U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-26-2011, 03:41 PM
 
1,666 posts, read 2,416,574 times
Reputation: 490

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Thats fine, I was speaking more on people like Mr. Cobaine thats probably one of those people that run across the street and grab their man purses when they see "sketchy" people out in the street. Then run home to make a post about it instead of saying something out in public. THOSE are the internet superheros.
Thats basically it..

 
Old 02-26-2011, 05:00 PM
 
13,596 posts, read 22,044,925 times
Reputation: 4617
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Racist.

In your projectionist dreams, my friend.
 
Old 02-26-2011, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Middletown, Ohio
1,731 posts, read 2,302,218 times
Reputation: 6489
Lightbulb Here We Have Yet Another Example...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilthyMcSpew View Post
Water fountains and street performers are not part of the answer to Atlantic Station's problems. The new owners need to develop a plan to change the demographic of the visitors, especially the nighttime and weekend crowd. Changing the mix of retailers might be a part of that, and I'm excited they are forcing the restaurants to stop this ridiculous transformation into nightclubs that attracts such a rotten crowd here.

I think the plan for new, independent restaurants and shops has the potential to attract the kind of people the businesses here need as regular customers. But something has to be done about improving the crowd that comes here. Closing Fox Sports Grill would probably be a good start. And although a movie theater seems like such a vital tenant in a development like this, it really is a huge part of the problem in attracting the kind of people that ruin the experience here. In over 2 years I've never seen one movie there because its impossible to enjoy a movie when you're surrounded by disrespectful idiots.

Maybe it would be a good idea to stop running the shuttles on weekend nights so the hood rats can't just take Marta to the station and catch the shuttle to come loiter around the park with their pants hanging down below their ass.

Eliminating the Section 8 housing in the apartments here would also help I'm sure.

I'm a resident in AS and I can tell you it was on the path to be the next Underground Atlanta. I'm very hopeful CB Richard Ellis will be successful.
Of what I had hoped this thread WOULDN'T turn into...when I last checked yesterday, this thread was alive with positive commentary and ideas on how Atlantic Station could be improved...I read and read and was greatly encouraged by all who chose to participate and post in an intelligent and upbeat manner...

Now, I see, unfortunately, that once again, those folks who seem to get an instant woody behind trying to drum up a lot of strife with a bunch of silly, stupid, high school locker-room remarks, have emerged from the pit to poison yet another promising thread with stuff that they probably, frankly, wouldn't have the moxie to say in someone's face in public...

I say this with the knowledge that I am not a resident of either Atlantic Station, or Atlanta proper...I lurk and post here often because there are posters here who, even though our idealogies are different, we still manage to have adult exchanges about politics, race, and goings-on in Atlanta proper and its' surroundings---that is, we can agree to disagree without resorting to calling names and dipping into stereotypes...

I really hope this thread doesn't get locked like the other AS thread did, and that it finds its way back to something resembling intelligent dialogue and discourse...

But I now say this...there are many successful, intelligent blacks living and working in the city of Atlanta...some are middle class, some upper class...there are also those who may not be in either of those classes, but are striving to raise themselves up, and not be painted as being part of some sort of saggy-pantsed hoodrat mob...but no matter what class they are in, I'm sorry to those of you whose nards shrink at the mere thought of being in close proximity to blacks...and I roundly condemn those blacks that act in such a way to draw all this heated rhetoric...

However, those of us with disposable income, home training, manners, and adult behavior, will continue to patronize AS, spend our money, shop, act peacefully, and intermingle with whites and whoever else is there to have a good time...so please, keep your fists-balled, angry, 'keep out the riff-raff/change the demographic/shut down the shuttles!' carping and whining to yourselves, because the reality of the situation is, you really can't do much of anything about it besides sit behind your computer screens and kick and scream and have meaningless tantrums
 
Old 02-26-2011, 05:39 PM
 
Location: 30080
2,218 posts, read 3,533,106 times
Reputation: 1664
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Of what I had hoped this thread WOULDN'T turn into...when I last checked yesterday, this thread was alive with positive commentary and ideas on how Atlantic Station could be improved...I read and read and was greatly encouraged by all who chose to participate and post in an intelligent and upbeat manner...

Now, I see, unfortunately, that once again, those folks who seem to get an instant woody behind trying to drum up a lot of strife with a bunch of silly, stupid, high school locker-room remarks, have emerged from the pit to poison yet another promising thread with stuff that they probably, frankly, wouldn't have the moxie to say in someone's face in public...

I say this with the knowledge that I am not a resident of either Atlantic Station, or Atlanta proper...I lurk and post here often because there are posters here who, even though our idealogies are different, we still manage to have adult exchanges about politics, race, and goings-on in Atlanta proper and its' surroundings---that is, we can agree to disagree without resorting to calling names and dipping into stereotypes...

I really hope this thread doesn't get locked like the other AS thread did, and that it finds its way back to something resembling intelligent dialogue and discourse...

But I now say this...there are many successful, intelligent blacks living and working in the city of Atlanta...some are middle class, some upper class...there are also those who may not be in either of those classes, but are striving to raise themselves up, and not be painted as being part of some sort of saggy-pantsed hoodrat mob...but no matter what class they are in, I'm sorry to those of you whose nards shrink at the mere thought of being in close proximity to blacks...and I roundly condemn those blacks that act in such a way to draw all this heated rhetoric...

However, those of us with disposable income, home training, manners, and adult behavior, will continue to patronize AS, spend our money, shop, act peacefully, and intermingle with whites and whoever else is there to have a good time...so please, keep your fists-balled, angry, 'keep out the riff-raff/change the demographic/shut down the shuttles!' carping and whining to yourselves, because the reality of the situation is, you really can't do much of anything about it besides sit behind your computer screens and kick and scream and have meaningless tantrums

Its always the same two or three people that turn the threads in that direction. And rather than anything being done about THOSE people they'd rather just lock threads and continue to let them post their drivel. Why, I dont know but thats the way this board works.
 
Old 02-26-2011, 05:57 PM
 
6 posts, read 6,638 times
Reputation: 24
I'll throw out a couple of other random musings about AS.

As a resident and someone who has worked in AS, there is no sense of community. That is really difficult to achieve, especially with transient, diverse populations and in modern times when it's easier to reach other through social media than it is to talk to the person waiting in line with you, but it seems like there has been very little effort to reach out to the residents and workers in AS both by the AS owners and the businesses in AS. If I'm just another customer to you, then you're just another business to me.

Two things that have actually been good in this regard are the A card and the tenants' events held by the office buildings. The A card was a positive step and is still really useful, but all it is is a discount coupon to stores/restaurants - there's no actual concern about whether you actually live/work where they have their business. The tenants' events put on by one (or more than one?) of the buildings in AS were a lot of fun and got people interacting, but they were only once a year. More events like this for residents/workers (with perhaps a bring-a-friend option) might help.

The attempt to reach out to those that live, work, and play in AS through social media is a good step. It amazed me that there was really no good place to go for AS information, but hopefully that will change for the better. Make it easy for me to find out what's going on and to voice my concerns/questions, and I'll feel more like there's a central voice for AS.
 
Old 02-26-2011, 06:51 PM
 
Location: East Side of ATL
4,369 posts, read 6,039,933 times
Reputation: 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Its always the same two or three people that turn the threads in that direction. And rather than anything being done about THOSE people they'd rather just lock threads and continue to let them post their drivel. Why, I dont know but thats the way this board works.
Agreed

Then again, you don't want them to be banned and come back under another name again....
 
Old 02-26-2011, 08:27 PM
 
29,386 posts, read 26,339,390 times
Reputation: 10281
I think I'll run down there right now and see what's going on.
 
Old 02-26-2011, 08:44 PM
 
3,129 posts, read 5,310,730 times
Reputation: 1588
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Oh please. No one wants it to be a retirement home and you know it. People don't want to be shot. It's really a very simple concept. You could see that if it wasn't for your racial inferiority complex.
Unlike you I've actually stepped outside of 285, the GA border and our countries borders. A/S is diverse, its asshats trying to make it seem that at night it turns into a place where people smoke drugs, sell drugs, shoot people nightly where its completely lawless due to black people. Its utterly pathetic.

This thread is about improving A/S, not blaming what you perceive to be the problem b/c of what the AJC tells you. I was down there last weekend, what about you? I've shopped at the Dillards and DSW and eaten at pretty much every eatery there. It is a wonderful spot for people it just needs a little fine tuning (or a lot).

There is still A LOT of potential for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonH_AS View Post
I'll throw out a couple of other random musings about AS.

As a resident and someone who has worked in AS, there is no sense of community. That is really difficult to achieve, especially with transient, diverse populations and in modern times when it's easier to reach other through social media than it is to talk to the person waiting in line with you, but it seems like there has been very little effort to reach out to the residents and workers in AS both by the AS owners and the businesses in AS. If I'm just another customer to you, then you're just another business to me.

Two things that have actually been good in this regard are the A card and the tenants' events held by the office buildings. The A card was a positive step and is still really useful, but all it is is a discount coupon to stores/restaurants - there's no actual concern about whether you actually live/work where they have their business. The tenants' events put on by one (or more than one?) of the buildings in AS were a lot of fun and got people interacting, but they were only once a year. More events like this for residents/workers (with perhaps a bring-a-friend option) might help.

The attempt to reach out to those that live, work, and play in AS through social media is a good step. It amazed me that there was really no good place to go for AS information, but hopefully that will change for the better. Make it easy for me to find out what's going on and to voice my concerns/questions, and I'll feel more like there's a central voice for AS.
Thanks for sharing. It was somewhere I looked to live at and I would still recommend it.

Where were these same people when there were house invasions in precious Lenox Rd and Brookhaven?
 
Old 02-26-2011, 09:50 PM
 
864 posts, read 889,392 times
Reputation: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I think I'll run down there right now and see what's going on.

You won't see anything but normal people doing their thing like I did last night. I don't know where people see thugs and hooligans like BringBackCobain would have you think are running wild down there.
 
Old 02-26-2011, 11:24 PM
 
29,386 posts, read 26,339,390 times
Reputation: 10281
Well, I checked it out for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:56 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top