Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:14 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,402,953 times

Advertisements

So let me get this straight, if I wear chains or a hat im a thug? I dont get down with the whole sagging thing but thats stupid as hell to label anyone a thug because of that. But then again what should I expect from this person. Gold teeth makes people thugs now? Well damn, thats pretty interesting since I know quite a few 30+ people with them that have no criminal history and good jobs.

On the flip side thats like me saying I consider white people that wear the holy jeans, cut off shorts, wranglers, the chains from their wallets to their pants, hats with fishing hooks, etc to be white trash, rednecks, hillbillies, etc.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:07 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
If you're actually a buppie, then you should know exactly know what they look like. Aspiring criminals and wanna-be thugs. Pants below the waist, doo-rag, gold teeth, flashy hat, wife beater, chains. Can't speak English.
I know the stereotype you are talking about and have seen it. However, I absolutely did not see any unruly behavior at AS last Saturday night. Yes, there were plenty of baggy pants. But who cares as long folks aren't being rude or inconsiderate? I got a few glares that to me felt a bit hostile but I just marked it up to me sticking my ugly mug into a place where I didn't fit in. Nobody said anything unpleasant at all.

Quote:
The last time I was at AS was in 2007 to see a movie, and these idiots were screaming in the theater, talking on the phone, playing music, running around.
Movies may be a special situation. I remember going to Lenox a few times during its latter days and there was a lot of noise and commotion during the movie. There were people talking on cell phones and some carried on conversations at normal speaking volume. There were also folks who would stand up and talk loudly to the characters on the screen and a certain amount of profanity was used. I discussed this with a dear friend and longtime co-worker who said it was simply a cultural thing.

While that's not my preferred way of seeing a movie, how can I force my cultural values down other people's throats?

Old 02-28-2011, 12:20 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,530,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
If you're actually a buppie, then you should know exactly know what they look like. Aspiring criminals and wanna-be thugs. Pants below the waist, doo-rag, gold teeth, flashy hat, wife beater, chains. Can't speak English. And they don't scare me. They are annoying and have no respect for anything or anyone. The last time I was at AS was in 2007 to see a movie, and these idiots were screaming in the theater, talking on the phone, playing music, running around. Then we get outside and packs of them block the sidewalk so no one can get by and are still screaming. Seriously, it wouldnt be so bad if it was one or two and they were quiet, but twelve of them, all screaming? No thanks. If I wanted to deal with that B.S., I would go to Underground. F*ck AS. That place blows.
My goodness you make it sound like a lawless country. HIDE YOUR KIDS, HIDE YOUR WIFE THEY RAPING EVERYBODY OUT HERE.

Get real.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:20 PM

6 posts, read 7,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
AS doesn't have an monopoly on this kind of activity on the weekend.
Although this is true, it doesn't mean that other places aren't better. There is significantly less obnoxious behavior at the Midtown Arts Cinema than at Regal at AS. This is enough to prevent me from watching any movies in AS.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:42 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,112,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I know the stereotype you are talking about and have seen it. However, I absolutely did not see any unruly behavior at AS last Saturday night. Yes, there were plenty of baggy pants. But who cares as long folks aren't being rude or inconsiderate? I got a few glares that to me felt a bit hostile but I just marked it up to me sticking my ugly mug into a place where I didn't fit in. Nobody said anything unpleasant at all.

Movies may be a special situation. I remember going to Lenox a few times during its latter days and there was a lot of noise and commotion during the movie. There were people talking on cell phones and some carried on conversations at normal speaking volume. There were also folks who would stand up and talk loudly to the characters on the screen and a certain amount of profanity was used. I discussed this with a dear friend and longtime co-worker who said it was simply a cultural thing.

While that's not my preferred way of seeing a movie, how can I force my cultural values down other people's throats?

See I differ from you because "hostile stares" are not exactly the environment I want to be in, especially if I'm one color and not too large (or a woman) and the hostile stares are directed at me or my party.

Now I know OysterFest is a ~80-90% white event, ok? BUT, it's two days of thousands of drunk partiers and I have to hand it to the crowd and to crowd enforcement that I saw lots of people throwing away their trash, no fights whatsoever even though the alcohol was flowing, no hostile glares, no people that appeared even slightly intimidating, and I'm white and I ended up swing dancing with a black girl by the end of it on Saturday. It was quite fun. This is a large outdoor party with a mix of people and lots of alcohol. Any number of things could have gone wrong, but nada. zip. Everyone I went with lives in Midtown and everyone I met there lived in Midtown or surrounding neighborhoods. A girl I met there was an attorney for Alston & Bird and we even talked a little bit of business. It was that kind of crowd.

I would not necessarily trust the AS weekend night crowd to be as docile as the large crowd at Oyster Fest, and their appearances and past performances give me those doubts. I stereotype, along with 99% of people (whether we like to admit it or not). In your own words (brownhornet), I would classify at least most people who wear "holy jeans, cut off shorts, wranglers, the chains from their wallets to their pants, hats with fishing hooks, etc to be white trash, rednecks, hillbillies" just like I do, admittedly, classify people with sagging pants, chains, gold teeth etc thuggish. And for the life me I can't figure out why many of their lady friends obviously spend lots of time and money trying to beautify themselves in whatever way they see fit and their male counterparts just look like slobs. So yes, stereotypically to me those are thugs.

Anyway, I would love to see events like Oysterfest carried out on a routine basis at Atlantic Station, and a diverse crowd is *great*. I still prefer to be in crowds of people that share at least a good portion of my own cultural values, but aren't we all similar that way? I don't think I share any cultural values with some of the folks that show up at AS at night on the weekends. I avoid Opera and most crowded clubs for the same reason, but they are in more designated nightlife districts than AS. I share lots of cultural values with Midtown/intown residents, and many current revelers of AS are not Midtown/intown residents. I wish that AS would cater more to the residents nearby than to nighttime partiers from other parts of town. Obviously, this goes for retail as well. Switch it up from bland mall to hip, urban commercial district (and by urban I don't mean "Lids" and Footlocker, though maybe if there is a market for that for residents within 3 miles of the place then sure).

Old 02-28-2011, 01:58 PM

864 posts, read 1,122,861 times
1. There is no so called monolithic "black" culture that causes all black people to act a fool in movie theaters.
2. There aren't no thugs running AS like people want to believe so get used to seeing black people becuase this is Atlanta.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:12 PM

864 posts, read 1,122,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
See I differ from you because "hostile stares" are not exactly the environment I want to be in, especially if I'm one color and not too large (or a woman) and the hostile stares are directed at me or my party.

Now I know OysterFest is a ~80-90% white event, ok? BUT, it's two days of thousands of drunk partiers and I have to hand it to the crowd and to crowd enforcement that I saw lots of people throwing away their trash, no fights whatsoever even though the alcohol was flowing, no hostile glares, no people that appeared even slightly intimidating, and I'm white and I ended up swing dancing with a black girl by the end of it on Saturday. It was quite fun. This is a large outdoor party with a mix of people and lots of alcohol. Any number of things could have gone wrong, but nada. zip. Everyone I went with lives in Midtown and everyone I met there lived in Midtown or surrounding neighborhoods. A girl I met there was an attorney for Alston & Bird and we even talked a little bit of business. It was that kind of crowd.

I would not necessarily trust the AS weekend night crowd to be as docile as the large crowd at Oyster Fest, and their appearances and past performances give me those doubts. I stereotype, along with 99% of people (whether we like to admit it or not). In your own words (brownhornet), I would classify at least most people who wear "holy jeans, cut off shorts, wranglers, the chains from their wallets to their pants, hats with fishing hooks, etc to be white trash, rednecks, hillbillies" just like I do, admittedly, classify people with sagging pants, chains, gold teeth etc thuggish. And for the life me I can't figure out why many of their lady friends obviously spend lots of time and money trying to beautify themselves in whatever way they see fit and their male counterparts just look like slobs. So yes, stereotypically to me those are thugs.

Anyway, I would love to see events like Oysterfest carried out on a routine basis at Atlantic Station, and a diverse crowd is *great*. I still prefer to be in crowds of people that share at least a good portion of my own cultural values, but aren't we all similar that way? I don't think I share any cultural values with some of the folks that show up at AS at night on the weekends. I avoid Opera and most crowded clubs for the same reason, but they are in more designated nightlife districts than AS. I share lots of cultural values with Midtown/intown residents, and many current revelers of AS are not Midtown/intown residents. I wish that AS would cater more to the residents nearby than to nighttime partiers from other parts of town. Obviously, this goes for retail as well. Switch it up from bland mall to hip, urban commercial district (and by urban I don't mean "Lids" and Footlocker, though maybe if there is a market for that for residents within 3 miles of the place then sure).
All black people aren't thugs or share some monolithic culture. We are individuals with different tastes, opinions, values and dress just like white people.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:14 PM

969 posts, read 1,958,395 times
Regardless of what anyone thinks or sees, there is clearly a problem with Atlantic Station if the new management company notices it and wants to change the experience for all people for the better.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:15 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,705,570 times
jsimms3, give it a rest already.

Everyone knows you are bias against black people because of the incident that happened to you in the MARTA station. Not saying, you are wrong in feeling that way but stop beating around the bush.

Quote:
1. There is no so called monolithic "black" culture that causes all black people to act a fool in movie theaters.
Exactly. Give me a damn break. Its just ignorant people. Nothing to do with black culture. I've never felt the urge to act a fool in the movies. Come on now...

Old 02-28-2011, 02:22 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Everyone I went with lives in Midtown and everyone I met there lived in Midtown or surrounding neighborhoods.

... I still prefer to be in crowds of people that share at least a good portion of my own cultural values, but aren't we all similar that way? I don't think I share any cultural values with some of the folks that show up at AS at night on the weekends. I avoid Opera and most crowded clubs for the same reason, but they are in more designated nightlife districts than AS. I share lots of cultural values with Midtown/intown residents, and many current revelers of AS are not Midtown/intown residents. I wish that AS would cater more to the residents nearby than to nighttime partiers from other parts of town.

Well, it seems to me you are more or less suggesting that retail and entertainment should cater to local residents. Where does that leave people who don't have the same partying and shopping opportunities where they live? If they can't come to your neighborhood, are they just SOL?

Unless I am mistaken, in the U.S. neighborhoods don't "belong" to the residents any more than they do to the next guy. If it's a public space, anybody can party there whether they share your cultural values or not.

Which reminds me. I'm thinking about setting up a mini tractor pull and chuckwagon cookoff at Atlantic Station. It'll be perfect if they'll get those big tents out of my way.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta