Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 01:05 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
SoNo is the only one I know of, and to my understanding the name is contrived; nobody called it that until someone decided that is what it should be called.

I think they should keep the SoNo name until the shelter finally closes (or scales down), then change the name to South Midtown or something and rebrand the neighborhood. On those tourist signs that have arrows indicating attractions, seeing "SoNo District" alongside The Fox, Midtown, Centennial Olympic Park, etc, is frankly a little bit embarrassing and bewildering. I can think of easily a dozen attractions more worthy of being on a sign than SoNo.
The fact that they had to put "SoNo District" on those signs just makes it obvious that it was contrived. If they wanted it to at least appear organic, it would have just said "SoNo".

Personally, I liked its former name, Bedford-Pine, but SoNo won't be that bad as long as it catches on.

And South Midtown wouldn't really be accurate, because don't Midtowners insist that this is Downtown? Maybe North Downtown would be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 01:25 PM

747 posts, read 1,544,440 times
SoBu = South Buckhead

Old 02-27-2011, 01:27 PM

859 posts, read 2,120,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
The fact that they had to put "SoNo District" on those signs just makes it obvious that it was contrived. If they wanted it to at least appear organic, it would have just said "SoNo".

Personally, I liked its former name, Bedford-Pine, but SoNo won't be that bad as long as it catches on.

And South Midtown wouldn't really be accurate, because don't Midtowners insist that this is Downtown? Maybe North Downtown would be better.
Just curious, seeing as though I wasn't born and raised in Atlanta, but what are the official or unofficial boundaries of midtown/downtown? I always thought that the 75/85 overpass separated Downtown from Midtown and subsequently the 85 overpass separated midtown from buckhead.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:32 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
Just curious, seeing as though I wasn't born and raised in Atlanta, but what are the official or unofficial boundaries of midtown/downtown? I always thought that the 75/85 overpass separated Downtown from Midtown and subsequently the 85 overpass separated midtown from buckhead.
Thats a common problem. When people look at a map the interstate is always a huge thick line that looks like it would be a separation barrier and the idea sometimes trickles down to some people. People forget before the freeway came in there was a local neighborhood without clearcut boundaries. But... there is something to that as well.

Historically, I would argue that area, midtown, and north ave had different builds/feel early on. What we call the heart of Midtown today was... waay up there and was mostly just houses. Downtown was considerbly more built, but a considerable amount of investment was pulled north from the cross roads with Ponce De Leon (US78). That is why you have the Fox Theater there. There was denser hotels and apartments in the area, including the Biltmore that moved there.

Modern day... I think people think of Midtown being further north near Colony Square and there is access from 75 and 85 without having to merge on to the congested connector (this is why the area attracted so much investment in the first place)

North Ave/Ponce continued to be a place that gets alot of accessibility to the eastern suburbs (Decatur/Central Dekalb/Gwinnett) via US 78. It is why Coke, Bellsouth, and NationsBank originally located there.

To me the areas have a few distinctly different motivators for locating there.

South of North Avenue is kind of like a no man's land. It is much closer to Downtown than Colony Square, but it is bisected by a wide freeway which changes the demeanor and character from one side to another.

Political boundaries of TADs are interesting. South of North Ave is apart of the East Downtown TAD, except the Bank of America Building and the Emory hospital complex, which is a large space.

ADA - Atlanta Development Authority - Eastside
http://www.midtownalliance.org/Maps/MID_Midtown_Map.pdf

I just think it is kind of telling that both TADs lay some claim to the space south of North Ave.

As far the original comment with us just trying to sound like NYC....
Hehe, sorry... we get those types of things from transplants all the time.

I even sort of understand with SoNo given that it is a rather new term that was branded on the area.

However, for the most part I think it has much less to do with trying to sound like a particular city and has more to do with historical trends in road names and the way to name an older neighborhood based on the road names. NYC did it, we did it, and many other major cities did it. It isn't and never strictly was a NYC thing. SoHo just happens to be a famous neighborhood from NYC. (Ironically it is positioned closer to the financial district (heart of downtown), but between downtown and midtown...just like SoNo is.)

Old 02-27-2011, 02:40 PM

Thanks for the info cwkimbro

Old 02-27-2011, 02:44 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,801 times
I've always considered SoNo downtown. I know that Central Atlanta Progress claims it as well:
http://www.atlantadowntown.com/_file...t-compiled.pdf
Also, I agree with everyone, I think that SoNo sounds awfully contrived. And since when has Atlanta had an uptown?

Old 02-27-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
I've always considered SoNo downtown. I know that Central Atlanta Progress claims it as well:
http://www.atlantadowntown.com/_file...t-compiled.pdf
Also, I agree with everyone, I think that SoNo sounds awfully contrived. And since when has Atlanta had an uptown?
Here's interesting story about what people consider downtown/midtown: I remember just a few weeks ago listening to an ad for Opera Nightclub saying it was "downtown's hottest club" WHAT?! I thought I heard wrong b/c that's stretching it juuust a bit..lol

Old 02-27-2011, 03:18 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Here's interesting story about what people consider downtown/midtown: I remember just a few weeks ago listening to an ad for Opera Nightclub saying it was "downtown's hottest club" WHAT?! I thought I heard wrong b/c that's stretching it juuust a bit..lol
Kind of sound's like an out of town developer or ad representative got a whole of it.... If it has tall buildings... It is downtown. Kind of the same problem we have explaining our skyline to out of towners.

About the Uptown comment....

It would never make it as a neighborhood name for these places, but structurally I have always thought of Buckhead as being Atlanta's uptown.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:26 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
The dividing line between Downtown and Midtown is North Avenue.

The dividing line between Midtown and Buckhead is the Brookwood interchange.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:47 PM

747 posts, read 1,544,440 times
John Dewberry wanted to make the "Uptown" moniker takeoff as a way to market his Peachtree Pointe development at Peachtree and Beverly Rd. There was an AJC article about it, but I couldn't locate it. I did, however, find this ABC article from 2005; Dewberry was wanting to put a new MARTA rail station at his development that would have been called the "Uptown" station. If I'm not mistaken, aren't there banners on the streetlights in that area with that say Uptown?

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/s...19/story7.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta