U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 05:20 PM

969 posts, read 1,665,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by society619 View Post
Just think how much Atlanta would suffer if it didn't have lower cost of living or lower taxes which is the main reason people move from other cities
Ok? Lots of people are here due to the amount of Fortune 500 companies and other major corporations, large and small, that have a presence here. People also enjoy the warmer weather while still having four seasons. They also might *gasp* just like it here.

Sorry you don't like it here anymore. A lot of people get tired of places after awhile. I personally don't want to be a "nomad" and move from place to place to keep up with my irrational thoughts because the grass is always greener. Your going to hate something about anywhere you live... if it's not something here, it'll be something else in another place that you can't stand. I used to live in NYC for a little bit - liked it at first, then got tired of it, but I still love to visit. Some people are content here, can live comfortably, enjoy big city amenities other cities in the South cannot provide, and when they want to travel to other places they have access from Hartsfield Airport which can take you anywhere you want to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironjello View Post
mik7586: huh? unless you're launching rockets, climate/topography has *nothing* to do where you put your research center. they put the test range in Florida b/c launching rockets from the equator requires less fuel, b/c you take full advantage of the earth's rotation. Sherman burned ATL to the ground, so Houston was able to develop faster & farther. that and the oil money.
***NEWS FLASH*** : LA does have a nasa center. google NASA Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena, CA. ***NEWS FLASH*** NYC is all $$$/finance. it didn't need a center. oh wait, it has Columbia University, which helped produced the US's first atomic bomb. and ATL has...JEFFERSON DAVIS!!!
haha - so ATL has a CNN only b/c of low taxes. if you watch CNN, you'll see that most of its "morning shows" are based in NYC. stocket market news? based in NYSE. Ted turner only put the "HQ" in Atlanta for lower taxes. it's like Boeing. the planes are built in Seattle, but the HQ corporate is in Chicago. why? b/c Chicago offered them tax breaks.

as for ATL CRIME, yes, i agree crime has dropped, but statistics don't lie. i'm only linking what hte AJC says. talk with them if you have beef with the stats.

as for Munich, yeah, pretty much on par with ATL. both games were going perfect until security F_uped.

Centennial Olympic Park bombing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2 ppl killed, 111 injured, shrapnel mark on olympic statues.

Munich massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
11 olympians killed.

both Munich and Atlanta were bad in security; take your poison. 11 killed or 111 injured (burns/severe injuries/light injuries/ear drums blown out/etc.)

either way,fault is on security for not being as good. there's your city for you.
I don't understand your argument. Because Houston and LA have NASA research centers, that automatically means Atlanta is too dumb for one? You don't see how DUMB that sounds? You can't have a research center everywhere! It doesn't mean anything. We obviously aren't that dumb to have the CDC and the 4th largest concentration of Fortune 500 companies in the country. They didn't all come here for "low taxes" and some were even started here. What a bunch of morons we are here!

And statistics can be skewed. The #2 crime article is not accurate. Want accurate? Look at the FBI statistics which do not place us at #2.

Listen, I have nothing to prove to you. I don't even know why I bothered responding to you in the first place. You hate it here, WE GET IT, great, leave as soon as you possibly can. I'll stay here in this horrible city with my horrible boring life. Woe is me.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:32 PM

61 posts, read 155,014 times
of course not, i mean, ATL has the Centers for Disease Control, which given the market for biotech (& jobs) should surpass aero/defense in the next decade. plus Emory's hospital. don't get so upset ATL doesn't have a nasa center. =P. it's got Coke HQ, CNN HQ, AT&T HQ, HP, all wonderful fortune 500 that bring in lots and lots of income taxes.

i'm only trying to show you the light, to my fellow londoner. Atlanta isn't that great of a city; it's decent enough to spend a few years building your rep; but don't expect anything like....LA, NYC, Barcelona, Sydney, UK, Tokyo, or Seoul, which as you said, are on a different class than ATL.

as for you mike7586, if you save enough $$ to afford some good travel (outside of continental US to say....Vancouver, London, Tokyo, those major cities), stay awhile, like 2 weeks, see how you're treated and how their infrastructure works, research their industries: what keeps the local population working? eat a local food here; then go to xyz city and eat their local food. compare. after you do this for like...20 cities, you'll be unhappy b/c you know the truth. =)

Old 02-18-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironjello View Post
of course not, i mean, ATL has the Centers for Disease Control, which given the market for biotech (& jobs) should surpass aero/defense in the next decade. plus Emory's hospital. don't get so upset ATL doesn't have a nasa center. =P. it's got Coke HQ, CNN HQ, AT&T HQ, HP, all wonderful fortune 500 that bring in lots and lots of income taxes.

i'm only trying to show you the light, to my fellow londoner. Atlanta isn't that great of a city; it's decent enough to spend a few years building your rep; but don't expect anything like....LA, NYC, Barcelona, Sydney, UK, Tokyo, or Seoul, which as you said, are on a different class than ATL.

as for you mike7586, if you happen to be educated enough to be well enough to afford some travel (outside of the US, to say....Vancouver, London, Tokyo, those major cities), stay awhile, like 2 weeks, see how you're treated and how their infrastructure works, research their industries: what keeps the local population working? eat a local food here; then go to xyz city and eat their local food. compare. after you do this for like...20 cities, you'll be unhappy b/c you know the truth. =)
1) In an earlier post I stated "Atlanta is not perfect, but it's not as horrible as you make it" and "I am not saying we don't have a crime problem, but it has decreased a lot and the article is not entirely accurate". I don't need to be shown the light and nobody needs to see the light from you. You have an overly exaggerated negative view of Atlanta. Read below about that crime report:

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/news/26908086/detail.html

2) I said I use to live in NYC (sorry but doesn't get any better than that in this country... not even lame LA can compare) and I have traveled. I still don't hate it here nor do I feel the way you do. There are some things that frustrate me, but having lived in other places (like Charlotte, NC... which Atlanta is a huge upgrade from) and having traveled, I realize there are things that will frustrate me no matter where I am. The difference is, am I just going to complain about it or be part of the solution... which is why I volunteer with the Atlanta Beltline because I think it's a great project.

3) Why would anyone expect anything like those cities? You have to live under a rock to do so. Atlanta is in the same tier as Houston (ewww, sorry but I'll take Atlanta over Houston for a number of reasons), Dallas, Miami, and DC.

Last edited by mike7586; 02-18-2011 at 05:48 PM..

Old 02-18-2011, 06:02 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,535,248 times
Its funny how people keep ignoring the real statistics posted more than once in this thread to show that the #2 ranking had to be formed by a retarded method. Is there ANYONE in the world that actually believes Orlando Florida is more dangerous than New Orleans, Baltimore, DC, Philly, Chicago or Detroit? Let use some common sense people.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:27 PM

29,410 posts, read 26,365,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I thought Atlanta actually experienced decreasing crime rates in the last several years.

It certainly feels a lot safer than it did 10-15 years ago.
Here are the actual statistics. The number of crimes and the crime rate have been dropping dramatically. This chart doesn't include 2010 but the downward trend continued.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:09 PM

3,263 posts, read 4,677,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Here are the actual statistics. The number of crimes and the crime rate have been dropping dramatically. This chart doesn't include 2010 but the downward trend continued.
Who needs numbers when you can blindly trust someone else's conclusions? Why even go through the trouble of thinking!?

We're number 2!

Old 02-18-2011, 08:12 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,124,897 times
I was burglarized 2 weeks ago. It is that bad.

A week after my bank was robbed, again.

And during Christmas, my local Lowe's was robbed at gunpoint.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:50 PM

6,562 posts, read 7,684,125 times
Ok two parts to this post... The first I just want to mention a word about these crime statistics, how this always happens, and why it shouldn't worry people so much.

The second I want to discuss the guy who has issues with Atlanta. I just want to keep the two discussions separate.

1)
It is no conspiracy or anyone against us... but here is what happens. All the FBI does is print a report of aggregate crime totals for different areas. This includes everything from states, the MSAs, to large cities and counties. The FBI doesn't actually rank or trivialize anything and warn against doing so.

Then reporter A, Reporter B, and reporter C come a long. They are looking for a good feature story. They know crime reporting is extremely relevant to society, people will be interested, the story will get published, and more people will read that magazine or newspaper.

Now these reporters aren't doing anything bad and I mostly believe they mean no bad. However, ultimately they are reporters and not true educated social science statisticians. They just take the aggregate numbers, divide by the populations, and wa-la they have a ranking to publish. They just aren't aware of how to examine or look statistical anomaly's caused by non-crime aspects of human behavior or the effects of geographic boundaries.

Here is the ultimate problem Atlanta (and a few cities in similar situations) always face.

Take 3 different cities

City A:
residential population of 100
Daytime population (jobs/workers/tourists/customers) of 300
# of generic 100

City B:
residential population of 100
Daytime population of 50
# of crimes 50

City C:
residential population of 300
Daytime population of 400
# of crimes 250

Almost all of these crime statistics take the total number of crimes and divide by the residential population.

Two issues: geographic boundaries and social behavior.
Geographic boundaries: City A compared to City C has much smaller boundaries and/or a less urban residential environment. However, it still has most the jobs and attractions for the region as does City C.

Which city really has worse crime? It isn't so easy to tell. If all the crime victims are the residential populations then the answer will City A hands down. If all of the crime victims were apart of the daytime populations, then hands down City C is worse off.

Social Behavior:

City A and B have identical residential populations. More people like to work and/or visit/shop in City A than City B. City A has more crimes total, but also has more people going in and out of it. City B has fewer crimes, but also has fewer people going in and out of it. This change in human behavior of where people go affects the rankings.

Ultimately a researchers needs to be more careful on several levels. Are you concerned with residential crime... you need to examine on crimes on -residents- and divide by the total number of -residents- (the same would be true for workers, shoppers, tourists, etc...). That will provide a clearer picture.

These issues are just starters. Research and numbers mean something, but in a complex world they have to be researched carefully cautiously.

2) ok on to part 2.

Iron Jello I have one simple question and then a statement.

First I want to make sure the history/background is correct as my family actually goes back in Atlanta for 6+ generations.

Who are you calling an "ATLer"?
Is this a particular group? Anyone who lives in Atlanta? Anyone that lives in the Atlanta metro? After I saw that term used I thought... who is an ATLer in these comments?

Secondly... it is up to you whether you like Atlanta or not, but many of your arguments were not made fairly. This is easily seen in your Atlanta-Houston comparison. The cities are similar size, similarly successful, but they do have different industries and functions in them.

I couldn't help but to notice you mention what Houston had and Atlanta did not as proof Houston was better (and you even mention their lower taxes as a reason for this). Then when someone else responds showing what Atlanta has that Houston doesn't... you immediately write it off as nothing (and then further argue only had them here because of lower taxes)

I mean I'm sorry... but the argumentation alone is bordering psychotic. You argued low taxes good for Houston and then claim low taxes was a redeeming factor in attracting certain companies in Atlanta. You ignore what one city has just to spot out what another has. I'm sorry, but this doesn't add up.

Btw, quick History Lesson about Atlanta (for you it really should be much longer). CNN is not in Atlanta because of low taxes, high taxes, or any kind of taxes. Like Coca-Cola, it is a home grown company that became a big national/international player through its own hard work, innovation, and ingenuity.

CNN was originally founded by Ted Turner. He moved to Georgia after college and helped run his father's business and started a large advertising, media, and media distribution conglomerate. First with Turner Advertising, A local television station, and then WTBS (a nation-wide "super station" that became one of the first national cable stations), since then the company started and successfully runs alot of cable stations and some alot of original programming right here in Atlanta. Atlanta also attracts alot of attention from companies in the information sector. This includes Cox Communications and all of it's subsidiaries and the Weather Channel. We also attract other types of information collection and processing groups, like Equifax.

Another Home grown success is Home Deport. It was started in and still headquartered today in Atlanta (metro). It is one of the largest retailers in the country and at times has been the largest retailer.

Another local success in the information/telecommunications is AT&T mobility. Even though, it has been bought out by AT&T, AT&T mobility is still based in Atlanta, started in Atlanta, and is the biggest player in the mobile phone/mobile data market in our country.

Other major issues are... it's key logistical infrastructure. We are one of the most geographically centralized and well connected places on the eastern part of out country. The U.S. has 3 extremely large inland freight hubs.. one which is Atlanta and the other two being Chicago and Dallas. We have one of the busiest railroad hubs, the busiest airline hub, a fairly busy trucking hub, and home to the largest logistics/distribution companies in the country, UPS.
We also have a highly connected internet/telecommunications connection hub to add to our logistics. This doesn't matter to Home internet users, who would never notice a different one way or another, but it does to larger information based companies, that need to move large amounts of data at highly competitive rates down what is the backbone on our internet infrastructure. This is one big reason why you have Equifax, Etrade, AT&T mobility, among others located here.

This doesn't even mention our regional hub activities, which has us as the headquarters for economic activity in the southeast, such as the Southern Company and Georgia-Pacific.

So, Atlanta has alot going for it that many people, like yourself, continually overlook. We haven't attracted so much growth just sitting around doing nothing and keeping taxes low. If anything countrywide we have low taxes, but in the southeast region we have slightly higher taxes. However, we also provide location and infrastructure other places don't and we still have grown to about the same size as other similar cities like Houston, Dallas, and Miami.

Our logistics, location, and economic interconnectedness has us outranking other similar size cities on the World City Index, which tries to measure those exact things in the importance of the world economy.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:41 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,624,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Exactly. FBI statistics don't lie.
You are correct but when people misuse those stats then that is a lie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or