that Tampa Bay, then Nashville, believe it or not next is the New York Islanders, then Columbus, then Raleigh.

The Business Of Hockey, 2010

But if no one stepped forward for the low-priced Thrashers, it might be a while.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:39 AM

I wish Arthur Blank with all his billions could have done what he has done so far for the Falcons

Old 05-31-2011, 11:47 AM

8,190 posts, read 6,207,066 times
Maybe Atlanta should forget about NHL and try for an MLS team instead?

Old 05-31-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Maybe Atlanta should forget about NHL and try for an MLS team instead?
I agree. Much more conducive for the population base here. honestly I would rather go see those hot soccer players than hockey.

Gary Bettman though is a spineless greedy SOB. They won't be in Winnepeg for long.

Last edited by brent6969; 05-31-2011 at 12:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta