U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2011, 09:05 PM
 
13 posts, read 22,541 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello all,

Moving to Atlanta over summer and decided on Marietta (finally!) for the schools. Narrowed my choices (finally!) to Hightower or Mabry. Any comments on the 2?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-22-2011, 09:59 PM
 
14,994 posts, read 24,016,053 times
Reputation: 5671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicki2010 View Post
Hello all,

Moving to Atlanta over summer and decided on Marietta (finally!) for the schools. Narrowed my choices (finally!) to Hightower or Mabry. Any comments on the 2?

The schools are really the same thing. Mabry is a 100% feed to Lassiter High. Hightower Trail is a 100% feed to Pope High.

The only difference is that Hightower Trail has slightly more students (960-Hightower Trail, 851-Mabry; in 2013...939-Hightower Trail, 817-Mabry Middle). You can view the school population statistics/forecasts here:

http://www.cobbk12.org/centraloffice/planning/Current_vs_2013_Middle.pdf
(look at the northeast {top-right} part of the map)


Here is some more helpful information:

http://www.cobbk12.org/centraloffice/planning/2010-11AttendanceZones_Middle.pdf
http://www.cobbk12.org/schools/feeder_patterns.aspx



Like I said above, both schools are very similar--and you can't go wrong with either one.

My recommendation: Just go with the house/neighborhood/commute you like best. Decision made.



Note: You are moving to an area known as "East Cobb" even though you will be using a Marietta address. However, depending on which house you choose in the Mabry or Hightower Trail districts, you may have a Roswell address instead.



I hope this helps some. Good Luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2011, 10:03 PM
 
Location: East Cobb
2,206 posts, read 6,272,605 times
Reputation: 918
My daughter went to Mabry and is now at Lassiter. I believe Hightower Trail feeds mostly into Pope, with a small portion going to Walton.

We've been happy with Mabry/Lassiter. We loved the previous principal at Mabry (but he's no longer there). I think the truth is that all these schools are of similar and excellent quality. You should probably just find the home and neighborhood you like best.

If your child(ren) are particularly interested in music, Mabry/Lassiter have more renowned programs. Although Walton, Pope and Lassiter are all academic powerhouses, Walton is the most competitive. This may be attractive if you have an absolute tippy-top student, but a bit of a detriment otherwise. (I've heard that some families have found Walton too much for their child).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2011, 02:05 PM
 
14,994 posts, read 24,016,053 times
Reputation: 5671
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
My daughter went to Mabry and is now at Lassiter. I believe Hightower Trail feeds mostly into Pope, with a small portion going to Walton.

We've been happy with Mabry/Lassiter. We loved the previous principal at Mabry (but he's no longer there). I think the truth is that all these schools are of similar and excellent quality. You should probably just find the home and neighborhood you like best.

If your child(ren) are particularly interested in music, Mabry/Lassiter have more renowned programs. Although Walton, Pope and Lassiter are all academic powerhouses, Walton is the most competitive. This may be attractive if you have an absolute tippy-top student, but a bit of a detriment otherwise. (I've heard that some families have found Walton too much for their child).
(See highlight above)

To clarify, Hightower Trail is now back to a 100% feed to Pope. The feeder pattern page has not yet been updated to show the change. The small Hightower Trail (and Tritt) feed to Walton had to do with a small infill development (one street) that was zoned for Tritt-Hightower Trail-Walton. Last year, this infill street (and some other areas) were wisely re-zoned to Murdock Elementary and Dodgen Middle (while staying zoned for Walton). Thus, the present 100% feed of Hightower Trail to Pope.

And for the record, Dodgen Middle is roughly 60% feed to Walton and 40% feed to Pope.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2011, 05:17 PM
 
Location: East Cobb
2,206 posts, read 6,272,605 times
Reputation: 918
Thanks aries, for the clarification. Unfortunately we earlier replied to this thread effectively simultaneously. If I'd seen your preceding post, I wouldn't have added mine, which was essentially a duplication (but a little less well informed).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2011, 05:48 PM
 
14,994 posts, read 24,016,053 times
Reputation: 5671
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Thanks aries, for the clarification. Unfortunately we earlier replied to this thread effectively simultaneously. If I'd seen your preceding post, I wouldn't have added mine, which was essentially a duplication (but a little less well informed).
It's all good, as always, Lady Rain.

We both essentially gave the OP the same advice: go with the house/neighborhood/commute he or she likes best.


Go East Cobb!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2011, 08:06 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
8,058 posts, read 10,903,460 times
Reputation: 6201
Have been in Texas for 7 years now, but what Aries and Rainy say about the two schools being on par with each other has always been true since Hightower was built in the early 90s.

Rainy and Aries, correct me if I am wrong, and this point is only marginally true, but the overall reputation of the Hightower neighborhoods would be that it is ever so slightly more upscale than Mabry neighborhoods. Both would be considered slightly down market of neighborhoods feeding into Walton, the creme de la creme of Cobb.

But this is entirely nitpicking. Its like arguing if an A you scored on a test is better at a 97 than your friends' 96 or 95.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2011, 10:43 PM
 
14,994 posts, read 24,016,053 times
Reputation: 5671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Have been in Texas for 7 years now, but what Aries and Rainy say about the two schools being on par with each other has always been true since Hightower was built in the early 90s.

Rainy and Aries, correct me if I am wrong, and this point is only marginally true, but the overall reputation of the Hightower neighborhoods would be that it is ever so slightly more upscale than Mabry neighborhoods. Both would be considered slightly down market of neighborhoods feeding into Walton, the creme de la creme of Cobb.

But this is entirely nitpicking. Its like arguing if an A you scored on a test is better at a 97 than your friends' 96 or 95.

Actually, I would say they are very equal--if anything, I would give the slightly more upscale nod to Mabry. Remember, Mabry includes all of the neighborhoods on and surrounding Sweat Mountain and its corresponding highlands and big ridges--which is the "northern" East Cobb equivalent to the Chattahoochee River in "southern" East Cobb (this is the Dickerson district, with some of the river area attending East Cobb Middle).

Dodgen would fall into their (Mabry+Hightower Trail) category as well. Simpson too. Very slight variations between all. Simpson would be the only one that is maybe slightly "down" (but not really) due to its Sprayberry feed--but the Sprayberry part of the Simpson district is a very nice and sought after area--and very upper-middle/middle class!

Dickerson is the one that takes things up market.

Hightower Trail, Dodgen, and Simpson take up the in-between lands between the Sweat Mountain Highlands and the uber-posh areas near the river. McCleskey and Daniell (and a little of Palmer) get the more middle/upper-middle class areas of "western" East Cobb.

Last edited by aries4118; 02-23-2011 at 11:51 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2011, 05:29 AM
 
13 posts, read 22,541 times
Reputation: 10
OMG!!! All these posts are great...thank you all very much...very helpful!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2011, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
8,058 posts, read 10,903,460 times
Reputation: 6201
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Actually, I would say they are very equal--if anything, I would give the slightly more upscale nod to Mabry. Remember, Mabry includes all of the neighborhoods on and surrounding Sweat Mountain and its corresponding highlands and big ridges--which is the "northern" East Cobb equivalent to the Chattahoochee River in "southern" East Cobb (this is the Dickerson district, with some of the river area attending East Cobb Middle).

Dodgen would fall into their (Mabry+Hightower Trail) category as well. Simpson too. Very slight variations between all. Simpson would be the only one that is maybe slightly "down" (but not really) due to its Sprayberry feed--but the Sprayberry part of the Simpson district is a very nice and sought after area--and very upper-middle/middle class!

Dickerson is the one that takes things up market.

Hightower Trail, Dodgen, and Simpson take up the in-between lands between the Sweat Mountain Highlands and the uber-posh areas near the river. McCleskey and Daniell (and a little of Palmer) get the more middle/upper-middle class areas of "western" East Cobb.
Totally agreed, Have to factor the Sweat Mountain poshness into the factor. I think of older 80s lower market homes up and down Trickum Road that are not much more upscale than the neighborhoods you mention back toward Canton Road when I think of Mabry. Of course you are getting close to McClesky lines when you go much further west of Trickum.

I have to remind myself of the many infill neighborhoods that have come in since my time, the half million and up homes next to neighborhoods less than half that scattered in all these feeder neighborhoods. The brother still owns a house in the subdivision directly north of Mabry and has been excited about those types of homes being built on Jamerson bringing his value up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:40 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top