Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 02:10 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,132,994 times

Advertisements

Just want to say that I think this thread is cool because of the interest in and tolerance for other cultures. All too often people seem to fear/dislike/have no interest in people who are different culturally.

I'm not sure what attracted the first Koreans here, but now that it is so Korean-friendly, I can see the attraction.

If only I were better at learning a foreign language! Off to see if I can learn at least one Korean word a day....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 02:39 AM

929 posts, read 1,903,405 times
Quote:
106 posts, read 26,811 times

I think this is exactly the type of diversity that will set metro ATL apart from competition like Charlotte, Orlando, Birmingham, Dallas, Nashville, etc.

Progress.....I like it!
I dunno, the Dallas-Fort Worth area has an Asian population that's a bit larger than that in the Atlanta metro area.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:48 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban5 View Post
I think this is exactly the type of diversity that will set metro ATL apart from competition like Charlotte, Orlando, Birmingham, Dallas, Nashville, etc.

Progress.....I like it!
Absolutely! It's exciting to see how truly diverse the Atlanta area is becoming.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:42 AM

504 posts, read 1,545,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangomonster View Post
... If only I were better at learning a foreign language! Off to see if I can learn at least one Korean word a day....

If you have an iPhone or iPad you can get this app:
Full Version ($10)
WordPower - Korean for iPhone - Free iPhone software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Free Version
Learn Korean Vocabulary - Free WordPower for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

A new word is added every day at midnight.
I think it also is made for Android.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:01 AM

957 posts, read 3,356,970 times

And we've got the BEST Korea Town in the country after LA. Not only is Atlanta becoming the NEW Asian MECCA of the South.... We are now officially the Korean magnet of the South.

Now where can i buy a nice Samsung Flat screen TV, Refrigerater, Washer & Dryer and a Hyundai Genesis for my new gorgeous house in Atlanta, bought at an unbelievably low price.

Last edited by mrpanda; 05-20-2011 at 09:33 AM..

Old 01-03-2012, 08:53 PM

957 posts, read 3,356,970 times
It has been almost a year since i started this thread 3 months before moving to Atlanta.

I knew there were a lot of Koreans in Johns Creek before moving to this area... but just in a short 6 months of living here..... The "K" Fever here is starting to get out of control.

Here are the changes i'm seeing the past six months since i moved out there.

1. When i first joined Lifetime Fitness in Johns Creek... I would normally see 50% white guys and 50% Koreans in the suana and pool area. These days... I see 100% Koreans in the pool area. Yesterday I see two Korean guys around my dad's age reading a Korean newpaper in sauna. I wished I had my camera...so i can post up a pic on city-data.

2. There is a new Korean lady they hired at Lifetime in Johns Creek who always greets me in Korean every time i show my membership card at the front desk. "Please have a pleasant workout." I am thinking to myself.... "Girl... I am a 2.0 Gen Korean American. You don't have to greet me in Korean. English is my native tongue.

3. Same thing when i enter Bank of America and Chase in Johns Creek & S. Forsyth. I am starting to see more and more Korean there. They also just hired two Korean bankers and they greet me in Korean. "ahn young hae sae yo"

4. Same thing when i goto the USPS postal office at Duluth and Suwanee.

I guess the point i am trying make is that just within a short 6 month period of moving out here.... you can literally see the Korean community growing so rapidly right in front of your eyes. I've never seen anything like this growing up in the Chicago burbs.

Wikipedia states that the fastest growing Korean population is taking place in Atlanta. What Wikipedia is saying is for REAL. I just wonder where they are all migrating from? Are they coming directly from Seoul? Los Angeles, New York, Chicago etc?

Last edited by mrpanda; 01-03-2012 at 09:13 PM..

Old 01-03-2012, 11:26 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Hey MrPanda, question for you....

I don't want to seem sterotypical, but the common wisdom is that it takes 3 generations for immigrants to fully assimilate. I have noticed with Asian cultures, it is often much faster than that (I don't know about Korean specifically, but I assume it is the same). Sometimes you will see children of recent Asian immigrants that don't even speak their native language anymore...but even if they do, they are still perfectly assimilated Americans.

So what I am wondering is, do you think the Korean town feel of the area is sustainable? What do you suppose it will look like 20 years from now? I imagine the immigration could continue, but if it doesn't and the Korean families all have children that are basically Americans who will probably have less interest in keeping the Korean culture alive, what do you suppose will happen to the area? Will the kids turn the businesses into things they like, sell them, or try to run them as is? Or is there a good chance the immigration will continue?

Next time you are at Lifetime Fitness in Johns Creek and see a white guy, make sure to wave....it'll be me!

Old 01-04-2012, 01:07 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times
it's so weird— i live in alpharetta and driving east towards norcross, you get out around medlock bridge road heading into gwinnett county, all the signs are in korean! atlanta is becoming such an international place, it's so cool!

Old 01-04-2012, 07:35 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Wikipedia states that the fastest growing Korean population is taking place in Atlanta. What Wikipedia is saying is for REAL. I just wonder where they are all migrating from? Are they coming directly from Seoul? Los Angeles, New York, Chicago etc?
An informal polling of my Korean friends and associates:

10 from NYC (of which 4 were originally from SK)
8 directly from SK
5 from DC (of which one is from SK)
1 from LA

Old 01-04-2012, 07:54 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,986,744 times
I'm interested in the 2011 immigration yearbook coming out. Should be pretty soon.

Is 2010, Atlanta was #4 in new Korean immigrants (trailing distantly LA, NYC, and a good bit behind Washington), but if you added SF and SJ together they narrowly beat out Atlanta. The same was true in 2009, but we are closer to SF/SJ combined in 2010 compared to 2009.

All in all, Korean immigration is down (a result of the country becoming wealthier), but it's still a major source of America's immigrants, in a tier with countries like Jamaica, Colombia, and Vietnam. Definitely a very good country to have ties to, given its recent economic performance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta