U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 10:04 AM

10 posts, read 17,959 times

Advertisements

Hi to all. I am new here and could really use some advice on a potential move to Sun City Peachtree. I am not asking all the traditional questions since they have all been covered before and I can search for them. I have a specific concern that I want to raise.

My wife and I are in our mid 60s. We have a daughter in her early 30s that lives with us and may always do so. My question is related to whether she will fit into the community. She is a substitute teacher working part time with special Ed students and would like to pick up similar work near Sun City Peachtree.

Will she be welcomed at activities or is the age difference with the demographic too great? Are there others in her age range.
Any comments and advice would be most welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 12:06 PM

2,742 posts, read 725,854 times
I don't live at Sun City, although I have toured other Del Webb communities. My understanding is that it is an "active adult community" where each household must have at least one resident who is over 55. Usually people under 18 are not allowed as permanent residents. That said, you all meet the age requirements. Chances are that your daughter would not be the only under 55 resident, what with men with their younger trophy wives ( ) and kids moving in back with their parents after college and divorce.

Definitely most people in the community will be much older than her. Most people in their 30's would probably prefer to not live in this type of community. Your daughter could always try to find some social events nearby away from the community so that she can occasionally be with her peers.

I live in a community intended for people over 55, but it is not restricted to over 55, as is Del Webb. Consequently, we do have a couple who are in their 30's who bought here since it is handicapped-accessible. They have since adopted a baby---which may be a first for an adult community! So far, no issues with having a child here. I moved in when I was under 55 (was 52) since it wasn't restricted. The 30 year olds are welcome and included in all activities. I would hope it would be the same at a Del Webb community, with the exception of something like the Red Hat Society, which is restricted for women over 50.

Who don't you take advantage of the one or two night stay that Del Webb offers so you can live there for 24 to 48 hours, attend some activities, and get a feeling for how it would be?

Old 05-15-2011, 02:07 PM

12 posts, read 35,190 times
Default Children over 30

I live in sun city and their are many grown children living with parents here. This is a lively community and the spirit is youthful, I believe she would be amazed at the number of activities that she would enjoy in the community.
This is not like a typical nursing home community it is a thriving active community.

She will find that there are others her age here. Trophy wives haven't seen or meet any but the community is very active and welcoming to all.

Any activity she could possible be interested in is here, even Zumba!!!!

Old 03-06-2012, 02:31 PM

8 posts, read 36,795 times
Hi
Having grown children living with parents in a 55+ for a short time is ok but beyond that I would not like it.
The youth of today are into loud music especially rap music, so l know l wouldn't want to listen to it.

But if the person is well educated and respects others then they are welcome.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:30 PM

2,585 posts, read 3,732,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingman99 View Post
Hi
Having grown children living with parents in a 55+ for a short time is ok but beyond that I would not like it.
The youth of today are into loud music especially rap music, so l know l wouldn't want to listen to it.

But if the person is well educated and respects others then they are welcome.
Oh come on gramps... like that's anything new. "These kids today!!! Get off my lawn!"

"Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book"

-Cicero 1st Century BC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta