U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Should I move to Marietta GA or Arlington VA?
Marietta GA 31 44.93%
Arlington VA 38 55.07%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2011, 09:11 AM

4,033 posts, read 4,801,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
You can get a $2049 a month housing allowance from the government? Holy cow!!

To be fair that's in Arlington VA not Marietta. A three bedroom for $2000 are only found in a handful of neighborhoods and apartment buildings in Arlington. I've already advised in another thread that my neighborhood is one of the few places with duplexes for $2000.

If one is trying to live near a metro station (DC equivalent of a MARTA station) then forget it. I've seen 3 bedrooms go for $3200 with 4 adults piling into said 3 bedroom with someone sleeping in the dining room. Housing is expensive here something that (my fellow) Georgians don't always appreciate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I bet military personnel don't even get that much for off base housing up there.
If they're stationed up here in the DC area they probably do. Again $2K is not a lot of money for 3 bedroom. A 3 bedroom rental in Arlington is usually going to be closer to $2500 versus $2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
considering the posters name, the low post count, and the topic of the post, i'd say this is a bait/shock post.
Calm down. There's nothing shocking about section 8 or trying very hard (and not finding) a $2000 3 bedroom in Arlington. No one in Cobb county is getting $2000 for a 3 bedroom on section 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecuresident View Post
I would say look at Va, I doubt that anyone in East Cobb would accept section 8. The reason Walton is such a good school is that the property values in that area are very high.
I don't see the problem with section 8 its better than housing projects (concentrated poverty is just bad for all concerned). Section 8 usually benefits the landlord because they have a steady and almost guaranteed rent check coming in. Although for this particular situation I agree that VA would probably be better.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 09:14 AM

13,747 posts, read 8,133,220 times
Wow. What's the upper limit on how much the government will give you?

Makes me wonder why I've been beating my brains out all these years.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:

Its based on cost of living. The government in particular gives out benefits and pays salaries based on COL. So the upper limit varies by city. So I would imagine it would be higher in San Francisco but not much since the DC area is one of the most expensive places to live in the country.

Again $2K for a 3 bedroom is soooooo not a lot of money. I don't know how much my roommate's total rent is (I'm subletting) but the last house I lived in Arlington just went on the market for $2050 and before that I lived in a 2 bedroom + den in the further out suburbs for $1750 or $1800 (I've always sublet and don't ask a lot of questions about the total rent). I've been trying to get a one bedroom myself for a while but all I can afford is $1000 and that only gets you fairly crappy places unless you can find a basement (like where I live now but still have roommates though).

Old 03-01-2011, 09:34 AM

4,091 posts, read 2,409,442 times
Quote:

Man, no kidding... That seems really huge. I understand government subsidized housing payments, but that's enough to pay a $200 - 300k mortgage...

Old 03-01-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Man, no kidding... That seems really huge. I understand government subsidized housing payments, but that's enough to pay a $200 - 300k mortgage...
Yeah that's in the Arlington though not Marietta. A $200K house in Arlington would be a complete dump. You can get a very small older duplex for $300K though.

So I think the biggest difference that one will find between Marietta and Arlington is the cost of housing.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:04 PM

7,652 posts, read 9,262,393 times
I live in Marietta, but would rather live in Arlington, VA. We considered NOVA originally when we started our planning in late 2006. At that time, the home prices were MUCH higher in VA, and the housing stock was much more limited in the areas with good schools.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:15 PM

4,688 posts, read 3,059,517 times
I hate Va. Traffic on 95 in NORVA is horrible on SaturDAY everyday during the summer and every Sunday Morning in the summer. It's expensive, horrible taxes, etc

Old 03-01-2011, 02:13 PM

864 posts, read 327,822 times
I would rather live in D.C. too but not for that premium you pay for it. Unless I'm making at least a certain amount a year it would not be worth it.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
I hate Va. Traffic on 95 in NORVA is horrible on SaturDAY everyday during the summer and every Sunday Morning in the summer. It's expensive, horrible taxes, etc
Actually Virginia is pretty good when it comes to keeping taxes low. Haven't really noticed a big difference between VA and GA.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
I would rather live in D.C. too but not for that premium you pay for it. Unless I'm making at least a certain amount a year it would not be worth it.
Well I like it here. So of course I voted for Arlington. Its expensive that's for darn sure but I think the quality of life is high up here as well. So I say its worth it but one has to do what's best for them not what's best for Terrence. But it sounds like VA would be the better choice for the OP based on the information that she's given. Although I'm thinking Fairfax county is going to be a better and cheaper jurisdiction than Arlington county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta