Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 01:40 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,998,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Reading in-between lines...or better said--"code language."
Sometimes the truth hurts. That doesn't make it less true.

I personally don't care about "black" or "white" when it comes to crime.

The bit that bothers me is that cultures exist in this country (and city) which seem to believe that certain types of criminal activities are okay, or even something to be admired.

I believe that sort of culture is a problem for the rest of society regardless of the genetic nature of the people who subscribe to those values.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:03 AM

37 posts, read 148,140 times
It seems many people here are opining without first-hand knowledge. I'm not talking about Buckhead in general, which is still lovely in the neighborhoods, excepting all the hideous McMansions. I'm referring to the area around Lenox. According to real estate agents, many of the high-rise condos there -- including those not in foreclosure -- have "gone dark," and recent visitors refer to "Buckhood".

I'm absolutely OK with Lenox as an area to shop and visit, but before investing in a condo, I need a frank appraisal of the area 24/7. I'd be most grateful for input from anyone with firsthand knowledge of this.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:22 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,096,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRJay View Post
It seems many people here are opining without first-hand knowledge. I'm not talking about Buckhead in general, which is still lovely in the neighborhoods, excepting all the hideous McMansions. I'm referring to the area around Lenox. According to real estate agents, many of the high-rise condos there -- including those not in foreclosure -- have "gone dark," and recent visitors refer to "Buckhood".

I'm absolutely OK with Lenox as an area to shop and visit, but before investing in a condo, I need a frank appraisal of the area 24/7. I'd be most grateful for input from anyone with firsthand knowledge of this.
This is the first I am hearing of this, and I live in Buckhead. Which condo towers exactly? I have spent time in Sovereign and Terminus and only saw white people. The Gramercy (new apartment building) is also white. Frankly, I don't believe it, due to my own experiences in the area in addition to the fact that real estate agents aren't allowed to make those types of remarks anyway.

In fact, the only place (residence or otherwise) in the area that seems to attract a diverse crowd is the Grape. But as far as residents, Buckhead is still one of the whitest areas in the metro. Even the cheap apartments by Peachtree Pres. are white.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:50 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,263,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
I was unaware that there's a whole separate white Atlanta from the rest of the city? Wow, just how many different Atlanta's are there? What other secret Atlanta societies am I missing...?
NEWS FLASH: Buckhead is MOSTLY white and Riverdale is MOSTLY black and Norcross/Chamblee is MOSTLY Hispanic/Asian.

Anytime some one points out FACTS some PC'er on here gets their panties in bunch.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
I'm young and black and I'm educated and not a thug nor was raised in
A broken home. I must be special by your ignorant logic.
You referring to ANYONE as ignorant is truly laughable.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Reading in-between lines...or better said--"code language."

Hiding behind what is explicitly said or "just the facts" is too easy--and really a guise for something else.

"I didn't say that..." "I never said that..." "That was never said..." "Well, it's the facts..."

Um, no.

A good read:

Stephanie Grace, racist Harvard emailer.

Enjoy!
I know its coming!! Let the countdown begin, 5.4.3.2.1 It's RACISM!!!

Old 03-21-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I honestly wouldn't be taken aback, though, if someone referred to "black Atlanta." If somebody said, "Cascade is the center of of black Atlanta" I don't think it would raise too many eyebrows. Although if they said, "Virginia-Highland is the center of black Atlanta" most of us would probably say, "What are you talking about?"

Those terms do sound awkward but those of us who live here most likely get the drift.
Well said. I used hang at Paschal brothers' La Carrousel, not to slum but to listen to the likes of Ramsey Lewis and feel the good vibes. James Brown, in a white button-down, played hard at our high school Jr-Sr. As a kid I dined with Hank Ballard at the home of Connie Dinkler, of the eponymous hotel, who managed him. Maynard was my neighbor when I lived on North Avenue. I brought a black friend from the Metropolitan Opera to a Standard Club fête and was asked leave. The Jewish Standard Club, segregated! That was an eye-opener. The point is, part of growing up is learning that regardless the banners we carry, we still want a place where, at the end of the day, we can kick back and feel comfortable. And you're right, it works both ways.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRJay View Post

I was told by a Realtor friend of mine that the majority of minorities are RENTING in the apartment buildings in the area and very few are buying. Even the foreclosed units. Not to say that blacks and other minorities arent buying some of the units but there is NOT some max exodus for ANY race in regards to buying into Buckhead. The economy and the housing market is far to unstable for any real movement for any race other than the uber-rich.

I am not sure how strong the condo's are in regards to sub-letting but MANY will not let you rent your place out as a part of the condo association dues. If you do they will promplty serve you with a hefty fine or injunction to appear before the condo board.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
This is the first I am hearing of this, and I live in Buckhead. Which condo towers exactly? I have spent time in Sovereign and Terminus and only saw white people. The Gramercy (new apartment building) is also white. Frankly, I don't believe it, due to my own experiences in the area in addition to the fact that real estate agents aren't allowed to make those types of remarks anyway.

In fact, the only place (residence or otherwise) in the area that seems to attract a diverse crowd is the Grape. But as far as residents, Buckhead is still one of the whitest areas in the metro. Even the cheap apartments by Peachtree Pres. are white.
The "Buckhood" remark was not made by real estate agents but by visitors, who were describing the bar scene at the Ritz-Carlton. As for the condos, agents were very circumspect and merely describing the demographics of certain buildings, which, last time I checked, was not illegal.

Again, I'm not talking about Buckhead in general, but about the Lenox area, around the MARTA stations, that's all. And not even if it's integrated, which is of course fine. Just whether the changes from pre-MARTA I see at Lenox Square proper have spilled over into the immediate vicinity.

By the way, thanks for the leads.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:03 PM

449 posts, read 1,172,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
I don't know how long ago you left Atlanta, but the old Buckhead Village nightlife district has been shut down and completely torn down. I'm assuming that's what you are referring to? Buckhead is a lot quieter these days. You really won't have anything to worry about in that area.
Right, ATL wasn't having that after the BMF shooting of P Diddy's old bodyguard in early '04.

I went to the Buckhead bar district that following summer and the police weren't playing. Locking people up and bringing out the patty wagons at 2 a.m. on the dot.

They let it be known that they weren't going to have "us" take over Buckhead.

You can shoot it out in East Atl, SW, or on the south side all day, but don't mess around in "their" beloved Buckhead
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta