Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 06:49 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagwagon113 View Post
Tony I admire your enthusiasm. However the wnba doesnt count. The 4 major sports are what matters. That said, the Braves have some high points. Freeman and Kimbrel should have bright careers and are only rookies. Uggla is locked up in a ling term contract and the bullpen is strong. If the owners are serious though they need to acquire some more firepower to compete with teams like the Phils, Yankees, etc. One thing that made me proud however was I went to a Mets/Braves game here in NY and Braves fans were out in force. Funny side fact: Cleveland and Minnesota have it bad also. I know people from both areas. The Only championship Atlanta won was against Cleveland. Also the Falcons knocked off the Vikings in 98. The Twins did get us in 91 though which is considered one of the best World Series of all time.
The wnba doesn't count because they r women?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 07:08 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Yeah its not Atlanta's fault, but it does make a city look bad. At lease the Red Sox did it too. This was a very bizarre situation to have two teams do the exact same thing. Anyway its just as well, Philly is going to slaughter St Louis.
I actually hope St. Louis wins... I PHREAK'N HATE THE PHILLIES!!!

And yes, AT LEAST Boston did it too... I agree to that

Old 09-30-2011, 07:17 AM

I hear people's point about Cleveland, however, even with the lenght of how long it's been since the city has seen a championship, how long it's been for the Indians and Browns. The Fact still remains that they can at least take pride in having had SEVERAL championships in their history. Believe it or not, at one time the Browns were amazing. They won the championship like 5 years straight. They won every season from 1946-1950. Then still appeared in every championship until 1955! So they were in EVERY SINGLE Football championship game from 1946-1955... Atlanta fans can't even take pride in a history like that. And let's not even bring up that the Rams were once a championship winner in Cleveland. And the Cleveland Bulldogs... At least they have history

Old 09-30-2011, 07:20 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
The wnba doesn't count because they r women?
It doesn't count because 95% of the world doesn't give a crap about it lol

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

Old 09-30-2011, 07:35 AM

I think true Atlanta fans should just realize and come to grips with our sports history. Embrace it and move forward. Let it be our motivating factor to why we Atlantans support our teams harder than we ever have before (because let's face it, we aren't really well known for supporting our teams either. In Atlanta, you can count on the stadium being half filled with (some) born & (many) raised Atlantans rooting for the other team). Let's embrace it and change all of that. Boston embraced it's "Curse of the Babe," and supported their Red Sox like crazy! Chicago embraces it's "Curse of the Goat," and lives & dies by the Cubs. Cleveland embraces that it's pretty much "Mudville" and they wait for the day that Mighty Casey won't strike out... But we turn a blind eye to what's been our history. We are in denial as we show up to Falcons games dressed in Black & Yellow rooting for the opponent Steelers (and have never been to Pittsburgh), or show up to Braves games dressed in pin-stripes because the Yankees came to town... We continuously let the stadium pack more than half full of Blue & Orange Florida Gators fans when the UGA vs Florida game is played in Georgia, and it sickens me! It's time for all that to end!!! Embrace it and say "THIS IS ATLANTA!!! OUR HOUSE!!!" TIME FOR ATLANTA TO RISE UP!!!

Old 09-30-2011, 07:37 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
It doesn't count because 95% of the world doesn't give a crap about it lol

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D
I give a crap if they win lol

Old 09-30-2011, 07:41 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,897,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
I hear people's point about Cleveland, however, even with the lenght of how long it's been since the city has seen a championship, how long it's been for the Indians and Browns. The Fact still remains that they can at least take pride in having had SEVERAL championships in their history. Believe it or not, at one time the Browns were amazing. They won the championship like 5 years straight. They won every season from 1946-1950. Then still appeared in every championship until 1955! So they were in EVERY SINGLE Football championship game from 1946-1955... Atlanta fans can't even take pride in a history like that. And let's not even bring up that the Rams were once a championship winner in Cleveland. And the Cleveland Bulldogs... At least they have history
Yeah, but Atlanta didn't even have major pro sports in the time period you are discussing. I think the Falcons, Hawks and Braves all came in the mid-1960's. It was easier for teams to win championships in the first half of the 1900's because there were only like 8-16 teams per league, not the 30-32 that there are in each league today.

Also the Braves winning the World Series in 1994 means more to me (b/c I saw it) than a theoretical several championships from the 1940's or 50's before many of today's fans were even alive.

Atlanta definitely has a poor record in pro sports, but I don't think they are quite the worst b/c at least the majority of the city's fans were alive to see a championship. Several cities cannot say the same. There are a few cities who have never won a championship, and there are several more whose only championships came decades and decades ago.

Looking forward, how many championships (say in the next 10 years) would it take for the city to shake its reputation as a bad pro sports town? If the Braves and the Falcons both won one, would that do it? Or does the city need a critical mass of like five or ten championships (across the major sports) to improve its image?

Old 09-30-2011, 08:33 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,965 times
^^^ We are not the worst, 2nd worst

Old 09-30-2011, 09:18 AM

227 posts, read 494,678 times
Seriously....Who celebrates a WNBA title? I mean really

Old 09-30-2011, 09:50 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by society619 View Post
Seriously....Who celebrates a WNBA title? I mean really
Don't hate on those 8 people that do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta