Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 07:25 PM

190 posts, read 316,587 times

Advertisements

I just don't understand when people say "I hear there's racism in Atlanta", or similar statements. Are you really that naive, sheltered or ignorant to make such a statement? Of course there's racism everywhere, but seriously, have you ever been anywhere else in the world? Where did you get your info from...a 1950's encyclopedia? I get so mad when I hear people from supposedly "enlightened" areas say the south is so racist. This is 2011...don't be so flipin' ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 07:38 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,803,393 times
^^^^ Couldn't have said it better myself (and y'all know I would). There's probably more "racists" in Utah than Georgia or Florida ...

Old 03-11-2011, 09:19 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,583,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana6703 View Post

I'm curious as to which of these two cities make for better living. I hear schools aren't as good in FL, but I hear racism exists in GA. Crime is probably a factor in both, but I'm looking more at the areas surrounding these major cities vs. directly in them. I'm sure there are goods and bad for each, just like any place, but I'm interested in seeing how many people would choose FL over GA, or vice versa. What is great? What deters you from the other?

What would you prefer and why?

I prefer Atlanta. Nothing about Orlando excites me.

However young people in their 20s might find Orlando exciting. There's lots of young tourists in town looking for fun. But hitting the bars gets old, and then the day eventually arrives when you're no longer young yourself. Hitting the bars eventually has an expiration date.

Orlando:

1. Boring topgraphy unless you like flat terrain.

2. Florida beaches are relatively close. However I don't find Florida beaches that great. Compared to California beaches, Florida beaches are kind of boring. Again, flat, boring terrain.

3. A lower median income than Atlanta. Orlando has tons of low paying jobs in the service sector.

4. Daily afternoon thunderstorms in the summer that you can set your clock to. The sky gets very dark and then the rain begins. The only good thing is that the temperature drops.

5. Higher humidity. The heat seems to be a lot more intense than in Atlanta.

6. A transient population which can attract criminal activity.

7. Too many tourists.

8. If you're buying a house, insurance rates are much higher due to the ever-present threat of hurricanes.

9. Hurricanes. Many people assume Orlando is relatively immune from hurricanes, but hurricanes are always a potential threat to the city.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:54 PM

I will add that all my friends who live in ORLANDO love to call it BORE-LANDO. This always seems puzzling to an outsider, who thinks of Orlando as a paradise of endless theme parks. But when you LIVE next door to those theme parks or, worse, WORK at those theme parks, the thrill wears off very quickly. And it is true: While there are "some" professional jobs to be had in the Orlando Metro, and some relatively nice areas away from the tourist crowds, the vast majority of the jobs there, and the housing there, is geared toward the service sector, with very transient, rundown and trashy areas in close proximity to many of the resorts. Orlando is a tourist town first; everything else is secondary. This is in contrast, I think, to a place like Savannah where I live, which does indeed have a HUGE tourism market and accompanying service sector, but it is PART of the overall economy and does not dominate it.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:10 PM

357 posts, read 780,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I will add that all my friends who live in ORLANDO love to call it BORE-LANDO. This always seems puzzling to an outsider, who thinks of Orlando as a paradise of endless theme parks. But when you LIVE next door to those theme parks or, worse, WORK at those theme parks, the thrill wears off very quickly. And it is true: While there are "some" professional jobs to be had in the Orlando Metro, and some relatively nice areas away from the tourist crowds, the vast majority of the jobs there, and the housing there, is geared toward the service sector, with very transient, rundown and trashy areas in close proximity to many of the resorts. Orlando is a tourist town first; everything else is secondary. This is in contrast, I think, to a place like Savannah where I live, which does indeed have a HUGE tourism market and accompanying service sector, but it is PART of the overall economy and does not dominate it.
http://www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...o-Economy.html

Old 03-12-2011, 12:12 AM

16 posts, read 61,858 times
i appreciate all the thoughts. i have been to florida quite a bit, but never georgia. but i've heard a lot of great things about georgia. i apologize if people took me as ignorant about the question on racism, i just read a lot of forums that mentioned it. nothing more. i have no problem with the issue. it was just a question. and yes, i have lived in more than just utah :P i am originally from washington.

it is nice to know about the housing issues on insurance, i would be looking to buy a home, yes, so that is a consideration. also, i do agree that i'm not too fond of the heat, i've been there when it is bad, and i HATED it :P i also freak about the hurricane situation. especially with recent news. georgia sounds like a very nice place to live, my only issue would be the line of work. the job opportunity is for home healthcare, meaning "where do people think to retire?" kind of thing. that is why i looked into florida. seems like it would be a bit higher for seniors to choose over georgia. then again, i could be entirely wrong. it is nice that i have the choice of wherever i'd like to go, but it also is a curse, because it means me guessing where would the better opportunity be for that kind of a market. that might help expand the explanation why i'm even considering comparing these two states :P long story short, i like georgia. but i think work might be better for that kind of work in florida. if i'm wrong, let me know :P

sorry again if i offended anyone. it was just a question. i have a five year old son who will be going into first grade, and i didn't want to be exposing him to people who treat others crappy if it was a big issue. but i get that it is everywhere. it's just that let's face it, utah is pretty white :P i don't believe in people hating people. everyone is equal. and i've taught my son that. so that was my thinking in asking. but only after seeing it popping up too many times. just being a mom sorry :P

Old 03-12-2011, 12:50 AM

There are THOUSANDS of jobs in the home healtthcare field in Georgia and especially Metro Atlanta. I know this for a fact: My father is in rehab recovery from having a brain tumor removed, and then suffering a heart attack and stroke in recovery, while an uncle is in advanced stages of Alzheimers and on home hospice. Each of the health networks they are in (my dad and uncle) have hugh turnover because the jobs are so plentiful and the supply of skilled providers limited, so companies are constantly outbiddding each other for good people. You can pretty much write your ticket (hours, pay rate) for home health care jobs in Georgia. This state has a huge aging population, and a lot of Florida retirees are actually coming here now.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:48 AM

744 posts, read 2,472,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPeach View Post
This may not be a big deal, but for me I would choose Atlanta over Florida because of the hurricanes. Yes I know a hurricane can come as far inland as Atlanta (Hurricane Opal '95) but I would feel more exposed living in Florida/Orlando than Atlanta when a hurricane hits. Also in traveling to escape a pending hurricane, I think traffic might be horrendous...and of course securing your home every time there is a warning....

Maybe I am blowing this out of proportion but I've been in a couple of hurricanes so I truly respect their power...just like being a bit more inland when they hit...
I could not agree more.
In 2004 when Orlando was hit by hurricanes 3 times in one hurricane season (Charlie, Francis, and Jean, I believe were thier names ) that firmly convienced me that Orlando isn't the most ideal place to live .

Old 03-12-2011, 06:38 AM

4,688 posts, read 7,988,675 times
Ma'am racism exist in every state in America. Ask Mexicans do racism exist in Arizona. Ask white people if racism exist in Miami or LA. Ask black people if racism exist in Utah or Boston.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:16 AM

16 posts, read 61,858 times
I already agreed there is racism everywhere

thank you for the GA info on healthcare. Much appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta