U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 05:41 AM

969 posts, read 1,621,673 times

Advertisements

When I said bookstore, I didn't mean a Borders or Barnes & Noble... I meant something smaller like Joseph Beth or something local.

About the "better college" comment... BringBackCobain is saying they are stupid and should have went to a better college if they think expanding the shuttle is a good idea. The shuttle is not really the problem and neither is MARTA access. The problem are the restaurants that stay open late and attract the night crowd... because AS is fine during the day, but at night on weekends it's a different story and MARTA doesn't run past midnight or 1am (I don't know how long the shuttle goes till) and these places stay open until 2. Having been there at night before, a lot of people drive and they cruise around with loud music and after they drive and park, loiter and be obnoxious.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:25 AM

2,642 posts, read 7,235,715 times
I REALLY like the way this is going and I hope the lot of you are going to that forum and putting in your ideas. My husband, son, and I frequent AS a lot for the theater, which I think should stay. But we NEVER patronize any of the other shops, other than IKEA. There used to be a PJ's Coffee across from the theater, which is a chain out of New Orleans. We'd go there to get a beer or a coffee before a movie. But they closed, which was a shame.

Someone mentioned the Disney-like feel...that's exactly how it always seemed and what put me off of AS as a place to go for food/entertainment, other than the theater. The whole idea of AS is contrived as an urban live/work/play. Anything contrived starts out with a lack of character or "soul", but it can be overcome it's resources. I felt like AS would just sort of limp along and eventually decline because it's resources were so uninspired and generic. The move they're making, however, is VERY VERY promising with regards to making AS actually part of Atlanta's neighborhood system.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:43 AM

906 posts, read 1,440,537 times
If those on this forum want to weigh in with Mark Toro and the developers, follow their facebook page here: Atlantic Station | Facebook

Apparently they've been posting a "What We Heard" series, which summarizes the community feedback on how to improve Atlantic Station.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:27 AM

3,129 posts, read 5,141,528 times
Have these people ever visited a city outside of GA? Its puzzling to me how something so great could be so clueless.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:31 AM

533 posts, read 1,522,109 times
I read the whatnowatlanta website and am glad they are taking a lot of those suggestions to mind. I think Atlantic Station could be a great place to live and play (not really sure how they added the work thing, unless they expected the employees as BB&T and Wells Fargo to live there), as long as it is done right. I would love a place with multiple bars that we could walk to. That is something that Atlanta is doesnt have a lot of (midtown has that, but its mostly clubs, and Virginia Highlands also has that, and its doing very well). You are right a lot of us younger folks have tons of money to burn and do it every weekend. We just do it other places because AS has no draw. No bars/pubs, the restaurants are not unique, and overpriced for what they offer. I have eaten at CPK-chain, Strip-food is mediocre at best, as is the case with almost all of H2S restaurants, Rosa- Same thing, Copelands- Ditto, Grape which is fantastic- but not something you would do regularly, and Illy, but it is almost impossible to find a seat at night. Add all that up and include that the demographics suck at night, and you can see why it is not doing great. And no I have no problems with black people. My problem is with 16-21 year olds with jeans hanging down to their knees, loud, cursing, individuals that are just loitering. That is mainly due to the movie theater and unfortunately all theaters in mall like areas have this problem. Mathman, the problem with Ikea is that it is not connected to AS, a lot people shop there, but dont stick around the rest of AS which is the goal. The same goes with target. The main problem is they are both separated from AC unlike Dillards which is not a big draw. Randy it went downhill because of a number of reasons including the condo construction taking a year longer than anticipated causing all the people that put down offers to back out. Add into that that they started selling around the time that economy crashed and so became overpriced since the sellers decided not to lower the price thinking people would buy anyway due to the uniqueness of the area and you can see why almost none of the condos sold and why the demo started changing for the worse and became a downward spiral. Shopwise I would agree, they need more regional draw shops like Ikea, and Target (cant think of anymore right now). I do like that they have a lot of the same shops as Lenox, as I live in midtown and it is a lot easier to drive to AS then to Lenox to go shopping. But they need shops that are higher end, but not too high end, because that wont draw me in. And my demographic- Asian- 30 years old, is the most likely to stay late for dinner and drinks. I love Guess, American Eagle, Banana Republic, etc. How about a J Crew, Brooks Brothers, Polo Ralph Lauren. An apple store would just kill it, have you ever seen the crowds at the one at Lenox? Maybe sports stores- Dicks or something like that, addidas, puma, etc.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:43 AM

533 posts, read 1,522,109 times
I forgot to mention the lofts. They are beautiful and for the prices they are going for now 100K-200K they are a steal. But there are a number of problems that I can see ( I have never toured them, just seen pics). Unless the windows are reinforced for sound, it seems like it would be very loud with the people and traffic right beneath you. That sucks when you are trying to sleep! Second, there is no community loft resources- AKA a gym, or pool. Now some people would actually see this as a plus so there is no condo fee (or it is less), esp with LA fitness across the street. 3rd, a lot of people have dogs, and there is no secured, private area for loft owners to take their dogs to pee and poop. My gf doesnt want to go downstairs in her pajamas at night to take the dog to do their business (where exactly do you take them in that area?) as hundreds of people are walking past her, esp at 2 am where crime might be an issue.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:49 AM

7,113 posts, read 8,116,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
The unique thing about Oxford was that you could buy newspapers and magazines from around the world. A smaller-scaled bookstore/world newstand concept might work very well in AC (yes, some people still buy books/mags) - and again, adding a cyber cafe type thing in the same building would make it more modern.
Oxford folded remember? The internet has made the other side of the world a click a way. We are entering a new paradigm. Even the cyber cafe model with free wi-fi doesn't work as people buy a cup of coffee and sip it for a few hours.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:28 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,939,095 times
^The Element Condo was burned down by arson which delayed its opening and the softening economy caused a lot of people to walk on their deposits. Beyond that building and The Atlantic which wasn't completed until '09, Atlantic Station actually sold pretty well.

The other buildings were all more or less sold out to people that paid big premiums. Either they were extremely optimistic or were taking advantage of easy financing w/ the goal of speculating on continuing to increase. Twelve actually had to have a lottery to sell units and people were paying close to an avg of almost $400/sqft during the peak. Without that, it's unlikely Novare would have embarked on the Atlantic given its $200M cost. The condo prices collapsed not because the people that showed up after dark on weekends...it was the fact was you paid $300k for a studio apt in a shoddily built building on a loan that would adjust up at any moment to a payment you couldn't come close to affording. I remember the AJC article of the 26 yr old realtor that spent 800k on the 2bdr penthouse in Twelve. Units in that area were bid up more than almost anywhere in Atlanta making it the quickest to fall as the full inventory of the building boom all around Atlanta appeared just as buyers willing/able to drop $400/sqft disappeared.

If you bill the place as a live/work/play area in the heart of Atlanta, the target demographic aren't old south segregationists. Sure lots of people didn't like the crowds of non-residents that showed up but that's the case of any neighborhood in Atlanta w/ a party district or shopping. Do I want to go for a walk in the morning only to step outside and find the corner of my building smells of vomit and urine? I think the entire place was built on overly hyped numbers from the types of people that would buy in to the rents the landlords could charge the retail spots. Most mom/pop locally owned businesses can't swing 10k/mon in rent and the big brand names don't want to pay that kind of money for unimpressive demographics which is why you wind up in the middle w/ some poor restaurant concepts w/ deep pockets and middling retail.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:00 PM

394 posts, read 550,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
They need some water features - fountains, etc. A LARGE fountain as a centerpiece somewhere. Many of the greatest areas in the world have large, many times ornate, fountains in their gathering spots.
I've always thought that a huge, elegant Savannah style fountain should have gone exactly where the Millennium Gate arch is.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:10 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,253,707 times
One thing I just want to add to the discussion that I discussed one time on another forum is the residential area to the west. There is a noticeable lack of "neighborhood retail." Things that are not meant to draw people from outside, but serve the people who live there. Things like a laundromat, a small coffee shop, pizza place, or a hole in the wall bar near Mecaslin St.

One thing I want to spot out about bars/clubs. There is a difference between a late night bar/club that attracts people to the area and a small hole in the wall for locals at the end of the week or a day to hang out. If they want to attract young, affluent people to the residential areas in the long-run after fixing the problem of AS being too much of a regional draw at night... they might want to consider things that make the area more livable for residents in ways that won't draw others. A bar doesn't have to be a bad thing, but as we see it can be given how it is built and how it operates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta