U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-03-2011, 11:59 AM

2,039 posts, read 2,663,118 times

Advertisements

I've finally had enough of them adding crap to our bill that we don't even have. I don't understand why a simple basic cable and internet service has to be this much trouble.

Does anyone AT&T and are you happy with them? I'm kind of leery of them because they can't seem to keep from dropping cell calls, but maybe their cable service is different. I'm still dumbfounded that we only have two cable providers in a town this large.

Also if you have an ISP that you really like please advise. We'd prefer to bundle, but are willing to go with an individual provider if necessary.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 12:10 PM

295 posts, read 419,679 times
Try UVerse if it's available for you. I ditched Comcast nearly two years ago, and haven't looked back. We have DVR with 300 channels and hi-speed internet with Wifi.

I don't have AT&T cell coverage, so perhaps I'm less jaded on them.

The only drawback to me is the introductory/special pricing....only lasts for 6 months or so, before you get jacked to regular pricing. "Oh, just call back and we give you the current deals at that time" is what I was told when I signed up. Trouble is, you have to threaten to quit their service before they agree to shave off a few bucks/mo. They finally wore me down, as I got tired of calling every 6 months to save another five to ten bucks a month.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:30 PM

1,366 posts, read 1,410,111 times
Man Comcast used to charge me an arm and a leg for internet. I don't miss them one bit. I've heard UVerse is good though I don't use that. Also, I've heard Clear wireless is actually very good. My neighbor uses them and her 4G internet is very fast on her PC, about the same speed as comcast but for less money (I think she pays around $45/month).

I suspect AT&T drops a lot of calls because there are soooo many iPhone users in the Atlanta area and the network is just overloaded. When I was in Seattle last December on business, my iPhone worked great (as did my co-worker's who normally has worse problems than I do with it). Then when I was in St. Louis last week, it worked great again. I'm waiting for the iPhone to be released on verizon to see how much AT&T's service improves here because I know a lot of iPhone users are going to flock to them and free up network capacity on my end.

San Francisco and New York were the only two cities I've been to where my service was just as bad as here but those two areas are notorious for bad coverage due to network overload.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:38 PM

264 posts, read 251,464 times
I like my AT&T U-Verse service... quick and reliable compared to Charter (are they and Comcast the same company?).

Old 03-03-2011, 01:42 PM
VJP

555 posts, read 844,267 times
Luck of the draw. I've had no problems with comcast and my requests to be told of special offers went through every time I called. The last time I called I was offered a deal, but only if I signed a contract - I'm assume they are trying to forecast subscriber counts for wall street and avoid risking losing customers. We'll see if the service goes to hell once a bunch of people get on contracts.

As a side note - the iphone is already out on the VZ network.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:01 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,137,488 times
Comcast is great for speed (12+ megs).
But pricing??? They lie!
Told us we would pay a special price of 39.99 for the 1st 2 years, then
after that it would be 59.99 for the life of the service.
This is for phone and internet.
We get our first bill, call to make sure the deal is what they said it was, and NOPE!
After having a cable wire installed through our front yard, changing our service to them,
getting all set up, we come to find out that that is not the deal. It goes up to 89.99
after two years. We have been fighting them for 2 weeks now.
Even DEMANDED the transcripts of the phone call where my husband and the salesperson made the deal. They are sending the transcripts, and we are in the process of working things out.
My husband even tracked down the office where the girl (sales woman) made the deal with him when calling the 1-800 #. Took all day to find it based on her name, and the fact that she was based in Daytona.
We'll see. They're not being very nice about it. Meanwhile, THEY quoted us that price, and that is the ONLY reason why we agreed to use them!!!! They've told us we can go to someone else if we're not happy.
My husband is like, "I'm not changing again, paying installation fees with the new company, etc."
They said, "Well what do you want Sir?"
He says, "I want what I was told I was going to get!!!"

Old 03-03-2011, 03:37 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,175,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I've finally had enough of them adding crap to our bill that we don't even have. I don't understand why a simple basic cable and internet service has to be this much trouble.

Does anyone AT&T and are you happy with them? I'm kind of leery of them because they can't seem to keep from dropping cell calls, but maybe their cable service is different. I'm still dumbfounded that we only have two cable providers in a town this large.

Also if you have an ISP that you really like please advise. We'd prefer to bundle, but are willing to go with an individual provider if necessary.
U-verse is the way to go. I am leaving Directtv for them later this month.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:54 PM

19,902 posts, read 8,194,301 times
I left Dish after 10 years when uVerse became available in my neighborhood. The DVR is incredible! I can program shows via my computer and not have to scroll through a TV screen. You can record up to 4 shows at a time. Since I am coming from a satellite dish, I don't have to worry about bad weather interrupting service.

So far, I have not been disappointed and I have had the service for a full year now. I also have it bundled with VIOP and Internet services. The VOIP sometimes has an annoying buzz on it but the Internet service has operated without a flaw.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:59 PM

876 posts, read 1,175,220 times
For me it is a choice of tweedle-dum or tweedle-dee telco / cable provider.

All of the above have major issues with customer service, I try to get the cheapest "high speed" or broadband internet I can. I don't even have a TV, so no dealing with cable / satellite. I don't care about speed overall as I do not download that many files. I watch a few videos on YouTube and that is about it for me.

AT&T has cheaper internet service than Comcast, but it is DSL and slower speed, given that it is cheaper, probably the better route to go for Internet only.

Maybe in time with more wireless, we may have more choices, but right now for me it is either ADSL or cable modem.

Roslyn Holcomb wrote:
Quote:
I don't understand why a simple basic cable and internet service has to be this much trouble.
As US consumers we do not have many choices with our telcos or cable providers. We are stuck with crappy service because they have a near monopoly in practically all areas of the US. They are near monopoloistic and care more about their self-interests than those of their customers. / end of rant

Last edited by SW30303; 03-03-2011 at 04:08 PM..

Old 03-03-2011, 04:03 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,116,097 times
George, what kinda of speeds are you getting with their internet?

I didn't even know uverse was available. Its not available where I am. I thought most of the metro was ineligible...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta