U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 02-21-2011, 04:32 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
6,555 posts, read 6,872,876 times
Reputation: 3715

Advertisements

Your eyes are not deciveing you. Yes, the self proclaimed modern day version of Franklin Garrett is asking a question about Atlanta he does not know.

Recently Mrs. Waronxmas and I have come into the possession of a fairly large amount of plastic water bottles in our condo (about 200 of them and due to Mrs. Waronxmas' new found OCD about drinking tap water) that need to be taken care of. Environmentally conscious as I am, I'd rather not just put them in the dumpster.

Unfortunately due to my building's HOA board being almost entirely composed of a large amount of old fogeys who view recycling as some sort of hippie non-sport and the fact that my building abuts Peachtree (making curbside pick up impossible) I am in need of finding a good location to drop off the bottles so that they can be turned into playground equipment or whatever is done with them.

My usual knack of using an Internet search to find places that do this sort of thing is failing me now and I am turning to the one place I know some one might know the answer. My preference is for a recycling location ITP, preferably on the Northside, as I'd rather not drive a million miles (thus leaving a negative carbon footprint).

EDIT:

I am aware of the recycling location in East Point, but I'd rather something closer to Buckhead.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2011, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Inman Park (Atlanta, GA)
19,893 posts, read 8,190,135 times
Reputation: 10673
I take items to the DeKalb Farmer's Market but a Google result shows a location in Dunwoody.

Recycling Centers
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 05:47 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
6,555 posts, read 6,872,876 times
Reputation: 3715
So THATs what in the back area of the YDFM parking lot. I'll be there this weekend probably so that'll make it easy.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Inman Park (Atlanta, GA)
19,893 posts, read 8,190,135 times
Reputation: 10673
You are very welcome. I don't know all they types of plastics that they take - but I think they take most of them. You just separate them by their number/plastic type.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 07:27 PM
 
2,351 posts, read 3,299,905 times
Reputation: 621
I'm surprised your condo doesn't recycle. It means less garbage they have to pay (and you thru your dues) to have it hauled off. My condo recycles the basics like newspaper, plastics and glass. In a large high rise that can be a lot less garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Your eyes are not deciveing you. Yes, the self proclaimed modern day version of Franklin Garrett is asking a question about Atlanta he does not know.

Recently Mrs. Waronxmas and I have come into the possession of a fairly large amount of plastic water bottles in our condo (about 200 of them and due to Mrs. Waronxmas' new found OCD about drinking tap water) that need to be taken care of. Environmentally conscious as I am, I'd rather not just put them in the dumpster.

Unfortunately due to my building's HOA board being almost entirely composed of a large amount of old fogeys who view recycling as some sort of hippie non-sport and the fact that my building abuts Peachtree (making curbside pick up impossible) I am in need of finding a good location to drop off the bottles so that they can be turned into playground equipment or whatever is done with them.

My usual knack of using an Internet search to find places that do this sort of thing is failing me now and I am turning to the one place I know some one might know the answer. My preference is for a recycling location ITP, preferably on the Northside, as I'd rather not drive a million miles (thus leaving a negative carbon footprint).

EDIT:

I am aware of the recycling location in East Point, but I'd rather something closer to Buckhead.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 07:33 PM
 
15,009 posts, read 9,783,919 times
Reputation: 3586
How about one of the recycling dumpsters behind a nearby shopping center? If you asked the store manager they might be okay with it. I think some schools have recycling dumpsters, too.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2011, 02:32 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
6,555 posts, read 6,872,876 times
Reputation: 3715
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
I'm surprised your condo doesn't recycle. It means less garbage they have to pay (and you thru your dues) to have it hauled off. My condo recycles the basics like newspaper, plastics and glass. In a large high rise that can be a lot less garbage.
Of all of the stupid decisions my HOA makes, not recycling is the least stupid in comparison to the other nonsense they spend the dues on.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2011, 02:34 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
6,555 posts, read 6,872,876 times
Reputation: 3715
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
How about one of the recycling dumpsters behind a nearby shopping center? If you asked the store manager they might be okay with it. I think some schools have recycling dumpsters, too.
That was my first thought but as I looked into it it was easy to find a place that recycled plastic bags, paper bags, ink cartridges, and other items but not a single place that took water bottles. Where I live you'd think there would be one given how people treat drinking tap water as some mortal sin, but nada.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2011, 03:14 PM
 
2,642 posts, read 5,374,554 times
Reputation: 544
Yeah, I second YDFM...when I have a big load of recycling I take it there. They take just about anything with a number on it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2011, 04:15 PM
 
15,009 posts, read 9,783,919 times
Reputation: 3586
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
That was my first thought but as I looked into it it was easy to find a place that recycled plastic bags, paper bags, ink cartridges, and other items but not a single place that took water bottles. Where I live you'd think there would be one given how people treat drinking tap water as some mortal sin, but nada.
I'm tempted to tell you just to bring them by my place. We've got the giant blue Herbies for recycling now and they'll hold a bunch. Or you could just drive around the day before recycling pickup and find a Herbie and toss them in -- I doubt that anyone would care. As a taxpayer I'd say you have just as much right to use Solid Waste services as the next man.

A couple of years ago I heard an anti-bottled water advocate say that before long carrying a bottle of water will be regarded the same as walking around with a lighted cigarette. I don't know whether that's true but we did install a filter at our place.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top