U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 08:23 PM

24 posts, read 48,711 times
Default How's the tap/drinking water here?

I'm curious to know what others think of the tap/drinking water in regards to quality/safety here in Atlanta - I'm living near the Clairmont/Buford Highway area if that has any significance. I haven't purchased any "testing kits" to confirm or god forbid, "detect anything".

Apart from bottled or filtered (i.e. brita/pur), how many of you all drink water straight from your home tap (i.e. kitchen/bathroom)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 08:45 PM

2,113 posts, read 3,108,637 times
I drink tap water from my kitchen sink all day every day. It tastes fine to me and I have never had any problems. In fact, if there are safety concerns, they are minimal and drinking the tap water is probably a great way to build up that immune system If you don't like the taste, realize that all waters taste oddly different and that it will taste completely normal to you after a couple weeks of steady drinking.

Now if you live in an older home with copper pipes that need to be replaced (God forbid that be the case), then I wouldn't drink the tap water. That would be because of your pipes and not a function of the water.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:43 AM
VJP

551 posts, read 808,042 times
The watershed management department of your municipality/county publishes yearly drinking water reports.

That said, I find the water taste to be particularly gross, so I pass it through a filter in the fridge or a brita, works just fine.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:01 AM

3,130 posts, read 2,943,105 times
Clayton County actually has some of the best water.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:10 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,535,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirscrubsalot View Post
I'm curious to know what others think of the tap/drinking water in regards to quality/safety here in Atlanta - I'm living near the Clairmont/Buford Highway area if that has any significance. I haven't purchased any "testing kits" to confirm or god forbid, "detect anything".

Apart from bottled or filtered (i.e. brita/pur), how many of you all drink water straight from your home tap (i.e. kitchen/bathroom)?
I live in the area--and can't say how good or bad the water may be. We've been drinking it for years.

IIRC, the agency that is in charge of water is located on Clairmont Rd near the VA.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:42 PM

6,647 posts, read 20,724,030 times
Grade it for yourself with this information-
http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/u...df/atlanta.pdf
Granted, it's a few years old but should give a "state of the water" for the time period.

Personally, I think Fulton County water is some of the best. Has little if any "taste" or after taste. Is quite neutral- neither too hard or too soft. I think that has a lot to do with the Piedmont Aquifer;
Piedmont aquifer

Of course as this precious commodity becomes more scarce, we'll have to rely more on reclamation and desalinization than ground water. And I sure that won't taste the same.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:25 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,506,224 times
allegedly it's great but always upsets my system....

tastes like tap water. no particular strong taste like other markets though

Old 02-26-2011, 07:32 PM

2,315 posts, read 3,183,627 times
When we moved here (City of Atlanta) I thought the water tasted terrible but using a filter through our fridge fixes the problem and the water is great.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:24 PM

308 posts, read 421,990 times
NO HUMAN BEING LIVING IN AMERICA SHOULD EVER EVER DRINK TAP WATER !!!!

GA fluoridates its water, not to mention it has chlorine in it ! please research fluoride in tap water and when you finish research chlorine in tap water.

and for gods sake !! DO NOT DRINK TAP WATER IF YOU LIVE IN AMERICA !!

Last edited by League54; 03-02-2011 at 08:09 PM..

Old 03-02-2011, 07:43 PM

397 posts, read 404,132 times
I find it a bit chewy with a nice city chlorine taste. Delightful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta