U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-08-2011, 05:44 AM

1,954 posts, read 1,822,925 times
Default Best time to drive through Atlanta

and how long does it take? We'll be taking a cross country trip and we're trying to decide if we should go through TN to avoid Atlanta (that's the long way) or just push on through.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-08-2011, 06:13 AM

7,650 posts, read 8,862,205 times
OMG...have the fear mongers made things sound so bad that people are willing to go miles and hours out of their way to avoid Atlanta?

Where are you coming from, on what route, and at what time of day?

If you come through on I-75/85 (aka "the connector") southbound from the northern suburbs in the AM, you may hit some stop and go traffic. Same for northbound in the PM. Reverse is true from the southern suburbs.

If you come east on I-20 from the west part of the state in the AM, you will hit some stop and go. Likewise westbound from the east. Reverse is true in the PM.

While accidents can always happen, and bad weather can make things worse, a trip through town may encounter some stop and go traffic, and you may not fly through like you will in off hours. Maybe an extra 30 minutes from one side of town to the other? Maybe an extra 60 min if you hit traffic on both sides of town?

I fly home to Atlanta many times around 6pm and hit the roads by the airport south of the city and come through town to my home in the northern suburbs. It can take me around an hour to get home at that time.

Unread 03-08-2011, 08:17 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,028,685 times
If you're approaching town at 8-9AM or 5-6PM, you might be in for a 30min-1 hour delay. Obviously if something horrible happens, this can be longer (as is true anywhere). I-285 is your friend, depending on your route (avoid the top end, and if you are just going straight through on one interstate, it is usually better to just go straight through downtown).

What is the route going to be?

Unread 03-08-2011, 09:46 AM

6,003 posts, read 17,313,766 times
Seeing how the OP never answered last time the question was asked- I'd just forget about this post.
Looking for vacation rental south of Atlanta

Unread 03-08-2011, 03:17 PM

1,954 posts, read 1,822,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Seeing how the OP never answered last time the question was asked- I'd just forget about this post.
Looking for vacation rental south of Atlanta
Sorry about that. We're planning a cross country move and I have 4 young children as well as food allergies that make it difficult for us to eat on the road. I'm just trying to gather information.

We will be driving south from NC (Raleigh-Charlotte-Atlanta) then west (I think the route turns west shortly s of Atlanta) to Houston, Texas.

Thanks for any information. We're still not sure if we're going to stop in Atlanta for the night or continue on to Montgomery, AL. Depends on what time of day we leave. Things are still up in the air with the movers.

Unread 03-08-2011, 04:10 PM

91 posts, read 119,913 times
12:30am to 3:30 am

Unread 03-08-2011, 04:26 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,028,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Sorry about that. We're planning a cross country move and I have 4 young children as well as food allergies that make it difficult for us to eat on the road. I'm just trying to gather information.

We will be driving south from NC (Raleigh-Charlotte-Atlanta) then west (I think the route turns west shortly s of Atlanta) to Houston, Texas.

Thanks for any information. We're still not sure if we're going to stop in Atlanta for the night or continue on to Montgomery, AL. Depends on what time of day we leave. Things are still up in the air with the movers.
You'll be on I-85 the whole way then. Seems like you should try to arrive in early afternoon and shoot straight through. Traffic on southbound I-85 headed out of town is typically very tame; even at 5PM you'd probably not have too much of a problem.

If you stay in Atlanta, stay on the southside (such as Newnan) so you won't need to deal with traffic in the morning. Staying on the northside would be a huge mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta