Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 09:17 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,096,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRJay View Post
The "Buckhood" remark was not made by real estate agents but by visitors, who were describing the bar scene at the Ritz-Carlton. As for the condos, agents were very circumspect and merely describing the demographics of certain buildings, which, last time I checked, was not illegal.

Again, I'm not talking about Buckhead in general, but about the Lenox area, around the MARTA stations, that's all. And not even if it's integrated, which is of course fine. Just whether the changes from pre-MARTA I see at Lenox Square proper have spilled over into the immediate vicinity.

By the way, thanks for the leads.
Lenox Mall is stable, and it has been for a long time. Were you around when MARTA came in 1984? I was not born yet. But I do remember when MARTA came to Perimeter in 1995 and it certainly changed, overnight. It has also reached a stable equilibrium though.

The bar at Ritz-Carlton has been closed, as has the entire dining room. As for the condos around MARTA stations, there actually aren't very many besides Sovereign and 3630 Peachtree, and you have to have a lot of money to buy at either one. In any case, the apartments around there would transition before the condos, and that hasn't happened.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:57 PM

31,997 posts, read 36,572,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_II_DMV View Post
They let it be known that they weren't going to have "us" take over Buckhead.

You can shoot it out in East Atl, SW, or on the south side all day, but don't mess around in "their" beloved Buckhead
Gee, why would you want to "take over" any neighborhood and "shoot it out" in any part of the city? Especially a part of town where people make their homes, raise their families and try to make a living?

Old 03-21-2011, 10:15 PM

449 posts, read 1,172,171 times
I didn't say anyone attempted to "take over" Buckhead, I said that was the mentality of the residents and certain city officials.

They felt that the night life presence in Buckhead was uncomfortable and saw the 1 shooting incident as a threat.

It's not a coincidence that the Buckhead bar district was shut down not long after that high profile incident.

The police were purposely sent out to harass individuals and deter certain people from coming back.

Basically "Don't bring that nonsense to this part of town" when most of us were just friendly patrons looking to have a good time

Old 03-23-2011, 02:20 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,734,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
In defense of neil0311, it's not ignorant logic. He didn't say all black people are thugs and from a broken home. The reality is the majority of crimes in Atlanta are committed by young uneducated/poor blacks. How can you sit here and deny it? It's not racism - it's fact. Until more black people realize there is a problem, nothing will change. Sorry but you can't hide behind the racism argument forever and you can't take things so personally - nobody was talking about you or all black people.
You really just made the point they were making.You say you cant hide behind the racism argument forever yet you seem to not make the distinction that black people are awae its a problem already.Why do you think so many have fled the city for the suburbs when the are able to?
Its a fact that many people associate "ghetto and thug" with being black.No one is saying its not the reality of who is committing the majority of the crimes.Just like redneck and racist should not be the same associated with white people.If I see several people in Cowboy hats and boots most of the time they are white
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta