Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 11:43 AM

8 posts, read 18,059 times

Advertisements

Hi All! This site has been really helpful in my initial research on ATL neighborhoods. Was hoping to start my own thread and get some information.

Background - Me and my husband are in our early 30s and are moving to ATL in just weeks (my new job is relocating me). We will rent temporariliy before buying a house. Would love to hear the pro/cons of the areas I've listed, E Cobb (Sope Creek area), Smynings/Mableton, Intown neighborhoods w/ good schools. I'm thinking we can't afford the type of house we want in town...but maybe Decatur? Thanks!

1. Budget - $550K max
2. House/Condo/Townhome? House w/ garage and basement (finished or unfinished), prefereably open floor plan
3. Employment Status - Iwill commute downtown and he will commute downtown and to the airport - Would like to keep commute under 45mins
4. Children - Not yet but hopefully soon...Looking for very good elemantary schools would consider private school for h.s.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - I guess suburban close-in or in-town w/ neighborhood feel and yard
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Don't care
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - Young professionals w/ kids. We are looking for a neighborhood with couples around our age with young kids. My vision of the perfect neighborhood would be hanging out with the neighbors sipping wine or beers while our kids play in the cul-de-sac.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 11:58 AM

187 posts, read 403,836 times
If you want a cul-de-sac, check out Dunwoody. Your budget could put you in a great swim and tennis subdivision called Redfield, overflowing with young children. It also feeds into a great elementary school. The commute downtown wouldnt be bad. Also check out North Brookhaven, in the 30319 zip-code: Murphey Candler Park, Byrnwyck, Hampton Hall, Brittany, and Cambridge Park subdivisions. East Cobb is good, but dont forget that you have to cross the river to get anywhere intown, which can be a bear.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:04 PM

We looked in Dunwoody last weekend and didn't love the fact that all the houses were older, but I have heard good things. Maybe we need to try again. I think my husband was a lifeguard at the Redfield pool when he was in h.s.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:25 PM

190 posts, read 318,590 times
I would check out Smyrna. I live in the Williams Park area and there are lots of large home choices that fit well in your budget. For $550k you could build a nice semi-custom house in the area as well.
In my neighborhood alone there are over 85 kids under the age of 2. There is a great neighborhood feel to the area and it is a very "front porch" friendly area. Plus, downtown is less than 20 minutes away, and I can get to the airport in 25 - 30 minutes. Buckhead is a very easy drive as well.
Dunwoody is great, but it can get very congested, and you'll be paying around $400k for a 1960's type ranch...maybe a little less now with the current housing market, but still, you'll be in an older house.
I would skip Mableton, but the parts around the Silver Comet trail are nice, but you can forget about the schools.
There is a new elementary school being built near the high school in Smyrna, so that should help the area too.
The main reason I'm pushing Smyrna in your case is because you mentioned your husband works near the airport and you can get a very nice new house for your budget.
East Cobb is a great area as well, but like the other poster said, you have to cross the river every day, and you're more "land locked" there. Also, the houses tend to be a little older, built in the 80's and 90's generally...not that they're THAT old, but still, you should decide if new vs. used house matters to you.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:21 PM

I think we will rent in Smyrna and have definitely seen nice houses there. The hesitation I have is that I keep hearing that people move in and then when their kids hit school age they move out to seek out better schools. I think I heard that Teasley is the only one to consider but it's still not a top school compared to E Cobb or the better Atlanta public schools. Is that a fair assessment?

Old 03-10-2011, 01:47 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNew2ATL View Post
I think we will rent in Smyrna and have definitely seen nice houses there. The hesitation I have is that I keep hearing that people move in and then when their kids hit school age they move out to seek out better schools. I think I heard that Teasley is the only one to consider but it's still not a top school compared to E Cobb or the better Atlanta public schools. Is that a fair assessment?
Nickajack Elementary is good. Someone listed something about the "Golden Five" elementary schools in Smyrna a while back... Here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/14886063-post10.html

Old 03-10-2011, 01:59 PM

190 posts, read 318,590 times
That was one of our concerns when we bought the house, but we're hoping that this new elementary school will be a huge improvement in the area. If they ever finish up Jonquil village and Belmont Hills, AND the new school is successful, I think Smyrna could be set for another growth spurt...at least we're all hoping.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:44 PM

187 posts, read 403,836 times
No offense to Smyrna or its residents, I just think with the OP's budget she could get into a very well-established ITP area with great schools. 550k would get you into in the 30342 and 30327 zip codes (Buckhead and Sandy Springs), served by the awesome Buckhead elementary schools, or Heards Ferry in Sandy Springs, which is also very good. There is also newer construction in 30319 (Brookhaven), in that price range, and served by top-notch Montgomery Elementary.

With 550k, go ITP! It will be worth it in terms of commute.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:44 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodhipster View Post
No offense to Smyrna or its residents, I just think with the OP's budget she could get into a very well-established ITP area with great schools. 550k would get you into in the 30342 and 30327 zip codes (Buckhead and Sandy Springs), served by the awesome Buckhead elementary schools, or Heards Ferry in Sandy Springs, which is also very good. There is also newer construction in 30319 (Brookhaven), in that price range, and served by top-notch Montgomery Elementary.

With 550k, go ITP! It will be worth it in terms of commute.
To the airport, though? I have the impression that Smyrna might have a better airport commute than some of your suggestions.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:35 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,535,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
To the airport, though? I have the impression that Smyrna might have a better airport commute than some of your suggestions.
This is a very good point...shooting down 285 from Smyrna/Vinings is really quick, way faster than dealing with the connector from the other areas, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta