Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 02:50 PM

13 posts, read 25,398 times

Advertisements

I recently accepted a position at a company based in downtown Atlanta. I'll be moving my wife and my two children (2 years old and 8 months old). The primary reasons we are moving out of the New York City area is that we both got sick of the commute (1hr each way) and my wife wanted to be able to stay home with the kids. With the salary bump I am getting at my new job, I think it will be manageable for my wife not to have to work. We have done a lot of research, and we have come to the conclusion that the City of Decatur seems like the best place that would provide an easy commute for me to get into downtown Atlanta, while also being a nice, safe neighborhood where my wife and kids will have a lot of stuff to do during the day.

While choosing a school district isn't an immediate concern because our children are still pretty young at this point, we are still trying to plan this out and want to settle somewhere we can send the kids to public school. I have a friend who lives in the area who told me that private schools can run up to $10k per year starting in kindergarten, so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

We'd like to rent for at least a year to find out if the City of Decatur is the right place for us. However, I haven't seen a lot of places online which have listings for the Decatur area. I'm primarily interested in properties located in the 30030 and 30033 zip codes. Is anyone aware of an online resource that lists rentals within Decatur? We've tried Craigslist and there isn't much on there.

By the way, here are my responses to the standard questions:

1. Budget (looking to spend between $1500 - $2000 per month on a rental)
2. House/Condo/Townhome? (In order of preference, house, townhome, condo)
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home): (Commute downtown)
4. Children(public school vs. private): (Would prefer public school)
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: (Urban/Suburban mix)
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? (Would like to take MARTA if possible)
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood: (Families, college educated professionals)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 03:06 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,261,642 times
You can get a real estate agent to set you up with a "gateway" that will push you information each day about new rental listings matching your search criteria as they hit the market. Of course, most rentals aren't put into the local MLS, but frequently the "best" ones are. Depending on the size house you need, you should be able to find something in your price range in your target budget.

There's currently a really gorgeous house available for rent on Lamont in Decatur (although it's listed at $2,495/mo.). There are also a few nice places in Druid Hills (30307) that are under $2,000/mo. (houses and townhomes).

Old 02-23-2011, 04:54 AM

3,698 posts, read 5,946,524 times
When looking at listings, make sure that when they say Decatur they actually mean Decatur city proper. In Georgia, the unincorporated areas around cities use the same mailing address as the city proper, so just because you see a Decatur address doesn't mean it's in Decatur. 60% of the metro doesn't live within a city.

For Decatur, my understanding is that ONLY 30030 is actually Decatur (although not the entire zip code is Decatur--you need to do your homework). Others can chime in if I am incorrect on this. If you are outside of Decatur, your kid goes to DeKalb schools (probably not what you want). FYI, Decatur is tiny.

There are areas of Atlanta proper with more rentals that could meet your criteria--consider those if you are having trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: