Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 09:07 AM

461 posts, read 1,064,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_II_DMV View Post
lol @ Decatur

North Dekalb County is decent (Tucker, Chamblee, etc), but most of Decatur is not familty friendly at all.

Thereare a few historical neighborhoods in the Dec that are nice though
All of city of Decatur is family friendly, which is what LovinDecatur was referring to. There's really nothing to debate about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 01:14 AM

449 posts, read 1,170,772 times
Maybe North Decatur

Well technically Decatur is family friendly, you're right. Friendly enough to come in your house and watch after your valuables when you're not home.......

Old 03-21-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Maybe North Decatur

Well technically Decatur is family friendly, you're right. Friendly enough to come in your house and watch after your valuables when you're not home.......
Your comment leads me to believe that you are referring to parts of unincorporated Dekalb county with a Decatur address and not the city proper. City of Decatur does not have rampant crime problems as you have suggested, it is one of the safest, most walkable and family friendly areas inside the perimeter. If you are not familiar with an area, please do not make blanket statements like your comment above, there is enough misinformation floating around this forum already.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...able-city.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...hborhoods.html

Old 03-21-2011, 07:42 AM

23,299 posts, read 43,744,365 times
Quote:
lol @ Decatur

North Dekalb County is decent (Tucker, Chamblee, etc), but most of Decatur is not familty friendly at all.

Thereare a few historical neighborhoods in the Dec that are nice though
You obviously know nothing of the city of Decatur.

-Low crime rate
-Excellent schools
-Kids can walk to many activities, unlike many suburbs
-A profusion of well-tended playgrounds and parks (the one a block from my house is a zoo when the weather is good)
- A number of family festivals and activities (again, walkable for local residents) throughout the year

I've really IME seldom seen a community that put such a high priority on QOL of families as does Decatur.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:40 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,866,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrads11 View Post
This is very helpful information, as my family of 4 (5 in the fall) will be heading to the area in the next 6 months. We're looking at the Northern cities of Atlanta, don't want to get any farther North than Woodstock.....and looking from Marietta (West) to Duluth (East). Is there a significant tax and house value from Fulton to Forsyth or to the other close counties? Our top 3 right now are Roswell, Alpharetta and Marietta....but we're definitely open to suggestions.

Our priorities are schools, family friendly, activity-rich area, nice newer houses for the $$......thanks again for the help!
Despite how great City of Decatur is for QOL, it doesn't align so well with this poster's priorities. (Note, this is a me-too post by someone other than the OP).

jbrads11, what about commute?

Old 03-21-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
You obviously know nothing of the city of Decatur.

-Low crime rate
-Excellent schools
-Kids can walk to many activities, unlike many suburbs
-A profusion of well-tended playgrounds and parks (the one a block from my house is a zoo when the weather is good)
- A number of family festivals and activities (again, walkable for local residents) throughout the year

I've really IME seldom seen a community that put such a high priority on QOL of families as does Decatur.
lol I know the difference between the city of Decatur and unincorporated Dekalb.

Decatur does have nice parts, but you think the poster is gonna know the difference between the "real" city of Decatur and an area with a Decatur address.

That's like saying SW ATL is a family friendly area b/c there are areas in SW with nice communities and million dollar homes.

Plus the city of Decatur's school district is still rough and the private schools still have bad kids that were just kicked out of public school

Old 03-22-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
lol I know the difference between the city of Decatur and unincorporated Dekalb.

Decatur does have nice parts, but you think the poster is gonna know the difference between the "real" city of Decatur and an area with a Decatur address.
Yes it's called a map. City of Decatur : City Maps

Quote:
Plus the city of Decatur's school district is still rough and the private schools still have bad kids that were just kicked out of public school
Um what? How do you figure the school system is still "rough?" Please stop talking about things you don't know about.

And Rainy you are absolutely right, this wasn't a suggestion for the OP, just a response at an obviously misinformed poster.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:

That's like saying SW ATL is a family friendly area b/c there are areas in SW with nice communities and million dollar homes.

I and most everyone I know certainly know the difference. My sympathies to you if you can't figure it out.
And are you serious with that blather about the city's school system? It's one of the better public school systems in the metro. And are we really supposed to take your statement about Decatur's private schools seriously?
What a comedian.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Despite how great City of Decatur is for QOL, it doesn't align so well with this poster's priorities. (Note, this is a me-too post by someone other than the OP).

jbrads11, what about commute?
There are actually newly constructed homes in the city, particularly in the Oakhurst neighborhood.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:57 PM

Last time I checked Columbia High School and South West Dekalb were Decatur schools, not necessarily the best schools, but not the worst.

I stayed on the East side for a while, ya'll must be referring to North Decatur because I've never heard Decatur schools being some of the best in the metro.

What magical Decatur are you all referring to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta