Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I move to Marietta GA or Arlington VA?
Marietta GA 31 44.93%
Arlington VA 38 55.07%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 03:49 PM

6 posts, read 39,083 times

Advertisements

Hi Im a 28 yo female currently living in Morgantown West Virginia and I have my HUD/Section 8 Housing Voucher. I live with my 3 yo daughter and 18yo sister whos currently a senior. My lease is up in December and Ive contacted Arlington VA Housing Authority and theyll absorb me for a 3 bedroom there but the maximum theyll pay for a 3 bedroom is $2049. Arlington has 3 of the best high schools in VA and since I moved to WV from Washington DC, all of my family and friends reside in Prince Georges County MD. However, I dont want to move to PG County bc the best schools in Maryland are in Montgomery County and theyre billing $1974, and thats more than twice as much as WV will be willing to pay so thats out. DC is also out since theyre billing $2049. Now the problem with Arlington is that I cannot find a 3 bedroom house for less than $2049. I cant even find a 3 bedroom apartment for less than $2049. Any help with finding a 3 bedroom in Arlington?

So now although I only know 2 people in GA, none of which live in Marietta, Im thinking of moving to the Walton High School district. I know the number to HUD in Marietta, but since I cant get anyone on the phone, does anyone know what the payout is for a 3 bedroom OR a reliable HUD contact number for Marietta? Also, what other schools are good in Marietta, I heard Walton was the best. Depending on my voucher payout limits, I was looking for a 3-4 bedroom 3 level detached home with a small yard. My daughter is going to be starting kindergarten soon so I want this move to have some sort of permanency. Also my sister is graduating from high school in May and shes shown an interest in going to college for Fashion as well as getting her cosmetology license. I know that one of the best (if not the best) design schools is located in Atlanta, Savannah College of Art and Design. Im currently attending Westwood College Online taking up Graphic Design and Multimedia. So a few of my questions are:

Should I move to Arlington VA or East Cobb Marietta GA?
Where should I look or who should I contact for a 3 bedroom house in either area? (preferably the Walton school district for Marietta)
What schools are recommended in Marietta? (nearly all the schools in Arlington are top ranked)
Realistically during rush hour, how long is the commute to Atlanta?
What is the job outlook in Marietta or Atlanta for Graphic or Web Designers or Android mobile application development? (I graduate from Westwood in March and then Im getting my certificate in mobile programming)
If price was no issue then what colleges would you recommend for someone interested in Fashion?

All responses are greatly appreciated! Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 04:07 PM

864 posts, read 1,123,662 times
We really don't need anymore section 8 people here without jobs. There is hardly any jobs here so please go to Arlington as there are plenty of jobs there for you.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:32 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Chantrel, people here are kind of fed up with Section 8 housing requests, so don't expect a lot of help. I do know that the cost of living here would be much better for you than in VA. My friend's husband just got transferred to that area, and they have been really discouraged on house-hunting trips, because the prices are so much higher.

Your sister might be eligible for the HOPE scholarship in GA, but I'm not sure how long it takes to establish residency to be able to take advantage of it.

I have no problem with those who want to move here to better their lives, and the East Cobb, North Fulton areas have excellent schools, so you really can't go wrong in either area if you are fortunate enough to find a place with your Sect. 8.

The big issue is jobs. They are scarce right now, and it's not a good idea to make the move without one, unless you have plenty of money saved up.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:55 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,139 times
The Arlington County website says that the Section 8 waiting list is closed, and that once it's opened, the wait can be as long a five years, and that preference is given to people who already live and/or work in Arlington. So how are they promising you over $2000 a month?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:15 PM

6 posts, read 39,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
The Arlington County website says that the Section 8 waiting list is closed, and that once it's opened, the wait can be as long a five years, and that preference is given to people who already live and/or work in Arlington. So how are they promising you over $2000 a month?
Because I already have my voucher and a 3 bedroom house in West Virginia. If you have a voucher you would know the term is called porting your voucher to another state and as long as that county is absorbing (the county you move to will pay your rent) and not billing (the county you're moving from has to pay your rent), then you're good to go. Im not trying to get a voucher or get on a waiting list. I need help with finding a 3 bedroom in Arlington for less than $2049. Ive already spoken to the HUD office in Arlington and theyve assured me theyre absorbing but that other people have had a hard time finding housing in Arlington. Thanks.

Last edited by chantrel007; 02-28-2011 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 02-28-2011, 08:22 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chantrel007 View Post
Hi Im a 28 yo female currently living in Morgantown West Virginia and I have my HUD/Section 8 Housing Voucher. I live with my 3 yo daughter and 18yo sister whos currently a senior. My lease is up in December and Ive contacted Arlington VA Housing Authority and theyll absorb me for a 3 bedroom there but the maximum theyll pay for a 3 bedroom is $2049.
You can get a $2049 a month housing allowance from the government? Holy cow!!

Old 02-28-2011, 08:31 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
You can get a $2049 a month housing allowance from the government? Holy cow!!

I bet military personnel don't even get that much for off base housing up there.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:16 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,984 times
considering the posters name, the low post count, and the topic of the post, i'd say this is a bait/shock post.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:42 AM

562 posts, read 1,790,754 times
I would say look at Va, I doubt that anyone in East Cobb would accept section 8. The reason Walton is such a good school is that the property values in that area are very high.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:59 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
Move to Va. We have enough section 8 people here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta