U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 11:24 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,286,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Totally agreed, Have to factor the Sweat Mountain poshness into the factor. I think of older 80s lower market homes up and down Trickum Road that are not much more upscale than the neighborhoods you mention back toward Canton Road when I think of Mabry. Of course you are getting close to McClesky lines when you go much further west of Trickum.

I have to remind myself of the many infill neighborhoods that have come in since my time, the half million and up homes next to neighborhoods less than half that scattered in all these feeder neighborhoods. The brother still owns a house in the subdivision directly north of Mabry and has been excited about those types of homes being built on Jamerson bringing his value up.
Hi Saintmarks,

You're slightly out of date (not surprising, of course). Trickum is the Mabry zone's western boundary. There's nothing "west of Trickum" zoned to Mabry.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 11:53 AM

15,102 posts, read 24,163,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Hi Saintmarks,

You're slightly out of date (not surprising, of course). Trickum is the Mabry zone's western boundary. There's nothing "west of Trickum" zoned to Mabry.

Yep. Trickum Road has been the boundary between McCleskey and Mabry since 1983--and now is the boundary between Kell and Lassiter (north of Shallowford Road). However, small streets on the west side of Trickum with no other outlet do attend Mabry/Lassiter. Neighborhoods on the west side of Trickum with an outlet somewhere else (think North Landing, Tremont, etc.) attend McCleskey/Kell.

The east side/areas-along-Trickum-with-no-outlet become Simpson south of Rocky Mountain Road.

See maps:

http://www.cobbk12.org/centraloffice/planning/2010-11AttendanceZones_Middle.pdf (broken link)
http://www.cobbk12.org/centraloffice/planning/2010-11AttendanceZones_High.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by aries4118; 02-24-2011 at 12:01 PM..

Old 02-24-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Totally agreed, Have to factor the Sweat Mountain poshness into the factor. I think of older 80s lower market homes up and down Trickum Road that are not much more upscale than the neighborhoods you mention back toward Canton Road when I think of Mabry. Of course you are getting close to McClesky lines when you go much further west of Trickum.

I have to remind myself of the many infill neighborhoods that have come in since my time, the half million and up homes next to neighborhoods less than half that scattered in all these feeder neighborhoods. The brother still owns a house in the subdivision directly north of Mabry and has been excited about those types of homes being built on Jamerson bringing his value up.
There are so many in-fill neighborhoods in East Cobb now. You will probably be amazed when you drive around.

In high school, I use to say East Cobb was "completed" in 1989. The in-fill phenomenon in East Cobb really took an upswing beginning in the mid-1990's. East Cobb people are always saying--"I didn't even know there was enough land there [for whatever in-fill neighborhood]!"

Old 02-24-2011, 11:28 PM

8,058 posts, read 10,957,663 times
I should remember that Trickum was the boundary as I drove a bus for Mabry back in the early 90s and Keheley all went to McKlesky and that was pretty much everything west of Trickum. But even my brother's neighborhood (Forest Chase? can't remember exactly, but between Mabry and Davis Road) was a similar neighborhood to those off of Trickum. Nice enough but not upper income mansionettes for sure.

I would say the majority of the land that has become the upper end "infill" neighborhoods came from folks who moved out to that part of Cobb in the 60s and 70s, bought 5 acres or so, put up the classic brick ranch and then sold to developers in the 90s. A couple of those size next to each other, 10 to 12 acres, lift up the ranch house on a truck and roll it out and stick a couple of cul de sacs on the property, and voila! 20 to 30 (or more) lots for $600k mansionettes!

The big John Weiland development at the southwest corner of Sandy Plains and Shallowford (Northampton?) was the last large tract for a good size subdivision in the whole area, seems that started building out in the mid 90s. The rest has had to come from the infill type development I mention above.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
The big John Weiland development at the southwest corner of Sandy Plains and Shallowford (Northampton?) was the last large tract for a good size subdivision in the whole area, seems that started building out in the mid 90s. The rest has had to come from the infill type development I mention above.
Yes, Northampton, in "northern" East Cobb, was the last large piece of land in East Cobb.

Easthampton, in "middle" East Cobb, was the next to last large piece of land in East Cobb and it was started just a few years before Northampton.

That John Wieland sure knows how to get it...!

Old 03-21-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
The east side/areas-along-Trickum-with-no-outlet become Simpson south of Rocky Mountain Road.

See maps:

http://www.cobbk12.org/centraloffice/planning/2010-11AttendanceZones_Middle.pdf (broken link)
http://www.cobbk12.org/centraloffice/planning/2010-11AttendanceZones_High.pdf (broken link)

should be "west"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta