Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2007, 12:57 PM

103 posts, read 326,867 times

Advertisements

Ok,

Now that I know where I am moving to and have the apt, I need a truck.

Ok, being that the only moving that I did was with my mother, I had no idea that moving would be so expensive. Trucks are quoting $1300 to $2000. Moving companies are quoting $1500 to $3000. I am not taking alot of things with me. Right now I am throwing away a bunch of stuff. So wanting to pay these prices are killing me.

Do any of you that did the relocation thing...did you use a company or a truck? If you did can you give me a recomendation? Am I just stressing this too much?

Thanks Guys...I know that you would never steer me wrong and give me great ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 01:51 PM

894 posts, read 4,339,507 times
Check out movingscam.com There is tons of info on there about bad companies, great companies, customer reviews, etc. We found our mover from Fl to Ga and had a wonderful experience.

You can do a lot of your own packing which saves $$ if you use a moving company.

You can also check out some of the companies that bring the truck and you load...I can't think of the name right now, but I believe they would be on that website that I mentioned before.

Good luck, moving does suck

Old 07-25-2007, 02:23 PM

209 posts, read 544,097 times
You might check craigslist under movers or moving and ride share. Sometimes trucks are going to your area and you can share the cost.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:50 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,994,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tab1975 View Post
Do any of you that did the relocation thing...did you use a company or a truck? If you did can you give me a recomendation? Am I just stressing this too much?
My wife and I boxed everything up ourselves, rented a pair of U-Haul trucks in the Twin Cities (one large, one somewhat smaller) and drove them the 1,100 miles or so to Atlanta with our cars in tow.

I wouldn't recommend U-Haul. :-) While we did get here safely, it was a bit of an adventure (my truck had a problem which made the engine light come on and the dash start a continuous warning beep after a few dozen miles, the oil dipstick was broken so we couldn't check the oil level, and its parking brake didn't hold very well on slopes so the truck started rolling in an inclined parking lot without me in it during a fast food stop -- I had to run and jump back in it to stop it from rolling away, something that wasn't a relaxing moment!).

Old 07-25-2007, 04:46 PM

183 posts, read 1,004,461 times
When we relocated from Ct. to Ga., we went through all our "stuff". What we absolutely couldn't live without...we took and replaced the rest by buying new when the move was over. We did have a moving company move us, though. I believe it was "Nationwide" if I remember correctly.I agree it is extremely expensive and I have heard horror stories about the movers going from state to state. My aunt moved from NY to Myrtle Beach...her tv, stereo and some other high ticket items never made it to SC! If you don't itemize EVERYTHING, they do not cover your loss! I would suggest since you aren't moving very much, rent a Ryder or U haul and tow your vehicle. You can hire help to unload when you get here. Best of luck to you!

Old 07-25-2007, 09:28 PM

33 posts, read 98,722 times
There is a company called the moving doctors located in long island look them up on line. I used then to move from Brooklyn to Orlando they did a great job $1000....................Plan on using them to leave Orlando for Atl.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:48 AM

10 posts, read 55,895 times
we're moving from South Florida to Alpharetta we've used Penske & Uhaul Penske was nicer. Now we're going to use Budget in a few weeks, and thats because they are having a special right now making it 300 dollars cheaper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: